What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Simple Song - The Shins 7inch single

(been listening to their excellent Port of Morrow album on Spotify too, as Amazon are still to deliver the vinyl goods!)

Kill Uncle - Morrissey

Could only manage a few tracks. It's not great, although he is in my eyes/ears. Nothing against Fairground Attraction's Mark Nevin but his songs just don't cut the mustard. It's a distinctly lacklustre affair after the Vini Reilly fuelled thrill of Viva Hate. At least Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I were just around the corner.

Mozart Piano Concerti (no.20&21) - Murray Perahia/English Chamber Orchestra

Bartok Violin Concerto No.2 - Joseph Silverstein/Boston Symphony Orchestra

Remedy - Basement Jaxx

Found this in a box in my garage. I vaguely remember buying it at the time and not really rating it. Nothing's changed.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
After a fun week messing about with my new SBT, a return to the black stuff tonight...

41nrTPhsBxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

51ITyogY%2BlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Decent original mono copy, a few occasional pops, but still sounds good.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Moved on to a bit of Prokofieff: 'Lieutenant Kije' and Stravinsky: 'Song of the Nightingale'. Played by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, on the Chesky Records label.

Lutenant Kije is blowing my socks off!!!

Not quite so keen on Stravinsky . . . I will have to give it another go?

Also had a listen to Aaron Copland's 'Appalachian Spring Suite', a piece I did not like last time I listened late last year. It now sounds so sweet and together, soothing, a balm to my troubled soul? I have to come to the concussion the system is working at its very best!

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This has been a week and a half, and its not over yet . . . savouring retirement, working on the garden . . . there is something about spring, planting new plants, sowing seeds, sun and warmth, the patio doors open, even mowing the lawn for the first time is a pleasure.

However today is the day we have been working up to for a long time. Started at 5am, I had to ferry Hazel to the hospital for a 7am book in . . . she faces a big spinal pressure relief operation. Got back at 9am, now what do I do?

Waiting . . . ???? looked at the computer, you are a nice bunch but it did not help:? Make a cup of tea, put some music on, but what . . . modern music seemed frivolous for the occasion? Not listened to any classical music since Christmas, a bit of Bach then Vivaldi, lifted the spirits, my 'Reference Recording Label' did the business, original instruments with harpsichord.

System warmed, where now . . . I've been doing a bit of tweaking putting finishing touches here and there . . . :? Open up the 'CJS Towers' organ loft, I have some well loved audiophile recording going back to 1976.

What a revelation, a feast of musicality, I drifted around my 12ftx12ft music study (metaphorically) the ambiance was . . . is, (I'm still listening) amazing, height, width, depth and space, it like being in an old church, I can even smell the ambiance. Its been a long time since I felt this 'tangibility' about my music, probably going back as far back as the mid 80's when I remember the garden was often part of the perceived sound stage.

Mostly recorded in Europe, sleeves are not all in English either so I have no idea. But the sounds I am hearing are simply superb. A 1976 Propius recording conveys an unassuming church atmosphere, with an organ that can only be described as having an 'organic, wooden sound' presenting the sweetest of voices, piccolo highs and chest rattling lows . . . amazing. The recording conveys all the ambient squeaks, knocks and rattles, as the organ breathes its sound, and thats just one record. The others are all whispering their life sounds in a similar way as their majestic voice sings out.

As I say, not been here for a few months, the system is surpassing itself. One wonders, am I appreciating it more because of being under pressure with Hazel in the theatre at this very moment, heightened state of awareness?

800OrganLPs.jpg

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The last two days have included the following:

A Treasury - Nick Drake

The Red Shoes - Kate Bush

Port Of Morrow - The Shins

Very - Pet Shop Boys

Shiny Beast - Captain Beefheart

Tommy - The Who

Face Dances - The Who

Can't Buy A Thrill - Steely Dan

Obey The Time - Durutti Column

Viva Hate - Morrissey

Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan

Electric Cafe - Kraftwerk

Uncle Meat - Frank Zappa

It's great being on holiday.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Okonokos - MMJ

Magic & Loss - Lou Reed

No Nukes - Various

Transverse City - Warren Zevon

Grotesque - The Fall

I Am A Wallet - McCarthy

Oh, Inverted World - The Shins

Sangoma - Dollar Brand

Electric Cafe/Techno Pop - Kraftwerk

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Sangoma - Dollar Brand

Playing it twice in one day, as first time around it really annoyed my wife, but I'm trying to get her to "hear" the magic. Suffice to say she's slammed the adjoining door between the listening room and her "study" zone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts