What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 82 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Making an effort to dig out LP's that I've not played in years, so on with one of the Stones' lesser known albums from the 80's..

51Loue%2B%2BkeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Definitely not one of their best but a decent listen none the less.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Making an effort to dig out LP's that I've not played in years, so on with one of the Stones' lesser known albums from the 80's..

51Loue%2B%2BkeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Definitely not one of their best but a decent listen none the less.
just finished reading KR's autobio Life.600 pages- if he'd left out 6 words,it would have been 300 pages.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
One of my fave albums

51X0iXbUwYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Contains 2 of my favourite lines
Last night you said I was cold, untouchable. A lonely piece of action from another town and

I see convoys curb crawling West German Autobahns, Trying to pick up a war.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
It's my one night of beer and vinyl - not always a safe mix, but so far, so good.

I've purposely delved into hitherto less played sections of my collection for this evening's listening. Some of these are unplayed since teenage days, thirty odd years ago.

1) LA Woman - The Doors

Surprised how good this sounds. I gave up on The Doors about age 17, having listened to and loved most of their LPs since inheriting them from my peripatetic brother when I was 14. It's great to be reacquainted with this and Morrison Hotel once more.

2) But Seriously Folks - Joe Walsh

Another LP gleaned from my older brother's collection.

3) Darklands - Jesus And Mary Chain

My fave JAMC album. Bought at the time but neglected for decades since. Oh, those student days. Saw them live too at Uni in 1984, one of those fast, furious and very short gigs.

4) Grotesque (After The Gramme) - The Fall

Pure time-travelling stuff for me. Magic.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Last night's listening included the following

Twas a hot night in Budapest.

After 10 goes to get this word verification right and every one was correct I give up. and have removed the pics.

The Albums were
The Firm Mean Business
Supertramp Crisis What Crisis ( I had one here) and

Jethto Tull Crest Of A Knave.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've been to a record fair today, and to my wife's and my own surprise, I returned with only one LP, a copy of Morrison Hotel by The Doors. I felt guilty having my brother's copy on "loan" for many years, so time to make amends. Side one is brilliant, not so much side two, but a good buy nonetheless.

Lots of great things at the fair but either out of my price range (original Nick Drake LPs for £400, that kind of thing) or nothing by artists I was specifically looking for (Durutti Column, Captain Beefheart, Zappa).

So following Morrison Hotel, it's:

1) The Steve Howe Album

I love this.

2) Sue - Frazier Chorus

A semi-hidden gem from the late 80's. Very English baroque pop.

3) An Alpine Symphony - Richard Strauss (Rudolf Kempe/RPO).

One of my Dad's favourite pieces. He's been playing me this and enthusing about it for decades, and finally I get it.

Apparently, a recording by Von Karajan on Deutsche Gramaphon of this piece was the first ever CD released. I didn't know that until today.

Edit: not the first "released", that was The Visitors by Abba, but it was the first "pressed". (All according to Wiki).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
rob998 said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
2) Sue - Frazier Chorus

A semi-hidden gem from the late 80's. Very English baroque pop.

Ooh. I liked them. "Dream Kitchen" & "Typical" were excellent.

Great album. Shame their follow up album, Ray, was lumbered with a spirit of the charts dance-beat production so prevalent in the early 90s.

Post Ricardo Strauss and pre-sleep, I've blasted out my favourite Zep album, Physical Graffiti (side one), and luxuriated in the incredible, dynamic production and fantastic songs. Also went back a further decade for side 3 of The Beach Boys' Smile.

Vinyl is sounding better than ever tonight - why does that seem to be the case occasionally?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Post Ricardo Strauss and pre-sleep, I've blasted out my favourite Zep album, Physical Graffiti (side one), and luxuriated in the incredible, dynamic production and fantastic songs. Also went back a further decade for side 3 of The Beach Boys' Smile.

Vinyl is sounding better than ever tonight - why does that seem to be the case occasionally?

I have been listening to Physical Graffiti a lot lately whilst driving around in my van at work. Totally agree about the production, has there ever been better recorded rock drumming than on this album? It's quite staggering really.

This backs up my view that a superbly produced album will sound great on anything from the cheapest all-in-one unit up to a set-up costing thousands. A poorly produced album still sounds poorly produced, no matter how much money you spend on the hardware.

I have to disagree totally on Smile though
smiley-smile.gif
. I bought the double CD set last year and to be honest, the singles apart, to me it's a prime example of "The Emperor's Clothes".

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I agree with you DIB about Physical Graffiti sounding great on just about any system. My first experience of it was a taped copy of my brother's vinyl. I played it many, many times on a one speaker tape machine and still thought it was magical.

Regards Smile, I wouldn't stretch to labelling it "emperor's new clothes" but can sort of see how people could think that. I'm a devotee/anorak for all things Brian so I find it difficult to see it as anything other than five or six incredible songs patched together with fascinating interludes of adventurous pop. I've owned many CDs worth of out-takes from these sessions down the years but still marvelled at the 7 hours worth of music and rehearsals released in the official box. I'd even go as far to say they are more interesting and revealing than the "finished" versions on disc 1.

Back to Zep, a friend of mine came across some John Bonham drum tracks, just him playing on the last studio album, In Through The Outdoor. There's little bits of his headphone sound of the rest of the band too. It's a truly great sounding drum recording. Makes you head straight for the complete recordings.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
More miscellaneous finds from the attic stash, soon to be housed in purpose built shelving in a new music room (aka "the old front lounge").

1) MTV Unplugged - Bob Dylan

2) Limited Edition - Can

3) New Day Rising - Husker Du

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Selections from:

1) Vauxhall And I - Morrissey

2) Southpaw Grammar - Morrissey

3) Wincing The Night Away - The Shins

4) Physical Graffiti - Zep*

* DIB, I played it the car this morning and yes you're spot on, it sounds fantastic. Big but believable drum sound, great swathes and layers of guitars, plenty of JPJones at the lower end and Mr Plant atop but integral to the whole thing. If only all rock records sounded half as good.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Well I finally had enough of the silver spinner and DIB and CharlieJ have been on about this so I gave sides 1 & 2 a spin. The drumming is superb. Possibly the first time I’ve played it on the Orbe and really listened. Agree with your comments. Pity the first four LPs weren’t produced like this.

61Y046BTGYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Followed by Achilles Last Stand and side 1 of In Through The Out Door still in it's brown paper cover.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I've just got back from ISE in Amsterdam where, yesterday evening, Mr Editor Dawes and I were driven loopy by the bog-standard, join-the-dots, meat-and-potatoes blues being played in every pub we went in. So by way of a contrast I'm listening to this:

4152_medium.jpg

and things seem better now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts