What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
51CZvCq76ML._SS500_.jpg

It's been a while (years in fact) since I played this one.

Great album . I've played it within the last two months , time for another spin .

I've got Floating Music by Robert Schroeder playing at the moment .

Nick

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Simon Lucas said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Where can I get this?

Ba Da Bing are temporarily out of stock. The curse of the glowing review strikes again.

Some places are still claiming stock, though. At the moment Piccadilly Records are showing some, as are Juno, so as long as you don't mind buying online you can enrich your life sooner rather than later.

Thanks Simon

Have just ordered from Piccadilly.

I have an original copy of Spirit Of Eden which I found dirt cheap in a charity shop many years ago, so quite excited to see how this sounds in comparison.

To me, Laughing Stock is the better album of the two, but there's not much in it.

Thanks again....

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
My pleasure. I got my copy of Spirit of Eden in a Charity shop, too - it's thin and bendy but it sounds OK (once I'd paid to put it through the local secondhand vinyl emporium's Monks, anyway). I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the relative quality.

Anyhow, it's Sunday night and the kids are in bed, so

41rpqb5GwpL._SS500_.jpg

at modest volume.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A recent purchase from the Diverse Vinyl stand at the Manchester Show, this is a really top band (funk/soul/r'n'b) with an excellent vocalist at the front...

6160fTi8vIL._SS400_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Disc 2 finally arrived today from Burning Shed Records, so I now have the complete double album...

steven-wilson-grace-for-drowning-2011-front-cover-80304.jpg

Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning

I really like this stuff, X-Factor it most certainly isn't.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Infidels - Bob Dylan

Rarely features in the slew of Bob lists, but it's pretty good in the context of his oft underwhelming 80's output.
Sly & Robbie as rhythm section too. Jokerman is surely in Bob's top 100 songs.

2) Circuital - My Morning Jacket

Saw them in Manchester last night, so the latest LP by my favourite band of the last decade is getting another blast.

3) Smile - The Beach Boys (the vinyl section of the Smile Sessions box).

Spoilt by a surfeit of incredible songs and arrangements.

4) Obey The Time - Durutti Column

It snook out around the time of the silly Madchester thing, but still no sniff of commercial success for Vini.

matthewpiano

51S7e0zZ84L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

New Columbia 180gm pressing purchased last year. Sounds absolutely superb.

Also, the Vinyl Lovers 180gm pressing of Alan Parsons Project 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination'. Really superb pressing and the best I've heard this album sound (I've also got the Deluxe Edition CD version):

41FZ8zyY4OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A nice day off work today, so been playing a couple of oldies from the 70's..

51sUX646jwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
412V0MC32KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think Thin Lizzy were starting to go through the motions with this one,rather weak I feel. However the Bob Seger LP is a cracker, it must be 10 years since I last played it.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Been unwell today, so not at work . . . eventually got to the TT at around noon, spent the afternoon going through some of my 80's LP's, dug out a whole load of audiophile pressings by 'Chesky Records'. I did not realise I has so many quality vinyls, currently listening to this one on the Gimell Label, Circa 1986, Gramophone 'record of the year', not sure about the DMM mastering process? never the less, its a great listen.

500josquinrwIMG_4704.jpg

CJSF

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Found another gem...

61prnekxfzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love that album.

I inherited the CD version from my late father-in-law's jazz collection. Also, he bequeathed me this Verve CD too..

51t6JM9hNvL._SS500_.jpg

I bet this is a good LP too. A great introduction to Oscar Peterson.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Her is a blast from the past, digging through the old LP's again this afternoon, always been a fan of Sandy Nelson, but only ever had this one LP . . . This has not seen the light of day since the early eighties, I put it on out of nostalgia . . . wow!!! drive, dynamics, attack, 'sharp as' !!!! . . . Its typically an early 60's recording left, right and middle, but the cleanliness and leading edges are outstanding. Its a 'best of' record . . . so the sources could be dubious, however with such a clean transcription I suspect its in the main from original master tapes, almost certainly valve equipment, no digital messing about, simply, Sandy giving a personal performance in your music room. Fall over it in a boot sale, worth a £1, it will blow the cobwebs off your system, trust me.

I've heard most of these tracks on CD and downloads, they simply dont compare!!!

'Best of Sandy Nelson', put this link up cos the site wont let me put a picture in:

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt254/CliffStone/SandyNelsonLPIMG_4705.jpg

CJSF

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Her is a blast from the past, digging through the old LP's again this afternoon, always been a fan of Sandy Nelson, but only ever had this one LP . . . This has not seen the light of day since the early eighties, I put it on out of nostalgia . . . wow!!! drive, dynamics, attack, 'sharp as' !!!! . . . Its typically an early 60's recording left, right and middle, but the cleanliness and leading edges are outstanding. Its a 'best of' record . . . so the sources could be dubious, however with such a clean transcription I suspect its in the main from original master tapes, almost certainly valve equipment, no digital messing about, simply, Sandy giving a personal performance in your music room. Fall over it in a boot sale, worth a £1, it will blow the cobwebs off your system, trust me.

I've heard most of these tracks on CD and downloads, they simply dont compare!!!

'Best of Sandy Nelson', put this link up cos the site wont let me put a picture in:

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt254/CliffStone/SandyNelsonLPIMG_4705.jpg

CJSF

Allow me..

613TLEGR6EL._SL500_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Funny you should mention early 60's "Best of" LP's CJSF and their quality. I bought this LP at a carboot earlier in the summer for next to nothing, dates from the early 60's on the Columbia label, and is a quite outstanding recording. Don't laugh...

512GT5lv3pL._SS500_.jpg

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Funny you should mention early 60's "Best of" LP's CJSF and their quality. I bought this LP at a carboot earlier in the summer for next to nothing, dates from the early 60's on the Columbia label, and is a quite outstanding recording. Don't laugh...

512GT5lv3pL._SS500_.jpg
(/quote]

:D :D :D

After your Black Rose quote and now this :shame: ;)

TRENDING THREADS