What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm a real sucker for sampler LP's, this is a real curio from 1969...

VAWowieZowieFsmall.jpg

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
just had the £30 i think it was newspaper special edition of the lastest radiohead album 2lp and cd and a newspaper looks cool will report back once i get a listen in the next few days

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
After a couple of days with no vinyl, got my new £40 phono amp up and running with the M-CR603 and my first impression is that it's a real bargain phono stage. It might be my imagination but it seems to have a bit more "punch" than my previous Pro-Ject Phono Box SEII.

Anyway, cleaned up a couple of old 70's samplers using the time worn method of washing up liquid/warm water/microfibre cloth for the initial clean up, a good rinse off under the tap, left to dry, then finished off with a final clean with Isopropynol/velve cloth.

No adverse effects, LP's looked gleaming, and most importantly played fine...

Jimi-Hendrix-Peppermint-Allsor-261040.jpg

Jimi-Hendrix-Aniseed-Allsorts-308425.jpg

and now listening to the Great Man himself..

Richard-Thompson-Small-Town-Romanc-363011.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was totally underwhelmed by this when I bought it last year, but after several months and plays I love it now.

Just goes to show you shouldn't really judge anything on one listen..

61zNF5kEFCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PS: Good as it is I wont be going to see them when they hit town shortly. £45 a ticket is just taking the micky.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Hey DIB,

How does the Systemdeck sound with the new Marantz and Beresford Phono Stage?

Superb! I'm really happy with the combination I have now. These new Epos M22i are lovely and the M-CR603 drives them with ease. The Marantz really is a great bit of kit, and for £450 I think it's a bargain.

Just need my Systemdek set up on my wall shelf thats coming next week, and I'll be able to stop walking on pins everytime I go near the thing!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Jason36 said:
Hey DIB,

How does the Systemdeck sound with the new Marantz and Beresford Phono Stage?

Superb! I'm really happy with the combination I have now. These new Epos M22i are lovely and the M-CR603 drives them with ease. The Marantz really is a great bit of kit, and for £450 I think it's a bargain.

Just need my Systemdek set up on my wall shelf thats coming next week, and I'll be able to stop walking on pins everytime I go near the thing!

Good to hear matey so is the wall mount the last stage of the system for a while then?

I'm seriosly considering the Marantz at the moment but not sure if I am ready to part with the Caspian gear just yet. I love the sound I get from the pre/power combo and dont really listen to the radio or require any sort of streaming capability at the moment.

Just as an aside the new Goldring cartridge I bought has transformed the sound of my turntable....its so much better than the Elys I had on there and well worth the £200 outlay :) solid bass with good mid range and highs. Unlike the Elys the highs never verge on being too shrill or sibilant.

So other than the new ATC speakers which I have yet to collect my system seems to be very well balanced (even to the extent that at the moment, my existing Castle speakers dont really let the side down either)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Summers here (well nearly!), and its the first carboot of the year for me
smiley-smile.gif
. There's a guy who I think is a bit of a dealer too who always has a good selection at my local park car boot. The LP's are reasonably priced and he always cleans them up before he puts them out for sale. Picked up a few today, well 7 for £21, so £3 per LP is my sort of price.

Listening to this one currently, one by one of my favourite prog bands from the 70/80's Camel...

41YsjrPa0kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In almost perfect condition.

A right result. I`d have snapped that up in an instant. Good luck to you DIB.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Good to hear matey so is the wall mount the last stage of the system for a while then?

I'm seriosly considering the Marantz at the moment but not sure if I am ready to part with the Caspian gear just yet. I love the sound I get from the pre/power combo and dont really listen to the radio or require any sort of streaming capability at the moment.

Just as an aside the new Goldring cartridge I bought has transformed the sound of my turntable....its so much better than the Elys I had on there and well worth the £200 outlay :) solid bass with good mid range and highs. Unlike the Elys the highs never verge on being too shrill or sibilant.

I reckon so
smiley-wink.gif

Thing is, unlike yourself I do listen to a lot of internet radio (especially Radio Paradise - brilliant) and I wanted to have the ability to do so without having the PC on all the time. So rather than buy yet another box I decided to streamline my whole set up and go with the All-in-One system, coupled with my deck and a phono stage. The feedback from everyone who owned the M-CR603 was very positive so I went with that after a demo at Superfi. I can still hook up my PC via optical through the M-CR603 so the rest of the family can still listen to Spotify for example. After I'd sold all my old kit I only had a shortfall of less than £100 so it's not cost me too much overall. Even my wife likes the new speakers, she hated the old Atacama stands that my old EB1's were on.

The only thing I could see changing in the medium term is my cartridge. Not that I'm unhappy with the 2M Blue, far from it, it's just that the amount of stick it's been getting the last 6 months or so, I'll be wearing it out by next year
smiley-smile.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Hi Thaiman

How's that beautiful Systemdek 3D of yours performing?

I remember when you bought it last year and turning green
smiley-cry.gif
, it really did look the dogs doo daas.

The answer is a very simple one....it's great
smiley-wink.gif

(Although keeping 450 LPs is something that I can't call "a wife friendly hobby!)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
61k0SgI7AXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

180g clear vinyl.
I had an enjoyable listen to this this morning. I'd fetched my old Gale 301 speakers out of the loft (£299 in 1986) set them up on my old Heybrook stands and hey they didn't sound bad, a bit lacking in bass compared to the 684s but as revealing as ever. I had to single wire them using the Caspian integrated as a pre and feeding the power amp, but I might give them a try out for a few weeks but then I might not.
I also earlier did a tour of the charity shops and picked up a Ralph McTell Streets of London album for 49p, will give it a good clean before it gets a play.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Played the Ralph McTell tonight after a good clean with my own solution of De-ionised water,Isopropyl alcohol and rinse aid, looks spotless and plays very nicely.

Nice to see the home-made solution is doing the trick. That will save a few bob.

Meanwhile I've dusted down an old one tonight..

51M3HgvFkwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts