What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
remixeslp.jpg

Cinematic Orchestra Remixes 1998-2000

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Gentle Spirit - Jonathan Wilson (Thanks Dandy C, you're right about the supreme vinyl sound)

2) Old Ideas - Leonard Cohen

3) Me, Myself, I - Joan Armatrading

4) Sue - Frazier Chorus

5) Want Two - Rufus Wainwright

6) Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - Cpt Beefheart.

This is what I've been playing during the last few sessions.

Oh, and the ever mutating majesty of The King Of Limbs.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Listened to a few LP's over the last few days, one of them this one..

516x9v8g5-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For someone with his reputation, he hasn't half released some clunkers over the years, this being one of them. To be fair to EC I don't think he was at his most healthy at the time of this release and it shows. Very average, can't remember why I bought it to be honest.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Picked the Hendrix up from Rugeley Friday and it could be A Farewell to Vinyl for me for a few weeks. Operation tomorrow.

Good luck LA, I was in the same boat exactly 12 months ago. Had a couple of months off work and got some serious listening under my belt
smiley-smile.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
All the best LA.

Listening wise:

1) Gentle Spirit - Jonathan Wilson

Quality sounds/sonics but for me he wears his Laurel Canyon influences a little too much on his sleeve. Less the sum of its parts - and I really wanted to like it. A few more listens may change this view. I'm always open.

2) New Day Rising - Husker Du

Needed to counterblast the semi-soporific Mr Wilson with some melodic venom.

3) Nocturama - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
That was nice . . . had a bit of needle time with:

Chris Rea and 'Autberge'

Geff Becks and 'Guitar Shop'

Alison Krouss, Robert Plant and Raising Sand . . . probably my curent favourit?

Had a few yesterday as well . . . cant remember what they were????? :? old age crept on!

Looking forward to next week, ordered for the third time! Jennifer Warnes, 'the Hunter' . . . see if it arives this time?

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Forgotten about a stash of vinyl and came across these: selections therein.

1) Suede debut LP

2) Getting Away With It - Electronic 12inch

3) Getting The Holy Ghost Across - Bill Nelson

4) No Nukes - various

5) Just Because I Do/The Bear - MMJ

6) The Residents Commerical Album

7) Be With Me - The Red Guitars 12 inch single

All bar no.5 bought many years ago and forgotten about more or less since. Until now.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks DIB and Charlie J, I will not be able to play any vinyl for at least 3 weeks I reckon. :cry:
I’ve had a right ulnar nerve release and medial epicondylectomy 8) . Most people will know what that is ;) but for anyone like me who didn’t :oops: , it’s an operation on my right elbow to release the nerve and stop the tingling in my little finger. It’s better known as Cubital tunnel syndrome and I was out for just over 1 hour and they have cut a piece of bone away to release the nerve.:cheer:

Slow typing this in left handed.

I’m on the CDs, Spotify, Itunes the cricket and a good book if I can find one and I watched the film Hook this morning. Could be an interesting few weeks. :wall:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Thanks DIB and Charlie J, I will not be able to play any vinyl for at least 3 weeks I reckon. :cry:
I’ve had a right ulnar nerve release and medial epicondylectomy 8) . Most people will know what that is ;) but for anyone like me who didn’t :oops: , it’s an operation on my right elbow to release the nerve and stop the tingling in my little finger. It’s better known as Cubital tunnel syndrome and I was out for just over 1 hour and they have cut a piece of bone away to release the nerve.:cheer:

I’m on the CDs, Spotify, Itunes the cricket and a good book if I can find one and I watched the film Hook this morning. Could be an interesting few weeks. :wall:

Wishing you a restful and complete recuperation, LA.

Enjoy the music through those other sources, and hope you find some good books and films too.

At least KP got England over the line in the cricket - partly makes up for the Test series thrashing!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:

That sounds like something that I might have to have done sometime . Although I only occasionally get the tingling in my fingers , I am not able to straighten either of my arms . It is not a problem at the moment , but when I reach your "ripe old age" it might become an issue .

Hope you recovery time is swift and you are back spinning them discs as soon as possible ,

Nick

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:

Speedy recovery LA, That sounds like something that I might have to have done sometime . Although I only occasionally get the tingling in my fingers , I am not able to straighten either of my arms . It is not a problem at the moment , but when I reach your "ripe old age" it might become an issue .

Hope you recovery time is swift and you are back spinning them discs as soon as possible ,

Nick

Speedy recovery LA. Just hope you dont get it in your spine like my Hazel, the tingling becomes accute pain in the legs! . . . Majour operation booked 29th next month, 3 months recovery, then a further 9 months learning how to live and walk again:?

Jennifer Warnes 'the Hunter' vinyl album arived from Diverse Vinyl today, I will give it a spin latter, watch this space.

CJSF

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Following on from best opening tracks to an album thread, had to play this one..

41mqczSAEvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This takes me back, Manchester Apollo circa 1977/78, right at the front. Deaf for about a week afterwards! Great days.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
6100XXBiqJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thumbs up from the wife for your Ramones choice DIB.

Likewise a thumbs up from me for the Byrds! I've not got the vinyl, but got a similar Best of/Greatest on CD. Top stuff.

Following on from the late 70's theme, currently got this spinning..

51qzexOtZmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another great gig!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

61I5KdinQlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's jingle jangle night tonight. The wife's gone to listen to Blur on 6 music.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

No more jingle jangle now, a total change of mood. And it's awesome sounding.

Peter Gabriel - Passion (Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack)

51oiNhrXJlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Monthly record fair visit (Leeds Corn Exchange) this morning, and purchased the following mixed bag for a grand total of £23.

Cleaning them for this evening's session:

Filmore East - Allman Brothers

Ugly Beautiful - Babybird

Secret Secrets - Joan Armatrading

Live To Tell - Madonna 12inch

Caravan debut

Classic Jazz-Funk Vol. 3 - Various

Stack O'Tracks - The Beach Boys

TRENDING THREADS