whats everyones view on ther Linn Classik

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Innovative - at the time - all-in-one CD/amp, later upgraded with the addition of a tuner and later Linn's Knekt multiroom capability. Still extremely good - even in the light of more recent rivals - and more than capable of matching separates performance while offering convenience and a compact form.

Range later supplemented with the Classik Movie, at which point the original Classik became the Classik Music (not Musik, strangely!). You can buy the Classik Music for under £700, as well as in various packages with Linn's Komponent speakers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Think both the Audio Analogue Enigma and the Arcam Solo offer better sound-per-pound performance.....Definitely also check these out before you buy the Linn.

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I can't help mentioning what seems to me a very good deal: There is an ex review Audio Analogue Enigma unit for 685 pounds (instead of 850-900) on the UKD site (http://www.ukd.co.uk/) - the bargains section... This unit paired with the Epos' M5's (there are reduced pairs on Epos's site at only 300 pounds - http://www.epos-acoustics.com/mainshop.asp) would get you one of the BEST setups for the money at only 985 pounds!... As Clare has said, the Audio Analogue is clearly a better sounding system than the Linn... As for the Epos M5's - these are by now legendary speakers made by a legendary company - where can you go wrong?

Just go ahead and buy them!

RAzz

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I got the Linn Classik for a bargain 679 pounds.

Surely worth every penny. And it even has a digital output too so in future I will get a DAC.

What do you think.

By the way i listened to Arcam solo and found it a disappointment. I found the sound to be lame and also the build quality is poor especially the buttons.

I was going to buy the Audio Analogue Enigma but I went for Linn as the price was too tempting and the upgrade options are good especially since it has digital output.

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Amen to that! Thank God you did get something in the end! :)

Please let us now know how it works - and especially how you found it sounded when compared with the Arcam...

And congrats on your purchase - it sounds like a good deal! Well done!

What speakers are you partnering the unit with?

Razz

A

Anonymous

Arcam Solo, Linn Classik and Onkyo CR-715 all tested with B&W 303 speakers and the Onkyo won hands down. Even a Linn Tech was suprised how well the onkyo performed wouldn't quite admit defeat but then he works for them and i'm totally impartial. Arcam Solo was very poor in both our opinions. If your on a budget amazingly £300 will get you the onkyo and you won't be dissapointed. Plus throw in MP3 playback, DAB and an ipod dock it is real value for money.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Just bought a second hand Linn Classik for £375, that's Onkyo money. Sounds pretty good to me with an old pair of Linn Index LS120s I have. Now looking for a small set of bookshelf speakers to go with it in the bedroom. Maximum 25cm depth is the key, less would be better as then they won't have to be right back against the wall.

A

Anonymous

I got my second hand Classik a few weeks ago and partnered it with a pair of monitor audio rs1's and a project xperience TT.

I have to say I am very impressed with it's performance.

I really have limited room and being all in one means I can fit them both on a target 2 selve wall rack.

Love it.

Kel.

A

Anonymous

I've owned one of the original (non-tuner) Classiks from new...I guess that must be 9 or 10 years or thereabouts now. Prior to that I had a Cambridge/Musical Fidelity/Michell/Mission system but circumstances dictated a change to a one box unit. It kept me pretty happy until recently when I've had chance to revert back to a separates system (which currently the Classik is still supplying the pre-amp/CD portion of until various bits arrive).

If I had the opportunity and means, I would always go for a separates system - but that's not to put the Classik down. I don't know about later units when the tuner was added and whatever other changes were made, but the original Classik was pretty good stuff in its day and, despite the emergence of competitors, can still hold its own IMHO.

I don't know how true it is, but I have read in various places that the more recent Classiks are not as good sonically, so it may be worth listening to an older unit too if you get the chance.

HTH
A

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts