What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
511FcVxVOuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31HY2QXDJPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Toto IV one of the albums I bought on my recent trip to Those Old Records at Rugeley and a very enjoyable hour and a bit it was. I will return in a few weeks.
My wife went for a walk around town whilst I browsed, she reckons things must be improving as they only had one charity shop.
In the past few years she has walked around Aldridge and Bloxwich whilst I demo’ed gear there.
Aldridge, Bloxwich and Rugeley. She reckons I take her to all the finest places. 8)
Now where should we go next. :doh:

A

Anonymous

I just got this LP reissue this week -- it has large red writing over half the cover - this cover above I think must be an earlier issue on a different label couldn't find my one on the web and my scanner isn't plugedin. I don't think it matters too much as it is fundamentally a great recording.

Half these 1975 tracks are on the 2005 extended CD reissue '77 and the CD comp "Sand in the Vaseline" - but the other 7 or 8 (of 15) are not elsewhere to my knowledge - let alone on Vinyl, which is crisp/lively sounding and has great bass.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
Lost Angeles said:

A nice day out to North Wales, to http://www.cobrecords.com/

A veritable treasure trove.

Once you're finished in the shop, *** across the road to Porthmadog railway station and go in the bar. Fantastic array of real ale's if you're into that sort of thing.

Cheers :cheers:

I went there last August , but I was very disappointed . Maybe my expectations were to high but they had nothing there that interested me at all . However , I do have some rather unusual tastes when it comes to music.

I should have just gone and sampled a few ales instead ,

Nick

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
A couple of hours worth of:

1) Obscurity Knocks EP - Trash Can Sinatras

2) How Could I Know - My Morning Jacket B-side

3) Studio Tan (Side 1) - Frank Zappa

4) Lick My Decals Off, Baby (Side 2) - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

Time for time-shifted Newsnight and then sleep.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Lost Angeles said:

A nice day out to North Wales, to http://www.cobrecords.com/

A veritable treasure trove.

Once you're finished in the shop, *** across the road to Porthmadog railway station and go in the bar. Fantastic array of real ale's if you're into that sort of thing.

Cheers :cheers:.

Nice idea DIB but Porthmadog is a long way from my house to go and look at a few records.
Having a few beers would involve an overnight stop and I’m not sure the wife would appreciate that.
She’d think I was spoiling her.
The last time we were there we caught the train to Blaenau Ffestiniog and what a lovely train journey it was. Trouble is my wife reckoned we had arrived “in the “pits” of Britain”, it was a lovely day but it still looked awful. It made Rugeley look good.
Kicked off tonight with

51KOjlBfzzL._SS400_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Nice idea DIB but Porthmadog is a long way from my house to go and look at a few records.
Having a few beers would involve an overnight stop and I’m not sure the wife would appreciate that.
The last time we were there we caught the train to Blaenau Ffestiniog and what a lovely train journey it was. Trouble is my wife reckoned we had arrived “in the “pits” of Britain”, it was a lovely day but it still looked awful. It made Rugeley look good.
Kicked off tonight with

Totally agree about BF, lovely journey and all that, but not worth getting off the train. Never been to Rugeley so couldn't possibly comment
smiley-smile.gif

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
Lost Angeles said:
Kicked off tonight with

Totally agree about BF, lovely journey and all that, but not worth getting off the train. Never been to Rugeley so couldn't possibly comment
smiley-smile.gif

You want to go there on a rainy Sunday afternoon in March with a two hour wait until the next train with a pregnant wife ,3 year old brat and nothing open ! I'm surprised we got out of there alive and didn't top ourselves . However , the slate mines are interesting ,

Nick

. ( I believe that is now the fashionable thing to do at the end of a post)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Currently listening to AC/DC 'Dirty Deeds gone Dirty Cheap' - previously was listening to a newly purchased vinyl called 'Captain Lockheed and the Starfighter'....first time I have listened to Hawkwind :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
smiley-smile.gif

There are loads of towns in the UK worse than Rugeley, at least they have a decent vinyl shop. The one you mentionesd is a 100 miles away and no one mentioned one nearer.

Anyway tonight I have had a sort out and dug out an album by Tea and one by Trace, must have been the wife's. Anyone remember them (No googling). Will give them a spin and see what I think. :pray:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Anyway tonight I have had a sort out and dug out an album by Tea and one by Trace, must have been the wife's. Anyone remember them (No googling). Will give them a spin and see what I think. :pray:

Oh yes I know Trace. I have a CD-R sent to to me a few years ago by someone from another forum. Progtastic mate!

Dutch band if I remember rightly in a sort of ELP style. I'm going to play that tonight.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB. As I was playing the Trace album I thought it might be your scene, thought it was a bit like Focus. Not sure if it's for me. The Tea album was refreshing :rofl:

I moved on to

51xQ8EmmE6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Looking at last post may have to be some Zep next

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:

Choose a better one than TSRTS then. I'm slightly disappointed with it. Foolishly, I bought an original pressing, whereas I subsequently found out the re-issue is a better album. Hey Ho! Someone on Vinyl Engine recommended How The West Was Won as Zep at their best.

Anyway Stargazing Live has just finished, and I can't be bothered dragging the telescope outside, but still feel all astronomical, so:

Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon.jpg

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
rob998 said:
Lost Angeles said:

Choose a better one than TSRTS then. I'm slightly disappointed with it. Foolishly, I bought an original pressing, whereas I subsequently found out the re-issue is a better album. Hey Ho! Someone on Vinyl Engine recommended How The West Was Won as Zep at their best.

Anyway Stargazing Live has just finished, and I can't be bothered dragging the telescope outside, but still feel all astronomical, so:

Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon.jpg

The moon is the stargazers worst enemy. Good album though.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Standing Ovation - Larry Coryell

Just squeezing in side one of this inbetween watching the brilliant Jonathan Meades On France then a time lapsed Newsnight. Then sleep.

It's a rare night when TV pre-Newsnight wins out over music. I feel bereft when I've only played half an album.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The dominance of the guitar in it's many manifestations continues in my listening habits:

1) Circuses And Bread - The Durutti Column

A vinyl re-issue of their 1985 album. Stunning quality pressing that complements the genius at work that is Vini Reilly.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Neon K said:
I just got this LP reissue this week -- it has large red writing over half the cover - this cover above I think must be an earlier issue on a different label couldn't find my one on the web and my scanner isn't plugedin. I don't think it matters too much as it is fundamentally a great recording.

Half these 1975 tracks are on the 2005 extended CD reissue '77 and the CD comp "Sand in the Vaseline" - but the other 7 or 8 (of 15) are not elsewhere to my knowledge - let alone on Vinyl, which is crisp/lively sounding and has great bass.

5765275291_6a5e3a6348_m.jpg

That's the baby!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Decided to kick off tonight with a Classic

61h2NFx0eLL._SS500_.jpg
and cotinued with

51cwXzYXqaL._SS500_.jpg

Santana III for those who don't know. The pic fits in slightly with the stargazing week.

Good evening LA,

I love the early Purple LPs, but haven't got any on vinyl. I bet In Rock sounds great. My CD never really, er, rocks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts