What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The last few days:

1) Imperial Bedroom - Elvis Costello & The Attractions

The best baroque-pop album bar none (well, bar The Beatles, Jellyfish, Beachwood Sparks et al).

2) Your Arsenal - Morrissey

Salient, authorially controversial, loud. Mostly.

3) Disco 3 - Pet Shop Boys

Analogue beats, twitchy and terse lyrics. It even got them a John Peel session at the time.

4) Highway 61 Revisited - Sir Bob Of Zim

5) Indidels - Jack Frost and his bubble perm

6) Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Captain Beefheart/Magic Band

More mainstream easy listening from another planet.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
51fsj3%2ByE0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nexus by Argent.

Part prog, part power pop.

preceded by..

41FrdJdjhPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Currently listening to the 'Chieftains' . . . as I type, speaker each side of the desk like a pair of giant head phones . . . made a few more adjustments to the turntable yesterday and today. The timbre of acoustic instruments is quite beguiling, the sharpness of the leading edges is amazing, its late but I dont want to go to be yet . . . Sit on the sofa with Hazel in a minute, cup of Horlicks, got Chris Rea and 'Auberge' lined up as the one before bed . . .

CJS

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Despite the inevitable 7am roll call of two toddlers, I stayed up too late last night listening to lots and lots of vinyl.

Tracks and selections from the following:

1) Sign O'The Times - Prince

2) King of America - The Costello Show

3) Tusk - Fleetwood Mac

4) Year Of The Cat - Al Stewart

5) Blood & Chocolate - Elvis Costello & The Attractions

6) Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

7) Mark Hollis (lossless file, not vinyl).

8) Railroad - John Fahey (file not vinyl)

And to complete the evening, back to vinyl for

9) Infidels - Bob Dylan

10) The Whole Love - Wilco

Asleep by 3.30am. Forgot my wife was working today, so it's been full on children frenzy since 7.30.

Wooden railway track building and races between all the engines of Sodor, that kind of thing. Joyous.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
engines of Sodor

I don't think I've heard of that prog rock band.

Yeah, they're a really big thing. Some think they're still stuck in their infantile phase, but the fanbase aren't complaining.

Yeah, they're a really big thing. Some think they're still stuck in their infantile phase, but the fanbase aren't complaining.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I got given this by Chris, our buyer's guide editor, earlier today - had to give it a whirl. And my, how smooooooth is this. Combination of Hartman's velvety voice and Coltrane's sleepy sax is almost hypnotic :)

album-john-coltrane-johnny-hartman.jpg

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Lost Angeles said:

One of my favourite Al Stewart LPs. From start to finish it's such a great collection of songs. Sounds fantastic too. Think I'll go and tell Lord Grenville right now.

I was never into Al Stewart when I was younger and know nothing about his music but have always likes the song "Year Of The Cat". I came across this album the other day and thought I'd give it a try and very enjoyable on the first play. I may need to Spotify some of his other albums if I get the chance.
Tonights vinyl was

61mG52zKLYL._SS500_.jpg
61rY78hNU7L._SS500_.jpg

Marillion with Fish-Brilliant without him-awful. Grendel needs playing very loud. :rockout:

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
If you only buy one Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac LP, it has to be this one....

51r5qaJ4V3L._SS400_.jpg
Great album.

The Green Manalishi with the two pronged crown, usually viewed after 12 pints at the end of the bed, and no it's not your wife/partner. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Lost Angeles said:

One of my favourite Al Stewart LPs. From start to finish it's such a great collection of songs. Sounds fantastic too. Think I'll go and tell Lord Grenville right now.

I was never into Al Stewart when I was younger and know nothing about his music but have always likes the song "Year Of The Cat". I came across this album the other day and thought I'd give it a try and very enjoyable on the first play. I may need to Spotify some of his other albums if I get the chance.
Tonights vinyl was

61mG52zKLYL._SS500_.jpg
61rY78hNU7L._SS500_.jpg

Marillion with Fish-Brilliant without him-awful. Grendel needs playing very loud. :rockout:

I grew up with an older brother who was heavily into, amongst other things, the confessional singer-songwriter's of Al Stewart's ilk. Year Of The Cat is probably his most polished and undoubtedly his best known album. Other good ones worth Spotify-ing are Modern Times, Time Passages and more recently, Sparks Of Ancient Light. Great Allman Brothers album in your list too. I've got several of their albums, but none on vinyl. I imagine they sound great.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info Charlie. The Allman Bros has that lovely 70s vinyl sound.

Tonight's vinyl was
61etOstl3pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41SyG3HPBfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You get your money for nothing and your chicks for free. So DIB chicks were still around in the 80s.:roll: The album sure sounds fabulous.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East is by far and away their best . I've been a fan of theirs for 35 years and me and my air guitar have got this double album note perfect !

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts