What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
41B9H1NRTZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

This is my 3LP Limited Edition RSD Exclusive. The original album remastered for its 20th Anniversary on 2 x Red 180gm vinyl + 180gm Dixie Narco ep 12".

I have been resisting the temptation to play this, but finally gave in today and removed the shrink rap.

I iwsh I had given in earlier....It sounds absolutely amazing!!!!!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:

Bit of a spending spree there Matey :)
I know, i'm proper extravagant
smiley-wink.gif

So far i've listened to half of the £1 each records and they've all been perfect. I was surprised to see the Peter Gabriels in the bargain bin, 'cos they usually still fetch £10+ each on e-bay.

You've gotta start going through 'Lock up's bargain bin, Mitch. He has some good gear hidden in there!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
Jason36 said:

Bit of a spending spree there Matey :)
I know, i'm proper extravagant
smiley-wink.gif

So far i've listened to half of the £1 each records and they've all been perfect. I was surprised to see the Peter Gabriels in the bargain bin, 'cos they usually still fetch £10+ each on e-bay.

You've gotta start going through 'Lock up's bargain bin, Mitch. He has some good gear hidden in there!

still on a self imposed spending freeze at the moment :( I go into lock up and find that I'm 50 quid lighter at the end and there's only so much I can hide from the other half ;)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
512hUlm0DCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Alice in Chains - Dirt ('Music on Vinyl' Remaster)

Music on Vinyl are a label that you can really trust to do a great job with remastering and pressing. This is another flawless example. Although all aspects of the sound are top-notch, and a noticeable improvement over it's CD counterpart, the real champion here are the cymbals. They hi-hat and ride sound just perfect.

while the CD mix was a bit of a muddy affair (I think probably intentionally), this vinyl remaster has cleaned everything up, in a good way. All the distortion on the guitars is still present, but this mix reveals more low-level detail and gives the instruments and voices room to breathe.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what the label have done with 'Audioslave', when it arrives this week
smiley-smile.gif

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
bretty said:
This turned up today and it's getting it's first spin now.

51ToBXz7w6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Deftones - Around The Fur. Another brilliant pressing. Rock and metal were made for vinyl. The chasm between cd and vinyl versions in these genres is huge (as long as the pressing's good, of course).

An excellent album. Still I think White Pony is their best.

BTW, I've just bought a ticket to their August gig in Warsaw :)

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
alex turner - submarine

adele-21

sly stone-back on the right track

door- morrison hotel

broken bells-broken bells

bruce springsteen-born to run

thats been over the last 4 nights.

i have pre ordered artic monkeys- suck and see from hmv so that should be sent on 6-6-11 so cant wait for that

i cant stop listening to my cds of eric bibb,keb mo and harry manx just cant afford them on vinyl yet

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
31IP%2BXdaOzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Peter Gabriel - scratch my back

51ToBXz7w6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Deftones - Around the fur

4103-g%2BcUhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Deftones - white pony

31JTQFN3G7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tool - undertow

41M-N%2BMjcBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tool - lateralus

51h7%2ByS2-qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A perfect circle - Mer de noms

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site

Alice in Chains Self Titled Album

Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night

I have listened to this since I bought the 1042 cartridge....I can believe how brilliant this sounds now...excellent sound quality :)

Think I may take a trip to my local second hand shop as well in a bit and see what he has in the bargain bins :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well a very productive trip to my local secand hand vinyl store...who have currently got a sale on to clear some stock......New purchases today.....10 for £6.00 have included:

Def Leppard - Hysteria (wanted this for ages)

Yes - Tormato

Yes - Eye in the Sky

Deacon Blue - Rain Town

51B1F4CXB7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Soup Dragons - Love God

U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

Robert Palmer - Riptide

Robert Plant - Manic Nirvanna

Also Bought

The Cure - Disintegration for £7.00

So all in all 11 LP's for £12.99 :)

Going to give them all a clean and then look forward to a production afternoon and weekend :) :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site

I tell ya, the pound bin is genius! Out of the 8 that I bought, only one had any damage at all (One skip on Don Henley).

You bought some good stuff there, matey. 'Riptide' is good, especially the drums on 'Addicted to love'. 'Under a blood red Sky' and Unforgettable fire are great (the title track on 'Unforgettable' sounds pucker on vinyl). I'd love some Deacon Blue, they were a great band!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:

I tell ya, the pound bin is genius! Out of the 8 that I bought, only one had any damage at all (One skip on Don Henley).

You bought some good stuff there, matey. 'Riptide' is good, especially the drums on 'Addicted to love'. 'Under a blood red Sky' and Unforgettable fire are great (the title track on 'Unforgettable' sounds pucker on vinyl). I'd love some Deacon Blue, they were a great band!

You're not wrong there Bretty.....my local guy has a selection of pretty much anything you can think off.....and at 10 for £6.00 you can justify the odd dudd one.

However I gave all mine a clean this morning when I got them home and have played pretty much most of them at least part way through and there isnt a dudd one amongst them. Sound quality and condition is excellent....just a bit of noise on the run in and out.

You're right Riptide is excellent. I can highly recomment the Robert Plant LP if you like him and the Alan Parsons Project I bought was a bit of a punt but is excellent.

All in all £13.00 very well spent :) :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I like Plant, i'll keep an eye out. don't have any Led Zep on vinyl either, talking of him. That needs resolving
smiley-smile.gif

I'm listening to:

61iYFM2MBIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Police - Synchronicity

This sounds the nuts. I've never heard 'Every breath you take' sound like it. There's so much extra stuff coming off the vinyl that it sounds like a different song.

Also 'Tea in the Sahara', 'King of Pain' and 'Synchronicity II' sound amazing. Sting's bass sounds so full and deep and Copeland's kick drum has loads of power and texture. It sounds like a real kick drum, which is something that no CD that i've ever heard has managed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36 said:
I can highly recomment the Robert Plant LP if you like him and the Alan Parsons Project I bought was a bit of a punt but is excellent.

All in all £13.00 very well spent :) :)

I'm glad you enjoyed The Alan Parsons Project, as it was one that I recommended to Bretty some time back (along with 10cc - Deceptive Bends / Wynton Marsalis - Haydn Trumpet Concerto), as I hadn't seen it mentioned on here.

Cno

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
5765275291_6a5e3a6348_m.jpg

Talking Heads - The 1975 CBS Sessions.

Excellent........if you can find it, it's worth the search (only 500 made), early demo session as a three piece before they hit the big time.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
carole king - trapestry

very good sq i would even say the recording is that good that if you dont like that sort of thing normal you will enjoy it

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Whilst I was getting my DVD collection out of the cupboard this morning, ready for sale, I came across a real gem hidden at the back that I'd completely forgotten I had:

Iron-Maiden-The-First-Ten-Yea-227714.jpg

Iron Maiden - 'The first ten years - 1980 - 1990' box set!

Man, this has brought back some memories! Back in 1990, when I was 14, Iron Maiden released a Gatefold double 12" every week, for ten weeks, to commemorate their ten year anniversary. If you bought all ten records (I did) you could send off for the box to hold them all in.

I'm having a listen to them now, for the very first time (didn't have a TT in 1990!) and they sound great. A real nostalgia trip
smiley-smile.gif

EDIT: Ooh, it looks like it's worth a bit of dollar these days, too. £190 on gumtree.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
51NRpaho-JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Audioslave - Music On Vinyl re-issue.

I'm not going to go on too much about this, but if you're a fan of rock or metal get this. Just get it. If you've already had this on cd since it's release, like me (unbelievably NINE years ago!), then you REALLY need get this MOV reissue. It'll blow you away, just like it blows the CD version away.

It's deep, strong and energetic. I aint ashamed to say i've been air-drumming and air guitaring to this today. Can't help it, you can't sit still while you listen to it
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts