What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 306 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MrTeroo said:
Yes give it a listen, loud in the dark is best.

I love dance music. Especially trance.

I must be getting old because I can't be bothered keep getting up and down to swap 12" singles over. Albums last much longer :)

Do you like Genesis? There is a track called Sacred Cycles by Pete Lazonby that makes heavy use of a sample from The Fountain of Salmacis. Worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk38o2lixbs

crikey Pete Lazonby - heralded by sasha and digweed - appeared on the first Northern exposure compilation

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
4ab2c15a4c1a01f181bde115374d528a_full.jpg

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
MrTeroo said:
Yes give it a listen, loud in the dark is best.

I love dance music. Especially trance.

I must be getting old because I can't be bothered keep getting up and down to swap 12" singles over. Albums last much longer :)

Do you like Genesis? There is a track called Sacred Cycles by Pete Lazonby that makes heavy use of a sample from The Fountain of Salmacis. Worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk38o2lixbs

Genesis is on the "must try" list. My father passed away earlier this year, and I've inherited his vinyl collection - all absolutely pristine. His favourites were Santana, Pink Floyd and Genesis, so I have a stack of those LPs to listen to.

I had heard Pete Lazonby from back in the day on MTV's Party Zone (with the lovely Simone and her stand-in, a rather obviously worse for wear Davina MacCall - those were the days, eh?) though I didn't connect with it as much then as now. That's an outstanding track.

Given my tastes and that dance music didn't lend itself to many single artist LPs, I don't have very many. There are probably even fewer which stand alone as a cohesive piece of work that works 'in one sitting' with one notable exception that I had on the TT today - BT's "Ima".

I think this may very well be the best trance track ever: oh for crying out loud, I can't paste into this box, but it's on YouTube: The Quest - C Sharp

Had that on the TT tonight too, it's on one of the REACT compilations. It's one of those tracks which (mis)leads (?) me into thinking that just now and again you can hear height in a soundstage.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes that's a nice track, hadn't heard that before.

one of my all time favourites is Markus Shulz vs Chakra - I Am

best loud through a good system. YouTube on an iPad doesn't do it justice. This song can make every hair on my body stand on end.

As for Genesis, where to begin? Did your dad continue following them after Gabriel and Hackett left? I stopped after Steve Hacket went. I would try Foxtrot or Selling England first.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MrTeroo said:

best loud through a good system. YouTube on an iPad doesn't do it justice. This song can make every hair on my body stand on end.

As for Genesis, where to begin? Did your dad continue following them after Gabriel and Hackett left? I stopped after Steve Hacket went. I would try Foxtrot or Selling England first.

Used to love all the dance stuff years ago - wonder how Above & Beyonds remix of Chakras - Home sounds throuhg a Gyrodec

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
MrTeroo said:

Genesis - I know "Invisible Touch" is in the box waiting to be played, though I recall that track and that period. Not sure what others are there, but thanks for the tips. I tend to drop one "experimental" LP in to the playlist every now and again and then I find myself reverting back to my, er, bangin' choons for a while.

I think I have both "I Am" and "Home" on 12" single - will have to check the boxes. Not heard the name "Markus Shulz" before (blushes): top quality stuff. YouTube has moved on to a rather nice thing called "Los Angeles" now.

In a strange paradox of increasing age, we live in a stone built cottage in the Hampshire countryside. Gone are the days of driving my sporty car around Central London. These days we have a hatchback. Anyway, I still have all those 12" singles, and this means I can get away with ludicrous volumes, I don't "do" quiet music :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Miles Davis - Quiet Nights (Side One)

Miles Davis - Porgy & Bess (Side Two)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain (Still my favourite Miles album)

Followed by:-

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB,

I like the sound of Jazz Hip Trio/Jazz In Relief, though I've no idea what it is or who they are.

Current tunes:

The Bert Jansch and Cornershop LPs from above. And loads of Beach Boys rehearsal sessions on another evil format.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts