What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 304 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
A w more played last night

Malcolm McLaren & the Bootzilla Orchestra - Waltz Darling (an amazing record and a real system tester, so good that when I bought my Rega in 1990 the dealer wrote the name down to get his own copy)

Goat - Live Ballroom Ritual

Dexter Gordon - Go

Cannonball - Adderley - Somethin' Else

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Was a shame about the festival as had been looking forward to it and Flaming Lips are one of my favourite live bands. Luckily we have seen them and Primal Sream a number of times before. Got to seepeter Hook and the Light who were very good.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
A grizly, wet bank holiday, doing my VAT return to a soundtrack of:

ELP - Tarkus

Roxy Music - Stranded

Puccini - Tosca

Brand X - Livestock

Planxty - Words & Music

Marc Robine - Musiques Pour Dulcimer

The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge (2012 Remaster)

And at the moment some Abassi All Stars ( not vinyl)

Not so bad being stuck inside :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Got to see Peter Hook and the Light who were very good.

That's not the word my mate and I used when we saw them recently at a festival. Most of it was acceptable, and I'm not a fan of either New Order or Joy Division, so I'm not at all precious about any of the songs, but the sing-a-long 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' was just nauseating.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

That's not the word my mate and I used when we saw them recently at a festival. Most of it was acceptable, and I'm not a fan of either New Order or Joy Division, so I'm not at all precious about any of the songs, but the sing-a-long 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' was just nauseating.

yes, TWTUA was a it naff but the rest was good and brought a smile to my face as I danced in the rain, mind you Hooky's voice makes Berny's sound good!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

yes, TWTUA was a it naff but the rest was good and brought a smile to my face as I danced in the rain, mind you Hooky's voice makes Berny's sound good!

I couldn't hear his voice for the sing-a-long crowd, but I gather it's not exactly a thing of beauty.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Now playing The Stone Roses - Very Best Of

51MSPPDJZ4L.jpg

Along with Spiritualiized - Live At The Royal Albert Hall, this has to be one of the worst vinyl pressings ever, it's like a bowl of Rice Crispies in between every track, and at the start and end of each side, and it's been like that since day one. The Spiritualized album is worse, but atleast it's a recording of one of the best concerts I ever went to.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Magna Carta: 'Lord Of The Ages' Danny Thompson's bass steals the show. Strangely beautiful record.

John/Speedy Keen: 'Previous Convictions'. The voice of Thunderclap Newman!! Worth hearing.

The Beatles: 'Help!' Mono. Lovely because it's not over-familiar.

Steely Dan: 'Can't Buy A Thrill.' Found an original American ABC pressing which makes all other copies sound awful! It's like listening to a different record. Weird.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: 'Axis: bold As Love' Mono. Great in mono or stereo.

Leonard Cohen: 'Songs Of Love And Hate.' My favourite, I think.

The IncredibleString Band: 'U' They don't make 'em like this anymore!

I love Red House Painters by the way. Bye.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I hope that's not a permanent 'bye', Jim.

Just a (slightly drunken) thought. The biggest difference between this thread and the CD listening thread, is the quality and variety of the music.

I don't love everything listed here, but the variety is great.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
No, BBB...I'm rather bonkers at the moment...I'm looking after my mother 5 days a week...it drives you bonkers! Just a temporary goodbye/fare thee well.

Marvin Gaye: 'I Want You' Nice on a decent stereo; murky on a less than decent one.

Azimuth: 'The Touchstone.' ECM record...you know what to expect: well-recorded chamber jazz...and that's nice.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I just re-visited Chris Rea's Road to Hell .... at around 15rpm. I think it significantly improves things, in a sort of ambient trip hop kinda way.....

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Now playing The Stone Roses - Very Best Of

Along with Spiritualiized - Live At The Royal Albert Hall, this has to be one of the worst vinyl pressings ever, it's like a bowl of Rice Crispies in between every track, and at the start and end of each side, and it's been like that since day one. The Spiritualized album is worse, but atleast it's a recording of one of the best concerts I ever went to.

Is that a new pressing? I remember The Stone Roses from my younger days and wanted to pick up one of their albums, I see the new pressings, but was waiting to get along to the hi-fi shop or order from Discogs to get a second-hand original pressing assuming that it will be better, based on the fact that all the last 3 LPs I bought are basically unlistenable rips of CD onto vinyl and which crackle even on the first play. Any ideas which LP I should go for..?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

dtmark said:
Is that a new pressing? Any ideas which LP I should go for..?
It was a first pressing from the late 90s/early 2000s.
I'd go for an early pressing of the first album if I was you, I've had 2 or 3 copies over the years, and all played well.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

dtmark said:
It was a first pressing from the late 90s/early 2000s.
I'd go for an early pressing of the first album if I was you, I've had 2 or 3 copies over the years, and all played well.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Cranked it up loud this evening:

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Solar Fire

Peter Gabriel - So

Beatles - Meet The Beatles (American release mono)

Beethoven - Pastoral (Otto Klemperor Mono)

King Creosote - From Scotland With Love

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
No, BBB...I'm rather bonkers at the moment...I'm looking after my mother 5 days a week...it drives you bonkers! Just a temporary goodbye/fare thee well.

Marvin Gaye: 'I Want You' Nice on a decent stereo; murky on a less than decent one.

Azimuth: 'The Touchstone.' ECM record...you know what to expect: well-recorded chamber jazz...and that's nice.

Hi Jim and BBB et al,

Jim, I'll see your "bonkers" and raise it to super bonkers. Personal disclosure time:

going through a divorce right now, a very ill family member and possible job loss.

I'm never quite sure of people's motives or need to post such things, so in my case it's simply a genuine note to good "digital" friends because all my real world ones have known for awhile.

Good luck Jim. And all going through any kind of "situation".

This isn't a goodbye just a little cry of the heart in a forum that probably doesn't really need it. But there you go. I'm still seeking odd moments of much needed salvation and sanctuary in music.

Tonight, unsurprisingly:

Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? - Of Montreal

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't read that without commenting. That's just too much to deal with all at once; spread out through a lifetime maybe, but not compressed like that. Although you are indeed a digital friend, I send you my old-style analogue empathy...feel that warmth. i understand your reservations re posting personal stuff; when I posted about my mum, it just sort of slipped out but I didn't erase it because, as you say, we are 'good' digital friends.

If I can do anything to help....etc. It makes my 'situation' seem a little tame in comparison. I hope it all works out as best it can; when I go through this sort of thing I invariably turn to music. Try 'Any Major Dude Will Tell You', the Steely Dan song...that refrain is always in my head. There's a million others too, of course.

Best wishes.

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dtmark said:
It was a first pressing from the late 90s/early 2000s. I'd go for an early pressing of the first album if I was you, I've had 2 or 3 copies over the years, and all played well.

Thanks Varga. I'll look out for that when I go to the record shop..

(Hoping you get the reference)

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
going through a divorce right now, a very ill family member and possible job loss.

I haven't spent a great deal of time on here but would echo the comment above - that's a lot to deal with at once. Sending you best wishes.

TRENDING THREADS