What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
410XEJHS0AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41zgbsqf-qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
My favourite album of the last few days is an oddly disarming piece of instrumental electric guitar and beats by Vini Reilly's Durutti Column called Obey The Time.

It touches on many styles (electronica, classical, ambient, avant-garde) without really being any of them.

Like Bill Nelson, Vini is well-known to a few, and utterly anonymous to most. His albums never cease to amaze as they simultaneously mine a particular furrow whilst strive to be something startling and innovative.

I've seen him live in various underwhelming venues over the last three decades. His hair wilder and greyer, his frame settled into near emaciation and his virtuosity intact and readily demonstrable.

Next up:

The Guitar And Other Machines - The Durutti Column.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Waiting for 'she who must be obeyed' . . . (love her to bits) . . . to come out of the bathroom so I can shower. So I might as well have a record or three!!!

Elton John, Single Man

Fleetwood Mack, compilation called 'Looking Back on'

The pick so far this evening; Michael Hedges 'Aerial Boundaries', absolutely superb acoustic guitar. I had forgotten all about this gem, I used to use it as a dem disc, for its superbly clean attack and drive, amazing power from an acoustic instrument, however its musicality is retained, making it one of those 'hair standing' LP's that will come to the top of the pile often from now on!

CJSF

Damn . As if I haven't got enough music to buy ,I have now got to get some of his . Michael Hedges is another highly talented artist I'd never heard of , but just been You Tubing him and , Boy, was he good .

Looks like I'll have to sell another one of the children to buy some more LPs ,

Nick

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Played Side one of Stevie Nicks “Rock A Little” I like Stevie Nicks but one side is enough for me, will play Side two tomorrow.
Having watched Treasure island the other night, it got me thinking about “There was Captain Dan and Billy Bones and me, and the Tomahawk Kid” so I had to play this. Could not find vinyl pic.

TheImpossibleDream_AlexHarveyalbum.jpg

Anthem is one of favourite tracks, love the guitar solo and bagpipes.

Going to finish with some Pat Benatar.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:

Excellent choice LA. Split is my all time favourite LP. The 'Hogs were my first ever concert at the Manchester Free Trade Hall a long long time ago. "Split Pt 2" contains my favourite guitar solo bar none. Wagged off school one morning to go and buy this from the old HMV store on Market Street (£1.99, a fortune at the time!). Still play my original copy to this day, but it's not in the best condition now.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Another session this afternoon, a few standards, then I moved on to thumbing through the 20/30 years of history in my vinyl collection, three that have not seen a stylus for at least 20 years:

Swingle II, 'Pieces of Eight', modern original song, thats modern and original by 1977 standards, well worth a listen, its different.

Prelude 'After the Gold Rush', bought originally for the title track. It sounds like a one off take, warts and all to me, and all the better for it. I will be coming back to this one.

images

The pick of the bunch this after noon has to be: 'Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop' . . . . !!!!!!!! wowwww!!!! Electric and electronic music like I have never heard before. In the same way as Michael Hedges acoustic guitar stopped me in my tracks yesterday, this one produced goose bumps on my goose bumps, amazing . . . :O Electric musicians playing together, 'together!!!' no one showboating or trying to out do the other, it was an electronic symphony, that had me turning the volume UP!!!! The music study walls at number 5 were 'ROCKING', I played both sides on the trot, not music for late at night, but it is truly music, electric 'music'!

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
CJSF said:
Another session this afternoon, a few standards, then I moved on to thumbing through the 20/30 years of history in my vinyl collection, three that have not seen a stylus for at least 20 years:

Swingle II, 'Pieces of Eight', modern original song, thats modern and original by 1977 standards, well worth a listen, its different.

Prelude 'After the Gold Rush', bought originally for the title track. It sounds like a one off take, warts and all to me, and all the better for it. I will be coming back to this one.

images

The pick of the bunch this after noon has to be: 'Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop' . . . . !!!!!!!! wowwww!!!! Electric and electronic music like I have never heard before. In the same way as Michael Hedges acoustic guitar stopped me in my tracks yesterday, this one produced goose bumps on my goose bumps, amazing . . . :O Electric musicians playing together, 'together!!!' no one showboating or trying to out do the other, it was an electronic symphony, that had me turning the volume UP!!!! The music study walls at number 5 were 'ROCKING', I played both sides on the trot, not music for late at night, but it is truly music, electric 'music'!

CJSF

Hi CJ,

Each to their own and all that, but I really can't abide what Prelude did to the Neil Young classic. It's eviscerated the vulnerable heart of it and replaced it with schmaltzy blandness.

Not heard that particular Jeff Beck album, it sounds interesting. Loved his Live At Ronnie Scott's Blu Ray from a couple of years ago though. CJ, have you ever heard much Vini Reilly? He too uses the electric guitar to magnificent effect. Less intense than Jeff Beck but none the less wonderful. Good HiFi let's it really fly too.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi CJ,

Each to their own and all that, but I really can't abide what Prelude did to the Neil Young classic. It's eviscerated the vulnerable heart of it and replaced it with schmaltzy blandness.

Not heard that particular Jeff Beck album, it sounds interesting. Loved his Live At Ronnie Scott's Blu Ray from a couple of years ago though. CJ, have you ever heard much Vini Reilly? He too uses the electric guitar to magnificent effect. Less intense than Jeff Beck but none the less wonderful. Good HiFi let's it really fly too.

[/quote]

As You say Charlie, each to his own . . . Dont remember hearing the original, so I cant comment. A lot of things I still dont remember?

Vini Reilly, dont remember the name . . . sounds like my type of music, I usually go for 'less intense' . . . thats back in the G O D's . . . I am finding my tastes have changed, over the long period of my illness. Nowadays appreciating a little 'intense' when it is presented smoothly . . . a function of my set up, loud is easier as well . . . perhaps thats going deaf or am I becoming a 'bopping grandad' :dance:

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
It's Saturday night so I'm getting slowly sozzled to these things that spin at 45rpm:

1) Teardrops - Womack & Womack

2) Get Off Of My Cloud - The Stones

3) Obscurity Knocks EP - The Trash Can Sinatras

4) Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac

5) She Bangs The Drums - The Stone Roses

6) Happiness Is Easy - Talk Talk

7) The Together Mix - Durutti Column

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I hope the heads OK today Charlie, or is it keep the volume down.
If we have a weekend of snow I will give some of my singles a clean, set up the Rega with the P77 and give them a play. This afternoon I kicked off with the following on what could be a long session

61MFrPG5RqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
If we have a weekend of snow I will give some of my singles a clean, set up the Rega with the P77 and give them a play. This afternoon I kicked off with the following on what could be a long session

Good afternoon LA,

After a slightly fragile start the head is not too bad thanks.

My older brother is a big Rory fan, and what I've heard I like, though I don't own any. Could you recommend a couple of good places to start?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Lost Angeles said:

Good afternoon LA,

My older brother is a big Rory fan, and what I've heard I like, though I don't own any. Could you recommend a couple of good places to start?

Yup.

Try his first solo album..

31D9MN7C37L._SS400_.jpg

or even..

51KfuspGjdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

also, not on vinyl I think, but a cracking double CD set..

51KrrEn8O2L._SS400_.jpg

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Lost Angeles said:

Good afternoon LA,

Although I don't have much Rory Gallagher ,of the LPs of his I do own "Calling Card" is by far and away my favourite , with " Moonchild" my all time favourite song of his .

Nick

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks DIB and SL,

I'll Spotify and then hunt for vinyl thereafter.

My one album today, is another 70's (and beyond) guitar icon, Steve Howe and his second solo LP, simply called The Steve Howe Album.

I was a teenage Yes fan, and bought this on the strength of mini obsessions with Fragile and Close To The Edge. Thirty years on it's the solo album I much prefer. A whole array of styles: country pickings, a light jazzy swing tune, a folky lament with Claire Hammil singing, and best of all, for me, the two closing tracks. A slowly played, beautiful take on a poignant Vivaldi melody, followed by a "guitar concerto" which on paper sounds terrible yet on record is one of the most dynamic flourishes of instrumental music I've heard.

Maybe it's the effects of last night's drinking or pure nostalgia and evocation of those teenage days that's got me so smitten by a prog-meister's solo outing.

Lining up more miscellaneous 45s for tonight's session. Minus alcohol, plus Assam.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Following on from Charlie's question I've just played this one..

31D9MN7C37L._SS400_.jpg

Now currently listening to this one..

41l89wS-S9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You know I reckon these Pink Floyd boys show promise, I reckon they'll go far
smiley-smile.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Glad you're OK. I think all the Rory albums are on Spotify. As DIB says the BigGuns compilation is a good start. My favuorite albums would be Fresh Evidence and Photo Finish. Fuel to the Fire off Photo Finish is my favoutite track of his.

Following on from DIB's Pink Floyd post I'm playing this

51HJVEPJ5UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Rory Gallagher

Nearly forgot but I got this CD box set recently off Amazon..

51HwLPRS44L._SS400_.jpg

Only £10.99 and has 5 albums.. Deuce - Calling Card - Top Priority - Jinx - Fresh Evidence.

Top value.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Charlie Glad you're OK. I think all the Rory albums are on Spotify. As DIB says the BigGuns compilation is a good start. My favuorite albums would be Fresh Evidence and Photo Finish. Fuel to the Fire off Photo Finish is my favoutite track of his.

Following on from DIB's Pink Floyd post I'm playing this

51HJVEPJ5UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cheers LA & DIB,

I will Spotify and perhaps take a leap with that cheap Amazon set.

My brother always used to blast one of the live LPs out, (Irish Tour, I think), so listening to that might unleash a wave of Proustian remembrances. Or simply remind me of how old I am.

Good listening, guys!!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Too tired for 45s, so it's been sides of the following:

1) The Steve Howe Album

2) New Skin For The Old Ceremony - Leonard Cohen

3) Love You - The Beach Boys

4) Obey The Time - The Durutti Column

5) The Guitar & Other Machines* - The Durutti Column

* my wife is studying in the next door room, and popped in to say, is this that panpipes album?

No, but it made me laugh. Poor Vini Reilly. One of his many masterpieces traduced.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
* my wife is studying in the next door room, and popped in to say, is this that panpipes album?

Do she mean Cacharpaya by Incantation.....if that's right, how sad am I for knowing that. :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts