What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Funny , Lost , but I had you down as a much younger chap ! It appears that you are seven years older than me . Now there's a thing ,

Nick

Nick, you’ll be definitely on my Christmas card list from now on with comments like that.
I hit the big six-O and retirement next year, trouble is I’m still into the albums from my youth and was just reminiscing yesterday.
If you’re seven years younger than me you would have started with something better than a Dansette then. I moved on to a Westminster music centre and then my first real TT a Dual or BSR McDonald, it made that good an impression I can’t remember which, I should have bought a LP12, they were about £86 then if my memories not scrambled.
This afternoon I’ve played so far

51W0jzQtT%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41sDTTnvN1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61tvsEPUTlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

All vinyl with more to follow

Lost ,

I shall look forward to receiving a card from you in 300 and something days . That means I'll get two cards this year , one from you and one from me ! And don't call me Mr. Bean !

My first record player was bought for me by my Mum and was something made by Alba ! I then bought myself a Pioneer PL112 and one of their amps which did me until I got a Rega Planar 3 in 1983 ( one of the last with the S-shaped arms) . This was relegated to my second system last May when I bought an Origin Live Calypso .

Funny you should mention BSR McDonald , as before I got my own record player I used to use my Dad's BSR turntable and Trio amp to listen to my " dreadful music" (his words). My mum has still got them , so I think I'll get them from her one day and see how bad they sound .

£86 was a bloomin' lot of money back in the mid seventies ,

Nick

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
£86 was a bloomin' lot of money back in the mid seventies ,

Nick

About a weeks wages (gross) for me with a couple of days overtime in 74/5.

I shouldn't have posted a DVD on here, Apologies to everyone, problem is what black stuff to follow it with. Decided on
31KBF5BDS6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The old Dek has been gathering dust of late, a veritable glut of CD's from Amazon to work through post Xmas.

However, having a nice sit down and a cuppa listening to this one..

51GwFxcBcdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not my favourite of theirs, but there are still a few gems on here (and I don't mean S.T.H. either!)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Home from work today, feeling sorry for myself, I have 'man flue', had it all over the weekend, altogether 'ah' . . . so, a bit of vinyl therapy might help . . .

Art Garfunkle, Watermark

Sandy Nelson, Very Best of

Chris Rea, Auberge

Emmylou Harris, Evangeline

Carol Kidd, verious

Some of the pile of records that have been played to death over the past 6 months! I listened to them today as music, not as evaluation tools during tweaking sessions, very refreshing.

And finally, Alison Krouss, Robert Plant, 'Raising Sand' . . . never used as a test record, this was a treat on the TT in its final guise, rich, smooth, dark silence . . . simply engaging. Out of interest I put the CD version on after . . . I wish all CD were as good! However, turn the volume down and it goes a bit transitory, not bad, just a little dry? . . . The vinyl retains the rich qualities.

CJSF

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
The old Dek has been gathering dust of late, a veritable glut of CD's from Amazon to work through post Xmas.

Not my favourite of theirs, but there are still a few gems on here (and I don't mean S.T.H. either!)

Black Dog, The Battle of Evermore with Sandy Denny and his 18 string guitar or whatever it was and Going To California with the weird drowning effect sound. Superb

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Set the dial to 11 and smell the glove....

41TWQZHHKQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I went to see them on this tour, I think? Supported by Paladin and Sha Na Na if I remember rightly. Very loud.

My first ever live gig was Uriah Heep at St George's Hall, Bradford in 1980. I think Def Leppard supported.

My vinyl tonight:

1) Neu!

2) Studio Tan - Zappa

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
[

My first ever live gig was Uriah Heep at St George's Hall, Bradford in 1980. I think Def Leppard supported.

Still going apparently, I think they are coming up shortly at The Picturedrome in Holmfirth which is a fabulous place to watch a band. Bearing in mind the probable age of the group members now, appearing in Last of the Summer Wine country is rather apt.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
[

Still going apparently, I think they are coming up shortly at The Picturedrome in Holmfirth which is a fabulous place to watch a band. Bearing in mind the probable age of the group members now, appearing in Last of the Summer Wine country is rather apt.

Yes it's a great venue and a mere 10 miles from my house.

Think I'll give them a miss on this occasion!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
One for CnoEvil and Nick tonight, although Nick might have been too young for these. DIB probably has a copy somewhere as well.

41jvQlf6mbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another classic 70s album.

No I wasn't too young , though I never saw them live . Which is not saying much as I haven't seen most bands live !

I don't have this one but I do have Sssh , Stonehenged and their Recorded Live double . I don't listen to the first two much as they quite crackly but I regularly put the live album on when it is time to have a boogie .

Just put Stonehenged on to keep you company ,

Nick

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:

Now , now , don't FIB , DIB . S.T.H. is your favourite song and you listen to it at least once a week .

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:

Now , now , don't FIB , DIB . S.T.H. is your favourite song and you listen to it at least once a week .

If I ever bothered to tune in to the local FM rock radio station then I'd hear it every flippin' hour
smiley-cry.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
One for CnoEvil and Nick tonight, although Nick might have been too young for these. DIB probably has a copy somewhere as well.

41jvQlf6mbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another classic 70s album.

No I wasn't too young , though I never saw them live . Which is not saying much as I haven't seen most bands live !

I don't have this one but I do have Sssh , Stonehenged and their Recorded Live double . I don't listen to the first two much as they quite crackly but I regularly put the live album on when it is time to have a boogie .

Just put Stonehenged on to keep you company ,

Nick
Nick Cricklewood is IMO their best album, well worth a listen. On Spotify if you want to listen first.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Over the past couple of days, its been a list as long as your arm, digging out some real old favorites. However one in particular has come to the surface:

Gerry Rafferty, 'City to City'

A classic 70's album, especially notable in most minds for 'Bakers Street' . . . one is guilty of playing only side A for said track. Turn it over, 2nd track, 'Whatever's Written in Your Heart', has a rolling piano and backing by Barbara Dixon and Joanna Carling, I keep coming back to this track, it amazing . . . also on the same side, last track, 'Waiting for the Day', some guitar work and a rift that I love!

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Waiting for 'she who must be obeyed' . . . (love her to bits) . . . to come out of the bathroom so I can shower. So I might as well have a record or three!!!

Elton John, Single Man

Fleetwood Mack, compilation called 'Looking Back on'

The pick so far this evening; Michael Hedges 'Aerial Boundaries', absolutely superb acoustic guitar. I had forgotten all about this gem, I used to use it as a dem disc, for its superbly clean attack and drive, amazing power from an acoustic instrument, however its musicality is retained, making it one of those 'hair standing' LP's that will come to the top of the pile often from now on!

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS