what would make you replace your current TV?

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm still very happy with my Sony KDLW4000, but while I'm busy 'working' from home I was thinking about what things would persuade me to buy a new TV, and came up with the following very short list:-

Freeview HD AND Freesat built in.
A built in PVR or the ability to seamlessly record to an external USB disk (only acceptable if it has an excellent user interface and full PVR functionality)

er, thats about it really. I'm guessing that built in PVR's won't become the norm until solid state disks get down to a reasonable price as having a disk whirring away inside your telly isn't really ideal, although as long is was only spinning when in use rather than whirring away incessantly (I'm looking at you Sky+) I suppose a normal spinning disk would be bearable.

I really don't give a hoot about 3D. [:)]

So, what features would make you replace your existing set?

D

Deleted member 2457

Well, i would quite like a bigger tv, 1080p also appeals to me and price is a major factor, a nice remote control, a good on and off switch.

No to HZ, no to 3D, no to HD tuner.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel:

Well, i would quite like a bigger tv, 1080p also appeals to me and price is a major factor, a nice remote control, a good on and off switch.

Also no to super black levels and super motion contrast those don't appeal to me just the tv in general.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Don't really watch much TV nowadays. However, something like the Sony EX43B with built-in PVR would be nice. Hooked up to a digital input on the Quad 99 CDP-2, that would be the 'AV side of things' sorted.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A 32" LCD screen that is about 1cm thick and extremely light, so it can be framed and hung on (or screwed flush to) a wall, displaying images from an SD card when not in use. (So it doesn't look like a TV.)

The signal would be wireless from the BluRay/DVD/HDD/twin Freeview HD tuner/iPlayer recorder that is tucked away out of sight.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
bigger screen around the 60" size, with picture quality the defining characteristic, at a good price and thats all, have SKY so don't need built in Freeview, don't care about internet connectability, not fussed about 3D either yet

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
gel:gel:

Also no to super black levels and super motion contrast those don't appeal to me just the tv in general.

I thought you were Mr. Pioneer?! You're going against Pioneer's Kuro masterpieces by saying that!

D

Deleted member 2457

Pindi:gel:gel:

I thought you were Mr. Pioneer?! You're going against Pioneer's Kuro masterpieces by saying that!

I'm not Mr. Pioneer, i'm Gel, when ever i have looked at a pioneer plasma i have just looked at the picture as a whole and from what i have seen it is pretty damn good. I have never looked and how black the blacks were. Some tvs just catch my eyes and i like them so do not.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
gel:Pindi:gel:gel:

I'm not Mr. Pioneer, i'm Gel, when ever i have looked at a pioneer plasma i have just looked at the picture as a whole and from what i have seen it is pretty damn good. I have never looked and how black the blacks were. Some tvs just catch my eyes and i like them so do not.

Mr. Gel? The Kuros produce such amazing pictures because of how good the blacks are, it sets the scene for almost every other aspect of the picture.

A

Anonymous

The main thing that would pursuade me to get a new TV would be that if I managed to stop signing on the dole, and had a job again lol
emotion-4.gif

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
My Ferguson D78N 33" CRT set cost me £1000 in 1995 and I hope to get another 15 years out of it. After that I've got a 29" Sony CRT which I got 2nd hand about 8 years ago for £125 and is rarely used at the moment so that can replace the Ferguson when it dies.

If both the Ferguson and the Sony break then I may consider buying another telly.

Should my disposable income increase significantly then perhaps I'd be tempted to upgrade.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mikegtar:
My Ferguson D78N 33" CRT set cost me £1000 in 1995 and I hope to get another 15 years out of it. After that I've got a 29" Sony CRT which I got 2nd hand about 8 years ago for £125 and is rarely used at the moment so that can replace the Ferguson when it dies.

If both the Ferguson and the Sony break then I may consider buying another telly.

Don't despair. Back in January LG (Korea) announced a new 14" CRT set complete with alien antennae style aerials and tapered chrome legs. Alas, it's only available in S Korea right now.

Bigger pic here.

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi Fido,

I'm with you on the HD, although only Freeview for me, to let me bin the set top box (which all but one manufacturer has listened too - I'm still bitter as I fancied Ambilight on my next TV..;)).

I would also fancy a PVR, but it would have to have unlimited access to the 'net so I don't need the Media PC any more.

I, like you, am not bothered about 3d. Looking at the forums there seems to be a lot of people not too bothered about 3d, but all thinking the Freeview HD is a good idea (and also being tempted by PVR, when it arrives in a silent form)

R

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts