Supported Formats for Playback Options in Windows Differs for Analog Speaker Output and Digital Output

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
The title says it and you can see from these two screenshots that the supported formats for analog and digital output from my computer on Windows 10 differ. Does that mean digital output doesn't support sampling frequencies other than what's listed? Does this apply to exclusive mode output in Tidal or any other software as well? If this is so doesn't that mean unsupported frequencies will be upsampled/downsampled? I'd like to use digital output instead of USB for my USB DAC to reduce noise but at the same time want to avoid upsampling/downsampling. Thanks!

1.png

2.png

Reactions: Rodolfo

WayneKerr

The title says it and you can see from these two screenshots that the supported formats for analog and digital output from my computer on Windows 10 differ. Does that mean digital output doesn't support sampling frequencies other than what's listed? Does this apply to exclusive mode output in Tidal or any other software as well? If this is so doesn't that mean unsupported frequencies will be upsampled/downsampled? I'd like to use digital output instead of USB for my USB DAC to reduce noise but at the same time want to avoid upsampling/downsampling. Thanks!

View attachment 5629

View attachment 5630
You're worrying too much. CD quality is all you'll ever need. The quality of the original recording is what really matters.

Reactions: ianrjones

Dom

USB is way better than optical. ;)

USB allows the DAC to act in host mode. This is more stable in terms of timing precision because it initiates and controls communication to the DAC, reducing jitter.

In terms of sample rates and bit depths, its a good idea to keep them at their default settings. Your DAC should automatically use maximum bit depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: manicm

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
@Dom What happens if the audio is at a sample rate not listed in the supported rates for digital optical when playing in exclusive mode? Does the system upsample/downsample?

Also what do you recommend, USB or digital optical for the DAC connection? USB can introduce noise can't it while digital optical is immune to EMI?

Dom

If the sample rate set by the application is not supported by the audio device, issues such as no sound output or distorted audio will occur.

My £100 Creative G6 DAC has an excellent 120dB SNR out of its jacks according to Audio Science Review. So whether your using optical or USB it doesn't matter in all fairness.

Hope this helps.

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
@Dom My SNR looks to be 117.8 or 119. I guess they used USB for this? Is that good?

Dom

@Dom My SNR looks to be 117.8 or 119. I guess they used USB for this? Is that good?
Yes that's excellent and almost the top end for unbalanced connections, you need to go balanced for higher.

TRENDING THREADS