What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 86 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Freshly Knosti'd and sounding a 1000 times better than it did before:

New+Order+-+Low+Life.jpg

Also Knosti'd & sounding great:

cover2.png

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
That's my joint favourite New Order LP (Technique's the other). Haven't played The Smiths debut for awhile, I always seem to gravitate towards TQID and Strangeways.

Busy Knosti-ing my purchases and getting funny looks from my wife as I soak up the vapours and rituals of this vinyl habit.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Just started listening to the stash I bought at the Bristol Show (Diverse Vinyl yet again tempted me to part with too much money!)

First up, and sounding astonishingly good is Stacey Kent's The Boy Next Door double album:

1311266770_stacey-kent-the-boy-next-door-2004.jpeg

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Monthly record fair visit (Leeds Corn Exchange) this morning, and purchased the following mixed bag for a grand total of £23.

Cleaning them for this evening's session:

Filmore East - Allman Brothers

Ugly Beautiful - Babybird

Secret Secrets - Joan Armatrading

Live To Tell - Madonna 12inch

Caravan debut

Classic Jazz-Funk Vol. 3 - Various

Stack O'Tracks - The Beach Boys

Just keep the Allman Brothers and chuck the rest away , because after listening that the Fillmore LPs the rest will seem superfluous . Well , you can keep the Caravan one , I suppose !

Only joking , Charlie

I woke the house up this morning with a spot of Hocus Pocus . Just to get my own back at my eldest son who came home at 1.30am from the pub and making the missus worried . And she does like to have a good worry !

" I love the sound of yodelling first thing in the morning " - Robert Duvall in Apocolypse Now (or something like that ! )

Nick

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nick,

Yes, the Filmore LP is a mighty fine album. I've had it on CD for awhile but decided to try out a cheapo vinyl copy.

It's in decent nick - I've given it two spin cycles in the Knosti - and it's playing right now to spendid effect.

My wife, who is studying in the next room and my daughter doing likewise upstairs, aren't too keen and are baying for Joan or Madonna or failing that, anything but Caravan.

I trust your son enjoyed his morning reveille. Saw that LP today at the record fair, coincidentally.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Mr M - Lambchop

Side 4 of their latest near-masterwork is rippling through my pre-sleep haze. All glides to a sublime halt with a poignant cover of the Brian Wilson-penned Guess I'm Dumb, originally performed by Glen Campbell.

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I've just "rescued" my old (1970's) Technics SL-J110R turntable and SU-X101 amp from the loft and have been playing:

1) My 5 Dire Straits LP's

2) Julian Bream plays Villa-Lobos RCA SB6852

Surely I couldn't get more diverse than that?!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Wardio said:
I've just "rescued" my old (1970's) Technics SL-J110R turntable and SU-X101 amp from the loft and have been playing:

1) My 5 Dire Straits LP's

2) Julian Bream plays Villa-Lobos RCA SB6852

Surely I couldn't get more diverse than that?!

Of course you could , try a bit harder !

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Been a bit destracted this week again, hospital, doctors. Looking at Scott Walker and the Walker Brothers, researching Kathleen Ferrier and a young lady called Kathryn Rudge. I recon Kathryn Rudge is going to be very big in crossover opera music during the next 3 or 4 years if managed right? However that was last week, all listening was on Spotify.

Treated myself this afternoon to some vinyl, dug deep, pulled out some LP that I have not played since the mid 80's . . . ;)

First out, Dire Straits, 'Brothers in Arms', such an under rated record, some say boring . . . its my style of laid back 'music' great base line, with some superb detail in the background, attributes I put down to the new wood cones supporting the TT.

Earl Klugh 'Living inside your Love', a Nimbus Supercut recording commissioned by 'HiFi Today' in 1976. Superb acoustic guitar, with a jazz feel to it.

Then a revelation, I had forgotten just how good Quincy Jones was and his album 'The Dude' I think helped again by the improved detail and bass from the turn table.

Finally a record I dont think I have played for over 25 years, I certainly did not appreciate it back then, 'The Jazz Guitar Anthology vol.3'. Various named guitarists; Charles Christian, Oscar Moore, Irvine Ashby, Tiny Grimes, Toots Thielemans . . . Then I turned the sleeve over, the sleeve notes read like a who's who of 1940 bands; Benny Goodman Orchestra, Edmond Hall Quartet, Count Basie, Lester Young, Art Tatum trio, King Cole Trio, George Shearing Quintet.

The recordings were taken from the period, 1939-1949.

A pleasure to listen to, no compression . . . the SQ is remarkable despite the age of the originals, I would say the 1983 compilation is just the right time to maximise recording technology without over doing it . . . ?

A most enjoyable and relaxing afternoon.

CJSF

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I have just returned from a lovely couple of days away in Newcastle/Northumberland. Whilst having a good walk around the city centre I "accidently" came upon a rather wonderful 2nd hand vinyl store (Isn't Google wonderful) called Steel Wheels. Needless to say I had to have a good look around. Loads of stuff right up my street. Came aaway with the following selection..

J.J.Cale - Okie

John Martyn - One World

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

Nils Lofgren - Cry Tough

9 Below Zero - Don't Point Your Finger

The Steve Miller Band - Living In The USA

Mountain - The Best Of Mountain

I could have spent a small fortune in there, but happy with my purchases. I'm going to give them a good clean tomorrow and see how I go.

Here's a link to the shop http://www.steel-wheels.co.uk/

Well worth a visit, Rob the owner is a really nice guy to chat to.

Oh and by the way the beer up there is top notch too, I can heartily recommend the Crown Posada down at the Quayside. Fantastic choice of local ales, and to cap it all playing away by the bar were a fine selection of R'n'B LP's on a vintage Dynatron record player, probably from a 50's vintage.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like a goods trip DIB. Nice mixed bag of records too.

For me tonight it's been:

1) Gentle Spirit - Jonathan Wilson

2) In Through The Outdoor - Zep

3) Songs For Drella - Lou Reed/John Cale

4) Sgt.Pepper - The Beatles

5) Wincing The Night Away - The Shins

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Raining this afternoon so its another dig into the long-time unplayed vinyl at 'CJFS Towers'. Five LP's this afternoon, first was Charly Antolin quartet including Charly on drums, **** Morissey saxophone, Brian Lemon piano and Len Skeat bass, album; 'Cookin'. This is an album they signed for me when I heard them live in 1991. How could I have forgotten this jazz gem, it will see much more needle time.

Next, Joni Mitchell, 'Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm' . . . Joni is a folkie type singer, afraid this album does not do it for me.

Chris Rea, 'Deltics', I prefer his later work.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood, 'Pleasure Dome' . . . wow!!! always thought this was a bit raw, either I have changed or my system is doing the business. I think its the latter, turn the wick up, listen to Welcome to the Pleasure Dome and War, drive the speakers to within an inch of their life, fry an egg on the amp!!! Despite this volume abuse it was as sweet as a nut, no distortion, all the layers were there, depth, width, timing perfect . . . Granddad and Grandmar!!! getting a buzz, if only we could dance? The system is spot on, especially the TT, there was enough in there to encourage miss tracking and distortion, not a twitch!

Something a little more easy on the ear, Paul Simon and 'Graceland', again a record I had dismissed back in the 80's . . . wrong, superb production, different, musical, I had to play both sides.

Finally, currently playing, the Carpenters, 'Now &Then' . . . after the drive of Pleasure Dome and the superb production of Graceland, this is a real pleasure. Laid back, brings back many good memories of my very early days of married life and those first tentative moves into hifi, Bush record player and Stereo ad on . . . Considering the amount of play time (we did not have a TV in those days) with not the best stylus, the recording is most enjoyable, very clean.

Happy days, CJSF

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Many years ago when I was going around dealers trying out new TT's I used to take with me Chris Rea's Wired to the Moon as it's an excellent tester for performance and is actually a good album to boot.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm playing selections from Canterbury scene bands tonight:

1) Caravan debut LP

2) Hatfield & The North first LP

3) Donestan - Robert Wyatt

Only recently bought number 1, but the other two have been neglected for too long.

Now, I've just got to persuade my older brother to "loan" me his Egg, Gong and Daevid Allen solo LPs, so I can fully immerse myself in the prog-psych waters.

Also been loving the CD re-issues of the two Matching Mole LPs, both really interesting albums.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I was given a copy of Matching Moles Little Red Album years again and never listened to it . With all the recent interest in the band I gave it a spin and was pleasantly surprised . I will give it another play later ,

Nick

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm rather jealous of your Little Red Record. I presume you mean the very hard to get hold of vinyl version, Nick? I think my brother's got both of them on vinyl but he's certainly got no intention of parting with them. Enjoy!!!

I'm really enjoying this little phase of prog-garde(!). Tonight it's one of the Daevid Allen solo albums and more Mr Wyatt - solo or guesting with Hatfield. To my surprise, my wife isn't averse to any of it either, which aids attempts at domestic harmony. She keeps saying Hatfield & The North sound like a big influence on one of our joint favourite bands, Belle & Sebastian. Never thought of it before but I can sort of see what she means.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
El Hefe said:
And another aaaaahhh

imagejpeg

Yeah, you haven't quite got the hang of this have you? You can't embed images directly from your PC, it needs to be hosted on a web-based platform, like flickr or some such.

Naaaaahhh it was there for about 20 mins or so.... Then the pics dissapeared. Not sure why.

Its norah Jones ...Featuring and also the second aaaahhh is Ella and Louis ... Together...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
El Hefe said:
The_Lhc said:
El Hefe said:
And another aaaaahhh

imagejpeg

Yeah, you haven't quite got the hang of this have you? You can't embed images directly from your PC, it needs to be hosted on a web-based platform, like flickr or some such.

Naaaaahhh it was there for about 20 mins or so....

It might have been for you but it wouldn't have been for anyone else. The links don't point anywhere, nobody else would see anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts