What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51mWOSYPT0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
21e3O2-0nVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61VCOk8c8-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41eJd-eWIeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41KnbYAFfTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bryan Adams Reckless cost me 49p Friday and Lindisfarne Dingly Dell was £2.99 both from Charity shops, have cleaned up great and soumd good. Dingly Dell is tight on the spindle as if it has not had much play.
Argos is one of my favourite albums.
I'm still on the standmounts so experimenting.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
51CDzwKswSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Phil Collins - Face Value

This isn't a classic, by any means, but damn it sounds great on the Gyro. A great mix and a great pressing.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
During the last 48 hours my vinyl listening has been:

1) Put The Stereo On - Gappy Ranks
2) Remasters - Led Zeppelin
3) The Red Shoes - Kate Bush
4) This Sde - Nickel Creek
5) Introspectve - Pet Shop Boys
6) King Of Limbs - Radiohead
7) Before The Flood - Bob Dylan & The Band
8) Major Force box set
9) The Yellow Princess/Requia -John Fahey
10) Heady Nuggs box - The Flaming Lips
11) Electric Cafe - Krafwerk
12) Bend Sinister - The Fall
13) Chutes Too Narrow -The Shins

I've got a rare day to myself tomorrow so I'm already drawing up a big list of possible vinyl blasts. Most evenings I can manage a couple of hours at moderate volumes but I'm really looking forward to a full scale, as loud as I like session on Tuesday.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
During the last 48 hours my vinyl listening has been: 1) Put The Stereo On - Gappy Ranks 2) Remasters - Led Zeppelin 3) The Red Shoes - Kate Bush 4) This Sde - Nickel Creek 5) Introspectve - Pet Shop Boys 6) King Of Limbs - Radiohead 7) Before The Flood - Bob Dylan & The Band 8) Major Force box set 9) The Yellow Princess/Requia -John Fahey 10) Heady Nuggs box - The Flaming Lips 11) Electric Cafe - Krafwerk 12) Bend Sinister - The Fall 13) Chutes Too Narrow -The Shins I've got a rare day to myself tomorrow so I'm already drawing up a big list of possible vinyl blasts. Most evenings I can manage a couple of hours at moderate volumes but I'm really looking forward to a full scale, as loud as I like session on Tuesday.

Nice list that CJ

Nickel Creek are often played on Radio Paradise and are a band that interest me a lot. Progressive blue grass
smiley-laughing.gif
. I've often meant to try and investigate further but so far have failed to do so. I must check out Spotify. Is this album a good place to start?

Likewise, I've heard isolated tracks of John Fahey, almost exclusively on compilation albums, and again a very interesting artist. Where would one start with him?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
51CDzwKswSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Phil Collins - Face Value

This isn't a classic, by any means, but damn it sounds great on the Gyro. A great mix and a great pressing.

Don't be ashamed to call it a classic Bretty, I consider it his best it's just a pity he couldn't maintain it. must replace my well worn copy. :bigsmile:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
During the last 48 hours my vinyl listening has been: 1) Put The Stereo On - Gappy Ranks 2) Remasters - Led Zeppelin 3) The Red Shoes - Kate Bush 4) This Sde - Nickel Creek 5) Introspectve - Pet Shop Boys 6) King Of Limbs - Radiohead 7) Before The Flood - Bob Dylan & The Band 8) Major Force box set 9) The Yellow Princess/Requia -John Fahey 10) Heady Nuggs box - The Flaming Lips 11) Electric Cafe - Krafwerk 12) Bend Sinister - The Fall 13) Chutes Too Narrow -The Shins I've got a rare day to myself tomorrow so I'm already drawing up a big list of possible vinyl blasts. Most evenings I can manage a couple of hours at moderate volumes but I'm really looking forward to a full scale, as loud as I like session on Tuesday.

Nice list that CJ

Nickel Creek are often played on Radio Paradise and are a band that interest me a lot. Progressive blue grass
smiley-laughing.gif
. I've often meant to try and investigate further but so far have failed to do so. I must check out Spotify. Is this album a good place to start?

Likewise, I've heard isolated tracks of John Fahey, almost exclusively on compilation albums, and again a very interesting artist. Where would one start with him?

Hi DIB,

The Nickel Creek is down to my wife and her fondness for countrified tunes with female vocals. She's had the three studio albums on CD for years but the
vinyl versions only appeared on Record Store Day this year. They sound great. A good mix of instrumentals and vocals (both male and female led)<
We both like all three albums and I wouldn't say there's that much difference the three. They're all pretty good. Excellent recordings. Particularly the self-titled debut, to my cloth ears at least.

As for John Fahey I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with Requia/The Yellow Princess. Quite demanding listens in parts, but the latter includes one of my all time favourite pieces of music, Lion. A startling and effecting blitz of playing with incredible tones and sadness throughout. One of his most revered albums is the wonderful Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death. A treasure trove of traditional folk, blues, bluegrass and spirituals melded with some of his own truly preternatural compositions. Alongside the Best Of 1959-77 compilation I'd say start with either of these.

There are umpteen other releases, many of which are difficult to obtain, some contain great stuff, (Christmas Guitar Vol.1, Railroad and God, Time and Causality) and then many which seem to reprise variations on the above. I lost track of his releases up to his death, so can't pass comment on the 1990s stuff. I think he died in the last decade.

Like Leo Kottke, it's best when he doesn't sing. A genius of the fretboard nonetheless and one of my most revisited artists down the years.

Hope some f this waffle helps point you to something worthwhile.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
51FW6oa2GML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jeff Buckley - Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk

First play of this since I had the Grado cart. I'm listening to 'Everybody here wants you' right now, and i've got goosebumps up both arms. It's remarkable.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:

Time for a bit of Floyd :)

Wish You Were Here

A cracking album! I didn't realise that you liked Floyd, Jase. In that case, in addition to the other titles I recommended, add Floyd's 'Delicate Sound of thunder'. Brilliant live album. Expect to pay £10-£15 for it on the bay.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Today I just received a big box from the USA containing the new My Morning Jacket album, Circuital. Spread over two discs on deep green vinyl spinning at 45rpm, it's not only a thing of visual wonder but sounds incredible.

They're undoubtedly my favourite rock band of the last decade and so far after a couple of listens the new LP sounds like a worthy addition to their catalogue. Maybe lacking a full on, psych-rocker, but I'm sure I'll get to know and love these new songs.

Unrepresentative of what they do, but highlight so far, is the storming Holdin' On To Black Metal. It's based on a piece of heartbreaking, Thai pop and sounds like Yes' Owner Of A Lonely Heart as played by Lynard Skynard (that spelling doesn't look right but you know who I mean).

More blasts tonight. Can't wait.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Today I just received a big box from the USA containing the new My Morning Jacket album, Circuital. Spread over two discs on deep green vinyl spinning at 45rpm, it's not only a thing of visual wonder but sounds incredible. . More blasts tonight. Can't wait.

Sounds great, matey. Enjoy!!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Jason36 said:

Time for a bit of Floyd :)

Wish You Were Here

A cracking album! I didn't realise that you liked Floyd, Jase. In that case, in addition to the other titles I recommended, add Floyd's 'Delicate Sound of thunder'. Brilliant live album. Expect to pay £10-£15 for it on the bay.

Yep love Pink Floyd Mate....besides this I have "Dark Side of The Moon" and a UK 1st pressing of "The Wall" :)

Thanks for the recommendations matey.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
If it's Floyd you want, get this one on the TT...

41hz2vqfcoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Meddle is my fave PF by a long way.

I played it yesterday . Mine's a bit crackly though , but as it only cost a couple of quid one mustn't grumble . Played Quiet Life by Japan and half of Going For The One by Yes this evening . I haven't listened to that Yes album for decades . Lunch time I played sides 3 and 4 of the Band's Last Waltz . I can't remember where I got it from , I know I didn't buy it . I also listened to part of my only John Fahey cd "The Essential John Fahey" . Which reminded me that I must get some more of his stuff . I also spent half an hour following links to other guitar players who I have never heard of but seem to be highly regarded by those in the know . So it is off the find out more by the likes of Sandy Bull , Robbie Basho , James Blackshaw , Michael Chapman , Jack Rose and Peter Lang to name a few . Sounds like things might start getting expensive again , Nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:

I played it yesterday . Mine's a bit crackly though , but as it only cost a couple of quid one mustn't grumble . Played Quiet Life by Japan and half of Going For The One by Yes this evening . I haven't listened to that Yes album for decades . Lunch time I played sides 3 and 4 of the Band's Last Waltz . I can't remember where I got it from , I know I didn't buy it . I also listened to part of my only John Fahey cd "The Essential John Fahey" . Which reminded me that I must get some more of his stuff . I also spent half an hour following links to other guitar players who I have never heard of but seem to be highly regarded by those in the know . So it is off the find out more by the likes of Sandy Bull , Robbie Basho , James Blackshaw , Michael Chapman , Jack Rose and Peter Lang to name a few . Sounds like things might start getting expensive again , Nick

Bet your's is not as crackly as mine! I may well buy a replacement copy when all the new re-mastered Floyd albums are released shortly, I presume they will be doing new vinyl as well?

As for guitarists, have you tried Davy Graham? Late 50's/early 60's he was the man, inspiration to countless future British greats (Bert Jansch etc.). Have a listen to this on Spotify

41G3-%2BBI%2BoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just re-released on MOV, my kids are buying it me for Father's Day
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:

Cheers DIB,

Meddle and Delicate Sound of Thunder are now on my "To Buy" list when I come across copies :) and thinking of Floyd I have just given this a clean and now having a listen:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
A bonus morning of loud listening:

1) Into Battle - The Art Of Noise
2) Achilles Last Stand -Zep
3) So Beautiful Or So What - Paul Simon
4) Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
5) Bibi Phone - Plone
6) Circuital - My Morning Jacket
7) Giving Up The Ghost - Radiohead

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:

Bet your's is not as crackly as mine! I may well buy a replacement copy when all the new re-mastered Floyd albums are released shortly, I presume they will be doing new vinyl as well?

As for guitarists, have you tried Davy Graham? Late 50's/early 60's he was the man, inspiration to countless future British greats (Bert Jansch etc.). Have a listen to this on Spotify

41G3-%2BBI%2BoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just re-released on MOV, my kids are buying it me for Father's Day
smiley-smile.gif

Just been looking up Davy Graham on Amazon and it would appear that I will have to add his name to the ever growing list of "new" artists to explore . I hope the day never comes when I stop looking for new music to listen to . Even if it already old music . Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts