What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 87 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Enjoying this early Steve Miller Band LP, reminds me of Spirit in many ways..

41pDZj6UeYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Formerly called Sailor I believe, very late 60's West Coast sounds, a real mish mash of sounds, influences etc.

Rather good.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The latest Bruce Springsteen album. It's comically bad. A composite of all his cliches. Overstated and ridiculous.

And I'm a big fan of The Boss(!).

Switched to something more satisfying:

Wincing The Night Away & Oh, Inverted World - The Shins

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
As well as being chock full of great songs and melodies, this particular LP is one of the best sounding albums I own, it sounds so dynamic and alive, just like my Joe Cocker Sheffield Steel album. This would sound good on anything..

51pfmBb7sCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
After a quick trip down to Doug Brady Hi-Fi yesterday for them to have a little tweak with the arm and cartridge settings, I've been giving the deck plenty of spins. Currently listening to one of my favourite singers..

416TGd7Q5CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A very good recording this, excellent production from Lieber & Stoller.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
After a quick trip down to Doug Brady Hi-Fi yesterday for them to have a little tweak with the arm and cartridge settings, I've been giving the deck plenty of spins. Currently listening to one of my favourite singers..

A very good recording this, excellent production from Lieber & Stoller..

It's a long time since I saw Elkie with Robert Palmer in Vinegar Joe.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
DIB said:

At a guess I would say that it is at least 38 years . Sorry , does that make you seem old ?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
DIB said:

At a guess I would say that it is at least 38 years . Sorry , does that make you seem old ?

40 to be exact. Trouble with you youngsters is you missed all the best bands. :rofl:

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
The latest Bruce Springsteen album. It's comically bad. A composite of all his cliches. Overstated and ridiculous.

Are you referring to Wrecking Ball here. Every review I've seen on this gives it 5 stars. I've not yet heard it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Are you referring to Wrecking Ball here. Every review I've seen on this gives it 5 stars. I've not yet heard it.

Hi LA,

Yes, I'm referring to Wrecking Ball. It's truly terrible to my ears, and as previously stated I speak as a big fan of Bruce.

I think the main reason for my aversion is the ill-conceived notion of Bruce's to feature so many tokenistic musical styles (a gobbet of gospel, a rash of rap and the bleat of bagpipes) as he plonks his way through a laboured state of the union address. His voice is great, ripe and weathered at one and the same time but it's the cornball songs that have me lifting the arm on my deck before the whole thing is even done. It's not a massive stretch from his last two, Magic and Working On A Dream, but for me those songs were much better - less overwrought, more reflective and all together lacking the gloppy sentimentality and earnestness of Wrecking Ball.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Had a "serious" (ha!) listen to this recent 2nd hand buy last night...

51JL3BDIAZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is one seriously good album, sounds tremendous, even allowing for the odd pop and crackle here and there. This gives your speakers soundstage a real good workout.

This evening, some wonderful early 70's Welsh prog..

51tnMBYFLrL._SS400_.jpg

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Had a sesion over lunch time, rememberd I had a copy of African Sanctus . . . never played, seemed to remember it caused a bit of a debate when it hit the shops? . . . simply, I shant bother to play again.

So I draged Paul Simons 'Gracelands' out, bassed on African music and rhythms, superb.

. . . finaly for now, the amazing, Pat Matheny 'Watercolours', what can you say.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Last night I spun the truly terrible Wrecking Ball by Bruce Springsteen. I mean I've really, really tried to give this a chance but no, it's just not happening. Any other Bruce fans finding themselves flummoxed by this new LP.

Then I restored my aesthetic imbalance and spun:

Hatfield & The North debut LP

Mr M - Lambchop

Write About Love - Belle & Sebastian

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Selections from:

Viva Hate - Moz

Acoustic Citsouca - MMJ

Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads

Time Fades Away - Neil Young