What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Normal service resumed: my wife is studying tonight, so I'm I'm charge of what's on. 1) Desolation Row - Bob Dylan 2) Under A Red Sky - Bob Dylan I love this album. Unfairly maligned because it followed on from the universally acclaimed and admittedly stunning Oh, Mercy. 3) Katy Lied - Steely Dan 4) Fundamental - Pet Shop Boys 5) Clear Spot - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
Isn't "Desolation Row" on "Highway 61 Revisited"? Picked as the Observer's best track of all time some years ago - stunning, but too long for modern ears!

Listening to "Woodface" myself at the mo.

Yes, of course it's on Highway 61 Revisited. I just meant that I only listened to that last song during that particular listening session.

What a great song and what a great album. Starts with Like A Rolling Stone, my own choice of greatest song ever written/sung/performed and ends with Desolation Row. Many brilliant moments inbetween. Great sleeve, cool photo - what more could one want?

Well, in my case, an original mono copy in decent nick. I've had re-issues of the stereo vinyl for decades and a couple of CDs, plus recently I acquired an original UK stereo version. The latter sounds best. I've heard a few tracks from the recent mono re-issues but still crave the whole thing in it's original mono on vinyl.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51SvPaLvWdL._AA300_.jpg
61OeTytKkYL._SS400_.jpg

Roxy Music Stranded. I suppose if you had to get stranded with someone.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Modern Times - Bob Dylan

2) It Still Moves - My Morning Jacket

3) Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

4) Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan

Three hours in to a marathon listening session. All immediate family at relatives, so I'm left to my own devices. Working early tomorrow, so I'm making the most of some extremely rare "house to myself/turn up the wick" time.

What's next???

Possibly some more MMJ or some selections from The Bealtles blue box set.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Oh God! TYA -have bought 2 of their albums recently but haven't had the guts to play them. That guy can play guitar...

Ah yes, old Alvin Lee. Never knowingly played 10 notes where 100 would suffice.

The real, unknown (relatively) star on that LP is Albert Lee. Now he could play, probably still can.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Oh God! TYA -have bought 2 of their albums recently but haven't had the guts to play them. That guy can play guitar...

Ah yes, old Alvin Lee. Never knowingly played 10 notes where 100 would suffice.

The real, unknown (relatively) star on that LP is Albert Lee. Now he could play, probably still can.

Unlike Arthur Lee , who is sadly no longer with us .

Nick

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

51RWKVpm5JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51kiAlsVxxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

An interesting evening's listening pleasure.

Still love Tom Traubert's Blues off Asylum Years, and after owning Franks Wild Years for at least 2 years, I thought it was about time I listened to it.

Good clean copy, but 17 tracks over 2 sides doesn't lend itself to a really good sound level.

Enjoying it immensely though.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Flu on the wane, hopefully, so the restorative powers of Assam tea and vinyl to the fore:

1) Around The World In A Day - Prince

Haven't played this in years. It's one of these incredible sounding vinyl cuts. Full-bodied soundstage and great dynamic range.

2) Real Live - Bob Dylan

Live album from the 80s,in part at St.James' Park, Newcastle, somewhat incongruously. Amongst the cottage industry of official and bootleg live sets this is fairly interesting. Captures a Tangled Up In Blue with much changed lyrics and a Masters of War which is completely transformed into a Stones-y rocker thanks to Mick Taylor's great playing.

3) Is A Woman - Lambchop

Laughing out loud in such a languorous style. Perfect foil for the grandeur of Nixon.

4) Studio Tan - Frank Zappa

Infectious and stupendous.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Amy Winehouse's debut album frank 180g vinyl... Sounds amazing, what a voice and what production, shame what happened to her.

Picked up a copy of the joshua tree for £2 on ebay so that was cool, own it on cd but this kinda stuff needs to be heard on vinyl!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Mozart Piano concertos k.459 & k.488 played by Alfred Brendel, conducted by Neville Marriner My wife's studying nearby, so will have to resist Killdozer and Uncle Acid until later! 2) Is A Woman - Lamchop Second time today. Not as dexterous and absorbing as Brendel's Mozart maybe, but a beautifully quiet, piano-centred set of whimsical observations by Kurt and co. Next hour: Side Four of the Smile Sessions vinyl and then some extracts from The Last Waltz, possibly.

Edit: went for Tragic Songs of Life by The Louvin Brothers and Jazz From Hell by Frank Zappa.

Americana, of a kind, all the way!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
41je1MNwsML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Send in another patient of Industrial disease, a problem that will soon be eradicated in the UK, as successive governments have managed to close down any industry we had.

That album gets played with alarming regularity, an absolute fave. :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) No More Forever - **** Gaughan

His solo debut I think. Very true recording. And a great link to. . .

2) Good As I Been To You - Bob Dylan

Fantastic trove of old folk and blues numbers, great acoustic playing from Sir Bob of Zim, which leads to. . .

3) The Yellow Princess - John Fahey

The way he shreds the strings yet establishes a beautiful melodic intro to the celebration/lament, to the song Lion, is wonder to behold.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51tvjJeReXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51cwXzYXqaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had a great swim this afternoon, I’ve got my dinner in the oven and a nice bottle of Merlot ready , the wife is off out to her Christmas works dinner so I might give the vinyl a good listening too.
Played these two earlier Bad Company Straight Shooter and the third Santana album.

Rock on.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Lost Angeles said:
41je1MNwsML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Send in another patient of Industrial disease, a problem that will soon be eradicated in the UK, as successive governments have managed to close down any industry we had.

That album gets played with alarming regularity, an absolute fave. :)

Yes, love this album! like to dust it off every now and then :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
An excellent selection gcameron. I listened to some Robben Ford on the way home from work but fancied something a bit heavier this evening.

517g6XlFXYL._SS500_.jpg

A christmas present a long time ago from the chick of the time. :oops:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
An excellent selection gcameron. I listened to some Robben Ford on the way home from work but fancied something a bit heavier this evening.

517g6XlFXYL._SS500_.jpg

Chick? How very 70's LA
smiley-laughing.gif

Reminds me of the old personal ads in Sounds and New Musical Express from the time...

" Hairy Guy Seeks Hairy Chick!"

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Lost Angeles said:

517g6XlFXYL._SS500_.jpg

Chick? How very 70's LA
smiley-laughing.gif

Reminds me of the old personal ads in Sounds and New Musical Express from the time...

" Hairy Guy Seeks Hairy Chick!".

Hairy Chick. East German female shotputters spring to mind, not something to contemplate for very long.

My chick flew the scene just after christmas, she thought I was keeping her cooped up and wanted a free range. :doh: Sticking with the 70s, played this

61MFrPG5RqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edit: Weird man i never had to put the funny letters and numbers in when posting this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts