What turntable should I buy?

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a turntable with a budget of around £200. I could wait a couple of months and extend that budget to around £500 (if there really is nothing of value at £200, obviously I'd expect to get a much higher quality if I did wait and increase my budget).

I have a Denon DM39 and a pair of Dali Zensor 1's in my setup so far, and I mainly use my MacBook to play music through these, but I'm wanting a turntable on the same desk as well.

It doesn't have to be an all in one turntable, but I'm thinking for the price that'd probably be my best option - I've looked at the Marantz TT5005 if anyone has any comments on that?

Any help on what would be good for the price and be a good match in my setup so far would be very appreciated, cheers!

D

Deleted member 108165

I actually looked at that very tt when I was searching for a deck to complement my Marantz system. I quickly dispensed with the idea when one review I read stated that it was probably a bit of a vinyl wrecker and recommended Rega or Project as far superior products. Would suggest that you do the same - entry level tt's from both brands are c£200; don't forget to factor in the cost of a phono stage as well if your Denon or the turntable doesn't have one installed. One thing of note: if you want a fully automatic turntable then you may have no option but the Marantz, or maybe take a look at the Audio Technica range.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'd probably be looking for a second hand Project Debut Carbon or Rega RP3. For £500 you could buy a brand new deck but £300 buys a lot of vinyl *biggrin*

John de Tourette

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I am looking for a compact system with a 3 speed turntable for vinyls, CD player, cassette player and radio. I already have 2 Denon SC G 101 speakers. Budget up to £500. I have only found a Teac LP-1000 which "Which" says is rubbish. The other is Ricatech RMC 400, which appears to be a Dutch make. Does anyone know if this is any good? Are there any other systems out there that are a decent quality?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
"but I'm wanting a turntable on the same desk as well".

I very much doubt you'll get the best out of a t/t in that situation. What makes you want to add a t/t, do you already have a collection of vinyl?

warman42

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I've been living in a shared house away at uni which has a record player, so this has led me to start building a collection. I don't have too much room back at home, but it'd be in the same area as my setup currently.

TRENDING THREADS