What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Both my new acquisitions arrived this morning with the postie..

61takN9TO4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

£9.99 from Amazon.

Far superior to his last two studio efforts IMO

hooked up to..

X-LPS201.jpg

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Both my new acquisitions arrived this morning with the postie..

61takN9TO4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

£9.99 from Amazon.

Far superior to his last two studio efforts IMO

hooked up to..

X-LPS201.jpg

Haha so you won the X-LPS Phono Stage on Ebay the other day.....I'm partly glad I didnt bid on it now then :) The gentleman I am and all that. How's it sound and what was wrong with the new one you just bought??

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36 said:
[

Haha so you won the X-LPS Phono Stage on Ebay the other day.....I'm partly glad I didnt bid on it now then :) The gentleman I am and all that. How's it sound and what was wrong with the new one you just bought??

Yes. Sorry about that!

Nothing particularly wrong with my cheap JEC TC-760LC phono amp, when I bought the M-CR603 I needed a phonostage and bought it on a whim from Beresfords having owned their DAC's in the past. The JEC has a gain control and to get decent output into the 603 you needed to turn up it up to the max and then turn up the 603 as well. Also, after a short while I realised I wasn't getting the full potential out of my deck, and it didn't sound as good as when I had it hooked up to my Marantz PM8003 amp. I wanted a decent phono amp but didn't want to spend a disproportionate amount on one. A new or even newish 2nd handDynavector or Trichord would have cost me nearly as much as the M-CR603 so plumped for a cheaper, well regarded 2nd hand amp instead, hence the MF X-LPS. Cost me £75.00 and on first hearing seems a real bargain. I'm getting (or seems!) a good deal more detail and punch compared to the JEC. Also, it's in immaculate condition and was extremely well packed by the seller. Looks good too in a quirky sort of way. Can't see me changing this one too soon.

As I've mentioned before I reckon the cartridge will be the next thing once I've worn out the 2M Blue. It's a damn fine cartidge the 2M Blue, I'm not sure what would beat it a similar price range. How's your Goldring 1042 doing? I wonder how the two compare?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Jason36 said:
[

Yes. Sorry about that!

Nothing particularly wrong with my cheap JEC TC-760LC phono amp, when I bought the M-CR603 I needed a phonostage and bought it on a whim from Beresfords having owned their DAC's in the past. The JEC has a gain control and to get decent output into the 603 you needed to turn up it up to the max and then turn up the 603 as well. Also, after a short while I realised I wasn't getting the full potential out of my deck, and it didn't sound as good as when I had it hooked up to my Marantz PM8003 amp. I wanted a decent phono amp but didn't want to spend a disproportionate amount on one. A new or even newish 2nd handDynavector or Trichord would have cost me nearly as much as the M-CR603 so plumped for a cheaper, well regarded 2nd hand amp instead, hence the MF X-LPS. Cost me £75.00 and on first hearing seems a real bargain. I'm getting (or seems!) a good deal more detail and punch compared to the JEC. Also, it's in immaculate condition and was extremely well packed by the seller. Looks good too in a quirky sort of way. Can't see me changing this one too soon.

As I've mentioned before I reckon the cartridge will be the next thing once I've worn out the 2M Blue. It's a damn fine cartidge the 2M Blue, I'm not sure what would beat it a similar price range. How's your Goldring 1042 doing? I wonder how the two compare?

That sounds like a bargain then mate for a well regarded phono stage.....as I said before I'm happy with my Goldring PA-1 amp but do keep wondering what improvements would or could be had by spending some money on a second hand mid range phono amp.

As for the 1042 cartridge...it's brilliant mate and I am well chuffed with it. It sounds so much better than the Elys2 cartridge a lot more revealing. I'm getting a strong solid all round sound and it goes well with the Planar 3 and RB300 arm. Lows are solid and strong but not overpowering and the mids are amazing. Female vocals sound submlime with the 1042.

It was pricey at £200.00 but personally I would say worth every penny. If you get the chance to have a listen to one I would definately say it would be a step up from your 2M Blue.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I saw these a couple of times back in the 70's. Top band Be Bop Deluxe.

I was reading on another forum about main man Bill Nelson and how he'd been totally ripped off by EMI during this, his most profitable (or should have been) period. A very sad tale actually, on a par with Badfinger (if you ever get a chance read up on that particularly band, I don't think it's a coincidence that two of them committed suicide
smiley-frown.gif
)

31DGME26CML._SS500_.jpg

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
I saw these a couple of times back in the 70's. Top band Be Bop Deluxe.

I was reading on another forum about main man Bill Nelson and how he'd been totally ripped off by EMI during this, his most profitable (or should have been) period. A very sad tale actually, on a par with Badfinger (if you ever get a chance read up on that particularly band, I don't think it's a coincidence that two of them committed suicide
smiley-frown.gif
)

31DGME26CML._SS500_.jpg

DIB ,

This is the only Be Bop Deluxe album I have so I'll give it a spin later .

I did not really know much about Badfinger , but I heard a program on the radio ( can't remember which station ) several months ago . It was very moving . I get the impression that it was the actions of their manager that was at root of Pete Ham and Tom Evans committing suicide .

On a lighter note , had a bit of a mid Seventies night last night with Led Zepplin's Physical Graffiti and Yes's Relayer on the turntable . With a spot of Can's Monster Movie to finish off .

Nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Had a wander into town today, another record fair! Only a quid in today, only because there weren't many stalls today.

However, it was worth it. Picked up 7 for £20 so just less than £3 per LP.

Cleaned them up with the Knosti and currently playing the first one out of the bag...

31v5hKuM2UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nils by Nils Lofgren - 1979

A very under-rated artist IMO.

Not a pop or jump to be heard so that's a good omen hopefully for the rest of the albums.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Started with this album from the 80's..

413CHNJR1ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Some great songs.

and now I'm listening to this one..

41XrczM2MRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

FIeetwood Mac - Tusk

I've never heard this before. It's a bit of an oddity on first listen. Quite disjointed, but having read a bit about it that's not surprising. It's normally albums like this that I grow to like a lot. We'll see.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
DIB said:
Started with this album from the 80's..

413CHNJR1ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Some great songs.

FIeetwood Mac - Tusk

I've never heard this before. It's a bit of an oddity on first listen. Quite disjointed, but having read a bit about it that's not surprising. It's normally albums like this that I grow to like a lot. We'll see.

Bretty gave me a copy of Tusk and it's just plain strange! You might be right though, maybe a grower :)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
DIB said:

FIeetwood Mac - Tusk

Bretty gave me a copy of Tusk and it's just plain strange! You might be right though, maybe a grower :)

It's never grown on me in the twenty several years since I bought it.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been through my LP's and I've got about 10 or so of the same album twice, and in the case of one LP, three times! These are LP's that a mate gave me a few years ago but I've decided to clean them up, play them to check they play OK and then sell them on.

This was the first one...

615-jwmskML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS