What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 67 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles said:
painbob said:
cover_4222151472011_r.jpg
This is a stunning piece of work

Stunned me as I'm clueless as to who it is.
Sorry about that Clare is right it is Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning. Do try and give this a listen

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51d%2BAJH7JmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The freezing corners and the empty streets
The burning passion and the cold wet feet.

Aren't the young lucky?

EDIT; Must have been something good in that tea, I've just realised I'm listening to Dancing With Strangers and not what the picture says :oops: :cry: :wall:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
painbob said:
Lost Angeles said:
painbob said:

Sorry about that Clare is right it is Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning. Do try and give this a listen

My copy is on the way to me as I type. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the wonderful "Insurgentes", one of the very few new LP's that I've bought over the last couple of years.

By the way, did you get your free download with your copy?

Anyway, I'm currently listening to a summer carboot purchase...

51cjCilCGaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A

Anonymous

DIB said:
painbob said:
Lost Angeles said:
painbob said:

My copy is on the way to me as I type. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the wonderful "Insurgentes", one of the very few new LP's that I've bought over the last couple of years.

By the way, did you get your free download with your copy?

Anyway, I'm currently listening to a summer carboot purchase...

51cjCilCGaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes I got the download card with the vinyl it's at 320kps. Enjoy the album it's very very good.

Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat. Good choice

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Arrived in the post this morning from Burning Shed Records, Steven Wilson's "Grace of Drowning"..

large2499.jpg

Listened to Disc 1 both sides, then put on Disc 2. I thought to myself, this sounds familiar. It was. It was Disc 1 again!!!

Oh well, Disc 1 was a very pleasant experience. Quite a departure from Insurgentes, SW's previous solo album.

I will be onto Burning Shed on Monday and asking for both discs this time
smiley-embarassed.gif

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
Arrived in the post this morning from Burning Shed Records, Steven Wilson's "Grace of Drowning"..

large2499.jpg

Listened to Disc 1 both sides, then put on Disc 2. I thought to myself, this sounds familiar. It was. It was Disc 1 again!!!

Oh well, Disc 1 was a very pleasant experience. Quite a departure from Insurgentes, SW's previous solo album.

smiley-embarassed.gif

DIB ,

That is exactly what happened to me . Two copies of volume one , which tells me that mine was not a one off . It took them just under two weeks to send a copy of volume 2 . They asked me to open the packaging carefully and then put "return to sender" on it when returning the extra copy of Volume 1 . However, I was able to download the album onto my computer to listen to the missing volume while I waited for its arrival .

I emailed them on a Saturday and got a reply on Sunday ,so you might try contacting them before Monday ,

Nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:

large2499.jpg

smiley-embarassed.gif

DIB ,

That is exactly what happened to me . Two copies of volume one , which tells me that mine was not a one off . It took them just under two weeks to send a copy of volume 2 . They asked me to open the packaging carefully and then put "return to sender" on it when returning the extra copy of Volume 1 . However, I was able to download the album onto my computer to listen to the missing volume while I waited for its arrival .

I emailed them on a Saturday and got a reply on Sunday ,so you might try contacting them before Monday ,

Nick

Cheers Nick

I've already sent an email so let's see how quick they are. Sounds like they've got some quality control issues
smiley-smile.gif

You're right of course, I can always listen to the MP3 download before Disc 2 arrives.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Another purchase from the Diverse Vinyl stall at the Manchester Show, played it a couple of times last night. An excellent recording, it came with the MP3 download as well which is a nice touch..

6160fTi8vIL._SS500_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Listening to Disc 3 - Side 1 of the 4 Disc set..

fleetwood_mac_live_at_the_boston_tea_party.jpg

Now I know the thought of a 22 minute version of Rattlesnake Shake would leave a lot of people shaking their head and screaming "No, no no!", but personally I love it.

Give me Peter Green over Eric Clapton any day of the week.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
Listening to Disc 3 - Side 1 of the 4 Disc set..

fleetwood_mac_live_at_the_boston_tea_party.jpg

Now I know the thought of a 22 minute version of Rattlesnake Shake would leave a lot of people shaking their head and screaming "No, no no!", but personally I love it.

Give me Peter Green over Eric Clapton any day of the week.

To be fair to Clapton he was still good up until Layla , after that he was just Claptout . But I agree with you about Peter Green and a 22 minute version of Rattlesnake Shake ,

Nick

A

Anonymous

Ah, the great Phil Collins!

People give him a hard time but listening to "Both Sides" gets me every time - he pours his heart out on some of those tracks! It's an album I have on tape and CD but I need to find it on vinyl!

The "Genesis" album seems to be going cheap everywhere at the moment. I picked a decent copy up in a 50p bargain bin in a record store in Croydon - not a scratch or a crackle on it... and it contains the majestic Home By the Sea (I & II). One of the best things Genesis ever did!

(sorry - this is in reply to the Genesis stuff on p108. For some reason the original post I'm replying to is not showing on my computer!)

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
laughing_stock.jpg

Exquisite vinyl reissue.

"The Laughing Stock reissue sounds amazing, as good as the album's ever sounded, in any format. Which is crucial, because on some level Talk Talk's later albums are all about sound. How startling, isolated moments of sound, or a formless wash of sound, can wring emotions out of listeners as powerfully as any conventional melody. How the ambient sound of the room in which an album was recorded can be used almost as instrument in itself, and how the studio can be used to create a sense of environment in the listener's mind that has nothing to do with recording booths and control decks. How far the sound of a rock song can be pared back and loosened up and still be "rock," or even still be "a song." And especially how sound can become all the more powerful when surrounded by silence, great gulfs of which are all over the later Talk Talk albums, especially Laughing Stock, captured here in a remarkable vinyl mastering job on Ba Da Bing's part."

(www.pitchfork.com)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Perilously close to Pseud's Corner there, Pitchfork :)

Anyhow, I too bought a lot of new vinyl at Manchester Show. I've only had the chance to play one album so far, but what an album:

album-nina-simone-sings-the-blues.jpg

Stunning stuff :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I was playing this to my brother in law this very afternoon. He thought it was terrible. I tried to offer him the CD version too (he hasn't got a turntable), but he declined.

My original vinyl sounds mighty fine. I wasn't aware of the re-issue.

Pitchfork is oft hilarious, but still essential reading in the main, since Stylus' disappearance a few years ago. The Laughing Stock review (oh,so apt), just about captures some of the essence of the record.

Wasn't it Zappa who coined the aphorism, "writing about music is
Iike dancing about architecture"?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Nixon - Lambchop

Oh I love that album, only got it on CD though.

It's one of those albums that was praised to the sky when it was first released and I bought it on the back of the reviews. After the first listen I wondered to myself what all the fuss was about, completely underwhelmed. Gave it another listen, and then another until eventually it really clicked. It's funny that most of my favourite albums start off like that, and you just grow into them.

Anyhow, how does the LP compare with CD? Have you had the opportunity to compare at all?

Hi DIB,

Sorry for the late response.

My vinyl copy of Lambchop's Nixon is a recent purchase, along with Is A Woman, it's the City Slang 20th Anniversary edition.

It's a lovely pressing. I've had the CD of both albums since release and in both cases the vinyl copies are very good. Particularly "Is A Woman", which is a double LP edition.

Back to Nixon and all it's much heralded glories. I became vaguely obsessed by it on release. One of those albums that seems to chime with one's own times.
I'd quite liked their Thriller and How I Quit Smoking albums, but this was a quantum leap in songwrititng and studio mastery. My favourite track varies, but usually ends up being Nashville Parent.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Currently listening to

PercussiveJazz.jpg

There is a version on Spotify but ffs don't listen to it: it sounds like it's been mastered from a stack of 78s played back by a knitting-needle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts