What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 84 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Good session tonight..

51eMXmj2O1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51WIh7xnmFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31vRxEQ0XxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
515GijE3tiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51QSjCeK6qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Who needs a TV?

Like it...who needs a tv indeed :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm still listening to the wondrous Mr.Cohen's Old Ideas LP. Loved it on first listen (via Spotify a week or so ago), but the vinyl version currently spinning is something else. Next up, if I don't simply replay Laughing Len, will be something by The Doors or The Who.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

51jNtzSXPLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This was either the first or second album I ever bought, and after playing Cope's Fried the other day, I thought I'd give it a spin.

Still love it, and the original issue hasn't got Reward on it, that was added after it was such a big hit.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
51jNtzSXPLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This was either the first or second album I ever bought, and after playing Cope's Fried the other day, I thought I'd give it a spin.

Still love it, and the original issue hasn't got Reward on it, that was added after it was such a big hit.

And either Julian's strapped for cash or having a Druidic de-cluttering ceremony because he's selling his vinyl on eBay.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Really? What's his ebay id?

And how do you know it's him?

It was in a newsletter/email I received from Record Collector magazine. Last time I checked there were some really cool, possibly extremely expensive items. One that caught my eye was an original of one of the early Beefheart albums.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Are you not going to give me any more clues? Would be interesting to see, but I can't find anything.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I should have looked harder before asking again. Think I've found him. 11 records and 1 guitar for sale yes?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I should have looked harder before asking again. Think I've found him. 11 records and 1 guitar for sale yes?

Hi Big Bern,

Yes, think that's it. In the Record Collector email it indicated that there would be many more listings to come.

Reminds me of the "online yard sale" Lloyd Cole had a few years ago.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up Charlie. Saved his seller ID for future listings, because apart from the Talking Heads & Capt Beefheart, I'd not heard of any of the other stuff!

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
My favourite EC album..

31Li6w8YJwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I picked up a mint copy of that a few weeks back for £4, it has a sticker on it: "Free Album with this Single". Needless to say, the single wasn't there. Did a quick search, & found a NM copy of said single (live versions of "Stranger in the House" & "Neat Neat Neat") for £2.00.

I don't think I've added much value to it, but it's nice to have the full set!

And yes, it's an excellent album, although I prefer Punch The Clock

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
He's made many, many great records. Blood & Chocolate and King Of America to name but two, yet for me the unparalleled genius of Imperial Bedroom is the pinnacle of his "pop" phase. That phase slowly declined through Punch, the mediocre Goodbye Cruel World, rallied with Spike and withered on the vine with Mighty Like A Rose. Prior to the latter two he managed to summon up the next career pinnacle of KOA and Blood and Choc. Then he went all conceptual and made lots of good(Painted From Memoory),bad(Il Sogno)and ugly(When I Was Cruel)LPs.

Honorable mentions for River In Reverse and North too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
He's made many, many great records. Blood & Chocolate and King Of America to name but two, yet for me the unparalleled genius of Imperial Bedroom is the pinnacle of his "pop" phase. That phase slowly declined through Punch, the mediocre Goodbye Cruel World, rallied with Spike and withered on the vine with Mighty Like A Rose. Prior to the latter two he managed to summon up the next career pinnacle of KOA and Blood and Choc. Then he went all conceptual and made lots of good(Painted From Memoory),bad(Il Sogno)and ugly(When I Was Cruel)LPs.

I must admit I lost touch/interest in Elvis Costello after the first four albums that I own, and still play and enjoy.

I'm completely unfamiiar with anything of his after that period, other than a few singles that he released.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I must admit I lost touch/interest in Elvis Costello after the first four albums that I own, and still play and enjoy.

I'm completely unfamiiar with anything of his after that period, other than a few singles that he released.

I hate "strongly recommending" just about anything to anyone sentient to make up their own mind, BUT I implore you, okay I gently point you in the direction of Imperial Bedroom or failing that, King Of America. Two wondrous LPs.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I hate "strongly recommending" just about anything to anyone sentient to make up their own mind, BUT I implore you, okay I gently point you in the direction of Imperial Bedroom or failing that, King Of America. Two wondrous LPs.

Duly noted!

Cheers CJ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts