What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 311 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
Stanley Turrentine: 'Dearly Beloved.' Soulful Stan on tenor and his wife on Hammond B-3.

After she split with husband Stanley, Shirley Scott worked quite regularly wth saxophonist, Harold Vick, but he became very disillusioned with being labelled a (wait for it) Turrentine Substitute. *mosking*

Very droll, BBB. In my head, I always call him Stanley Turpentine. Great player though!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:
Freddy, I like 'Split' ....if it's important...I like 'Blues Obituary' and 'Thank Christ For The Bomb' too. The T S Mcphee solo albums are good too...and the ones with Jo Ann Kelly.

Hiya Jim I reckon Split is a fabulous album, one of my favourites. I've heard the other two you mention, but a long time ago, and I guess they didn't impress me at the time? I will though check them out again, following your input. Could you recommend a solo album or two?

I need to catch up with Canned Heat, just love 'Fried Hockey Boogie'!

'Two Sides Of T S Mcphee' is half acoustic blues and half electric blues...it's the only one I've got but I'd buy others if I bumped into them. Check Jo Ann kelly on youtube....great player and great bluesy voice. The first two Canned Heat albums are the best in my opinion and 'Living The Blues' is pretty good too. Al Wilson's high-pitched voice, heard on 'Going Up The Country' is a thing of rare beauty.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Before hearing, and getting very annoyed by the football news, I played a few records.

Captain Beefheart - Ice Cream For Crow

Groundhogs - Split (side 1)

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief (side 2)

The Passions - 30,000 Feet Over China (side 1)

David Bowie - Low (side 2)

Hi BBB,

Annoyed by Rogers' dismissal or the result on the pitch or both?

I liked LVG's "amazed" response to our poor showing yesterday.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, what happened to the message I posted on Saturday? Hmm, I dusted off the turntable specially to reply to Charlie's Herbie Hancock question. First time I've played records in an age because my hands finally seem to be cooperating more (although not this morning, annoyingly). First I had a bit of a 90s garage house sesh:

Urban Blues Project – Deliver Me 12"
Urban Blues Project – Love Don't Live 12"
Urban Blues Project – Your Heaven (I Can Feel It) 12"
Urban Blues Project – Testify 12"
Lisa Taylor – Did You Pray Today? 12"
(all those titles sound a bit religious, although only the last of them actually is).

Herbie Hancock – Crossings LP
SEXWITCH – SEXWITCH LP
Tamaryn – Cranekiss LP
Lianne La Havas – Blood LP
Jüppala Kääpiö – Rainbow Mask
Jüppala Kääpiö – Alpen Ocean

Anyone who doesn't know Jüppala Kääpiö (which is basically the entire world minus a few hundred people), they are absolutely delightful. A husband-and-wife (Japanese–Swiss) team who make odd music out of all sorts of odd objects. I find it utterly charming. Some of their stuff is on YouTube, including this rather wonderful concert footage...

Charlie, Crossings is very typical early electric jazz, taking its lead from In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew. Long tracks, plenty of free-form percussion (bells, shells, sticks, etc). It's good so far as it goes, but doesn't have the groove of Head Hunters.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Woss fink of Split?

I've played it twice, but side one only both times, so I can't give an opinion on the whole album, but what I have heard, I like. It's a good, interesting late 60s rock record.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi BBB,

The dismissal. I'm not just annoyed, I'm bloody angry. Without wishing to start trouble, it's the kind of thing I would expect from the likes of Chelsea, but not what I expect from LFC. We are 3 points off 4th, and only 4 points off 2nd, yet we sack the manager.

I have absolutely no doubts that this decision was made weeks ago, and Mr Klopp has already been sounded out, otherwise, the owners are going to look like complete fools, which Is currently my opinion of them anyway.

Any LFC supporter who thinks this is the correct decision, either knows nothing about football, or knows nothing about the club. In all my years as a supporter, I've only once wanted a LFC manager sacked, and that was Roy Hodgson. That man had me teary-eyed, pronouncing to my wife "He's trying to destroy the club I love". She laughed at me, and I must admit to feeling a little embarrassed about it now, but at the time, it meant that much to me. I can never forgive that man.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

f3cea7f475e178db329e786151fc1cbc.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Woss fink of Split?

I've played it twice, but side one only both times, so I can't give an opinion on the whole album, but what I have heard, I like. It's a good, interesting late 60s rock record.

Try to get to side two, the last track is a cracker, imo.

I will. I think I liked the 3rd track on side one the most, but it was all good.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi BBB,

The dismissal. I'm not just annoyed, I'm bloody angry. Without wishing to start trouble, it's the kind of thing I would expect from the likes of Chelsea, but not what I expect from LFC. We are 3 points off 4th, and only 4 points off 2nd, yet we sack the manager.

I have absolutely no doubts that this decision was made weeks ago, and Mr Klopp has already been sounded out, otherwise, the owners are going to look like complete fools, which Is currently my opinion of them anyway.

Any LFC supporter who thinks this is the correct decision, either knows nothing about football, or knows nothing about the club. In all my years as a supporter, I've only once wanted a LFC manager sacked, and that was Roy Hodgson. That man had me teary-eyed, pronouncing to my wife "He's trying to destroy the club I love". She laughed at me, and I must admit to feeling a little embarrassed about it now, but at the time, it meant that much to me. I can never forgive that man.

I have a theory about Liverpool but it's nothing startling; in fact I'm stating the bleeding obvious. I remember when they were alone in preparing the successor to the manager's role within the club ie Shankley, Paisley and Fagan. Surely no coincidence that this was the peroiod which marked their greatest success. It worked for a club with a loyal fan-base who could see the logic in this approach and feel confident that there was a continuity in approach and philosophy. Hence, I feel they need Gerrard, Carra etc back within the fold to provide that sense of direction: people who understand the 'Liverpool way' if you like. No amount of very expensive foreign managers and foreign players will ever change the fortunes of any club and leave it on a stable financial footing. I really do hope that the stupid wage structures and reliance on fading European superstars is on the way out and clubs nurture their own 'home-grown' players: i think it's the only way that football can survive, because as sure as eggs is eggs, it's heading for an almighty crash....ie falling attendances already evident. Clubs like Liverpool could begin this revolution, which isn't really a revolution at all, but a return to sanity and an end to wasting millions and millions of pounds. I'm not a Liverpool supporter by the way!!! Incidentally, the same 'home-grown' approach and continuity also saw the greatest Man Utd teams and periods of success. I rest my case.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB, I didn't know Roy Hodgson was held in such low esteem as a Liverpool manager. I knew there was some acrimony but there always is. Could you expand upon your vehemence, please?

Jim, spot on.

My sister's husband is a very ardent LFC fan and he hated Hodgson with a passion...called him 'Woy.' He thought he was wrong for a club that prided itself on playing flair football...I'd say Rodgers fits that category too...a great manager at Swansea, but maybe not for Liverpool. Perhaps this is why Moyes failed at Man Utd...he was used to playing for mid-table security or survival and that was his genius.

Charlie, look out for Hank Mobley's 'No Room For Squares.' Blue Note. It's a great line-up of talent: one side has Andrew Hill on piano and the other side features Herbie Hancock...very interesting to see the two approaches although Hill is less unresolved than usual and I prefer his side, but Herbie Hancock plays beautifully on Side Two. Great tunes throughout and Hank Mobley is always a smooth, soulful and inventive player. I picked up a copy on Saturday and can't get it off the turntable. Mobley's 'Soul Station' is another recommended listen.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Waxy said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Waxy said:

Feel free to join us in the post-match communal bath, Waxy.

No, it's called football, but I take your point.

I think you've just taken all three points, Charlie!

Excellent news. Off the bottom of the table but still in the relegation zone.

Reading this is like watching soccer players hugging each other when they score a goal.

Feel free to join us in the post-match communal bath, Waxy.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim,

I checked out the Hank Mobley LP, it's brilliant. As you say, one of the pleasures, alongside Mobley's lyrical playing, is the differences between Mssrs Hill and Hancock.

Very enjoyable and damn it, another album to add to the vinyl want list.

Ofher tunes today:

The Epic - Kamasi Washington (album #3)

Before Today - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti.

(To my ears it's a meltdown of lysergic-era Brian Wilson, a Magic Band tribute act and some Stars In Their Eyes' Hall & Oates wannabes. All shot through a cloudy lo-fi, only occasionally hi-fi mix. Who could resist?)

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Glad you liked 'No Room For Squares' I think it's a really first-rate Blue Note record; it's certainly not just a blowing session like a few of them seem to be. Yes, Mobley is invariably lyrical; I think he is often overlooked because maybe he lacks any real sound signature: not tough or feathery or whatever! Always sounds sweet to me though. His original Blue Notes are very expensive, but you can find copies of early reissues for £20/40 or thereabouts. Having said that, the one I picked up was the first copy I've ever seen although I would imagine discogs or ebay have it.

I played some of the Ariel Pink stuff and really liked it by the way...on youtube.

Today:

The Family: 'Scene Through The Eye Of A Lens' single.

Family: 'Music In A Doll's House.'

Andrew Hill: 'Live At Montreux.'

Cecil Taylor: 'Unit Structures.' Hmmm.

Hank Mobley: 'Soul Station.'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts