What type of speakers work well with Sony receiver 5400ES

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been seeing a lot of posts saying the Monitor audio speakers work very well with Yamaha receivers. Is this the same for the Sony receivers? in particular the 5400ES

I know the recommended buy has changed to the Monitor audio from the Tannoy's is this more due to price/value over sound? Or are they that much better over the Tannoys and also a good match.

Also what type of sound does the Sony fall in Bright/Neutral/ etc.. and what speakers would be it's match? I am not really interested in style speakers.

Thanks

Boca

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi Boca,

I have the 5400 with the MA RX series with radius rears, and I am very happy with the combination. Definitely worth an audition. In addition, I know that Gerrard has the 3400 with the old MA RS series and he is also very happy with the combination.

D

Deleted member 2457

Mr Everard thinks the B&W MT30 is a good match.

A

Anonymous

The best speakers match for the sony 5400es would be the ELAC it,s even recommanded by sony them self. i have been to a many sony dealer and all of them have the elac speakers to demo there av/receiver product, i have heard them inn action and they work wonderfull togather.

goodluck

D

Deleted member 2457

Are you saying Mr Everard that when Sony make Amplifiers they test them with B&W speakers?

If yes which one's do they use?

Thanks

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply's.

I wouldn't have though of elac? Hey I am open to all demos

Andrew, would you then say that the B&W would be the better match if they are using them to design the amps?

I know I need to demo speakers it's just a lot harder to drag them home than a piece of electronics. So far the team hasn't let me down

5000es and 5400es so I am more inclined to go with the recommended.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:Are you saying Mr Everard that when Sony make Amplifiers they test them with B&W speakers?

If yes which one's do they use?

I'm saying just that, Mr Gelwholikeswomen. 801s last time I was there...

157760cbebli.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheer's Andrew, you did not need to post a photo know, I believed you first time.
emotion-21.gif

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
emotion-2.gif
How did it sound? I wouldn't have thought they would be able to drive them big boys.. guess i was wrong

P.S. ( I almost fell out of my chair when i saw the pic. please warn us first
emotion-2.gif
)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Boca:
emotion-2.gif
How did it sound? I wouldn't have thought they would be able to drive them big boys.. guess i was wrong
P.S. ( I almost fell out of my chair when i saw the pic. please warn us first
emotion-2.gif
)

You should see what they use for surrounds...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Boca:Andrew, would you then say that the B&W would be the better match if they are using them to design the amps?

No, the two comments were kinda coincidental. I suggested the MT-30s in another thread on same subject, but if it's all-out sound quality you're after, and not the style appeal too, I'd go for a B&W 685 Theatre package.

The B&W being used in the development room thing only came up because someone said some posts back that Sony favoured Elac speakers, which came as news to me, excellent though some Elac designs may be.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think Boca has fallen so hard he has click his mouse offline on the way down.

A

Anonymous

Only the design excellent???Do you mean sound quality is not as good as the design Mr Everard?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
marco_1:it,s even recommanded by sony them self

News to me - and if it's true, why are the amps developed using B&Ws?

Andrew: i don,t know exactly what sony use when they develop their amp. and i didn,t mean that ELAC is the only speakers that match's the sony 5400es, put YES i have called sony -Denmark the time i was out shoping for the sony 5400es , and they recommanded the ELAC speakers , and infact when i went out for auditionning the sony 5400es i have visited 3 differnt sony -center all of them have ELAC speakers in their demo room

A

Anonymous

lazarus:Only the design excellent???Do you mean sound quality is not as good as the design Mr Everard?

Lazarus:

ELAC is one of the most well regarded and respected speakers manufacturer worldwide these guys they even make their own drive and they are realy serious about speakers quality, infact in a mid range budget speaker world ,u will have to give double up the price for a B&W speakers to see the ELAC in term of audio quality and design.

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
gel:I think Boca has fallen so hard he has click his mouse offline on the way down.

I actually was drinking milk and shorted out my keyboard when I saw the picture. Then when I got up I slipped on the milk and knocked myself out on the desk.
emotion-9.gif
I just woke up. Great pics by the way!
emotion-2.gif

I guess I have some speakers to have a good listen to. Elac, B&W, Monitor Audio.

Andrew I know the B&W's can have a harsh highs on certain equipment, Does the Sony reduce this? And can you give some tips on how to listen to these speakers on different systems? Theirs no way to get an in home audition. I do note you recommend the 685's but if I wanted floor standing would I then be better off getting a different receiver or do you think it would be able to handle them.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Boca:I do note you recommend the 685's but if I wanted floor standing would I then be better off getting a different receiver or do you think it would be able to handle them.

I think the Sony will still be fine, whether you go for the 685 package or the 684.

A

Anonymous

I have auditioned the Elac FS 127 and FS 123 +sub and centre with a Yamaha rx-v 1065 and Denon 2310 and I was blown away by them.After the Elac's I had the chance to listen to a set up with B&W 684's and 685's centre htm62 with a sub and it was like the Elac's were twice the price of the B&W's,such a difference!

I also heard them with a Sony es2400 and thas was awsome to!

I immediatly ordered a set of Elac's.Hope they arrive soon,it's been 4 weeks now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts