What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 308 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...so I'll take this opportunity to say that Iove 'Birthday Blues' , Charlie!!

Dinosaur Jr. 'Bug.'

Dinosaur Jr. : 'You're Living All Over Me.'

Phil Ochs: 'Pleasures Of The Harbour.'

Syd Barrett: 'The Madcap Laughs.'

Oregon: 'Crosssing'

Gary McFarland : 'Sympathetic Vibrations' aka 'Soft Samba'

Simon And Garfunkel:' Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme.'

And, er, Yes: 'Tales From The Topographic Oceans.'

Charlie Jefferson said:
Benny Goodman Today

Birthday Blues - Bert Jansch

Head Hunters - Herbie Hancock

So Tough - St. Etienne

Good Stuff - The B-52s

The Monsanto Years - NY

Paralytic Stalks - of Montreal

Can I just say that I love 'Birthday Blues' to? Along with just about everything else Bert Jansch has done. :)

Oh! and 'Headhunters' as well if it comes to that.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Good to see Birthday Blues getting some praise, Al & Jim. Great sound, great playing, songs to match too.

No work or life-domestic to attend to currently so it's lots of vinyl at the moment, played in between the gaps of thinking about other things. It helps, mostly.

selections from,

Zoot Allures, Orchestral Favourites, Waka/Jawaka - Zappa

Lost In The Stars - The Music Of Kurt Weill : Various

Full Force & The Third Decade - Art Ensemble Of Chicago

Social Studies - Carla Bley

Doc At The Radar Station - Captian Beefheart

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence & The Machine

Change Of Pace - Johnny Griffin

Closeness Duets with . . . Charlie Haden

Tangents In Jazz - Jimmy Giuffre

The Controllersphere - of Montreal

Jim, what's the Gary McFarland LP? I like the allusions in the titles.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie.

Well, the Gary McFarland album is an oddity, but then again I find every Gary McFarland album an oddity! He produced stuff that on the face of it is sort of easy listening, albeit beautifully arranged and tastefully executed easy-listening. So, 'Soft Samba' or 'Sympathetic Vibrations' as it was entitled on re-release, is another oddity...at least to me. It's a samba album, played very gently and softly with Gary whistling, humming and sort of improvising rather lovely vocalese over the top of vibes, guitar etc. in the samba mode a la Getz/Gilberto...gentle and sweet, I guess. Sort of the kind of album you'd hear in a 60's film, playing at a cocktail party!!! Or in a James Bond movie....if ya get mah drift! However, it's beautiful!!!! There's just something that draws you in and it passes very quickly in I think 29 minutes!! SO, it reminds me, although not soundwise, of The Beach Boys, 'Friends' album because it's so very gentle, almost inconsequential, yet it's captivating for all that. There are coversof Beatles songs which shouldn't work but do and it sort of captures a mid-60's smooth cool feel...in a lounge/elevator music kind of fashion! So, he's plugging into he 60's zeitgeist but filtering it through his sensitive, jazzy perspective. So, really there's more to it than meets the eye!!! I love it!!! In terms of the arrangements, McFarland's strength I think, it is sublime...the arrangements of The Beatles songs are so lovely and sweet. Hope that helps!!!! It's worth hearing at least once anyway.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I love Herbie Hancock's Blue Note stuff like 'Maiden Voyage' and 'Empyrean Isles' but I have to confess that 'Head Hunters' leaves me cold; I've got a copy in the loft so I'll bring it down and give it another chance to impress me!

Currently blasting out Sonic Youth's 'Daydream Nation' which is utterly brilliant! Guitar-heaven. I'm in late 80's mode recently for some reason.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
I love Herbie Hancock's Blue Note stuff like 'Maiden Voyage' and 'Empyrean Isles' but I have to confess that 'Head Hunters' leaves me cold; I've got a copy in the loft so I'll bring it down and give it another chance to impress me!

Currently blasting out Sonic Youth's 'Daydream Nation' which is utterly brilliant! Guitar-heaven. I'm in late 80's mode recently for some reason.

Hi Jim

Your mention of Sonic Youth made me think of a band you may have seen myself and Charlie talk about, namely, Hovercraft. Have you heard them?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi. No, not heard them, but I have seen them mentioned in dispatches. i presume they are Sonic Youthy then? I'll youtube them and let you know what I think. Cheers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Hi. No, not heard them, but I have seen them mentioned in dispatches. i presume they are Sonic Youthy then? I'll youtube them and let you know what I think. Cheers.

There's certainly a resemblance to some aspects of the Sonic Youth sound, though I'd argue that there's no other band that sounds like Hovercraft. There's 2 albums, 'Akathisia' is arguably the better of the 2, though 'Experiment Below' isn't far behind at all.

I think you'll like them.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Currently playing:

The Passions - Sanctuary

Ghostpoet - Shedding Skin

Lou Reed - New York

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
91mP2oJ4qaL._SX425_.jpg

An album with an interesting cover, which someone was discussing. Covers I mean.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

First time I've played this for a while, and I'd forgotten both how good it is, and how good it sounds. Haven't enjoyed playing a record this much for some time.

Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good

416MCPPJ7RL.jpg

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
First time I've played this for a while, and I'd forgotten both how good it is, and how good it sounds. Haven't enjoyed playing a record this much for some time.

Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good

gonna play it now - however mine is pink not green !

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I played 'Here Today, Tomorrow Next Week' straight after, but I'm not all that keen on it.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nirvana (UK): 'All Of Us' Psych-lite whimsy

Nirvana(UK): 'The Story Of Simon Simopath.' As above

Elmore James: 'Tough.' Great Blue Horizon record.

Andrew Hill: 'Live At Montreux.' Jagged, angular, unresolved and often rather lovely.

Gato Barbieri: 'Obsession.' Before he discovered melody!!!

Creedence Clearwater Revival:'Pendulum.' Well, I think it's their best lp.

Syd Barrett: 'The Madcap Laughs.' Always thoght this was just ok; now I can't live without it!

Can: 'Tago Mago.'

Can: 'Soon Over Babaluma.'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
What did you think, Jim?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...and I'll look out for their records. I heard Grateful Dead/Quicksilver Messenger Service/ Television/Sonic Youth/Neil Young and loads of other references. I thought they were very interesting and listened to a couple of albums. If I see cds i'll get them if vinyl doesn't turn up...I don't buy online.

Thanks for the recommendation, BBB.

Cheers. Oh ps...How's Charlie? Don't post anything sensitive of course...I hope he's ok...he has rather a lot on his plate.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Glad you like them, Jim.

Might not be that easy to get copies if you won't buy online, but if you do, you should get them for less than a tenner each. CDs would be easier and cheaper to buy, I think.

Hopefully, the addition of yourself to the Hovercraft appreciation society (Charlie & Me) will raise his spirits a little.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB, Jim, and kindly forumites,

Loving the following:

The Third Decade - Art Ensemble Of Chicago

The Sound Of Philadelphia - MFSB

Snare Lustrous Doomings - Of Montreal

Thanks for the concern. I'm fine, in relative terms, lots of plate-spinning though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts