What type of speakers work well with Sony receiver 5400ES

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
lazarus:

.After the Elac's I had the chance to listen to a set up with B&W 684's and 685's centre htm62 with a sub and it was like the Elac's were twice the price of the B&W's,such a difference!

Hi Lazarus I am not sure what you are saying here.

I am not opposed to listening to speakers and hearing how they sound. I just had a listening experiance in the past with the B&W's and they sounded realy harsh on the high's that I didn't like them, I know this is also related to the gear you are using so I just don't want to have that in my system.

I am not opposed to detail and I guess my thoughts were that the elac's are more of a softer high's due to the JET tweeter. but I wonder how well they blend in the midrange when they transition over to the traditional woofer. It might just be nothing to worry about.

either way you at least had an opportunity to listen to it with different receivers so you have a better prospective.

How did you find the Highs' mid and lows with the Sony hooked up? what type of music did you listen to test. can you remember what other equipment they had hooked up.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Boca:

If you think The B&W sound's Harsh to you ear's , then from an X -5400ES owner i can tell you that is the Sony 5400ES is a littel bit Lean , which might lead to a bright/forward sound on some speakers , this's just another reason why i recommanded the Elac ,so here you go again....

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
marco_1:

Boca:

If you think The B&W sound's Harsh to you ear's , then from an X -5400ES owner i can tell you that is the Sony 5400ES is a littel bit Lean , which might lead to a bright/forward sound on some speakers , this's just another reason why i recommanded the Elac ,so here you go again....

Thanks I will have to go and listen to all these speakers again. When I listened to the B&W's it was the highs that turned me off especially when their were so many people saying the best part about them were that they used the same tweeter from the higher line. But to be fair I can't remember the equipement that was hooked up to it.

Andrew has me wondering how the B&W's work with the sony. due to the pics and his experiance...
emotion-11.gif

I am also currious about the Elac's as well.

I haven't heard from Clare..I have been waiting....waiting....
emotion-2.gif
(I am joking Clare) I know your probably busy.

A question I am wondering is Why does the Monitor audio, listed with the best buy...I assume it is the match with the receiver and the other best buy components. am I incorrecet?

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok I went and had a listen to the monitor audio sounded very nice with the yamaha they had hooked up to it 3900. yep no sony comparison. but I can get a good deal on the Z7 or the Z11 amps. I still have to listen to B&W and Elac.

Question? Is it worth the upgrade from the sony 5400ES to the Z7 and is the Z7 better than the Z11 due to the Z11 being out longer than the Z7.
emotion-42.gif

over here the Pioneer 27 is cheaper than the Z7 any help. this is starting to get complicated. (those sales guys are always putting a wrenchs in things) any help?

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heard the Yamaha Z11, so I can't really comment on that one. But it definately should be the best Yamaha amp even though it has been out longer than the Z7.

What I can say is, that Yamaha is an excellent choice with B&W speakers (and I know a lot of people love the Yamaha / Monitor Audio combination also). I tested both Sony DA5400ES and Yamaha DSP-Z7 with my B&W XT speakers. Even though the Sony is an excellent receiver I found it no match for the Yamaha Z7.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts