What to upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a secondary system in a seperate room to my home cinema (which I want to keep seperated.)

It is very basic and consists of an Arcam Alpha 3 amp., a Cambridge Audio CD36 CD player and Heybrook HB3 speakers (which are the old ones - about 20 yrs.old) and Chord Co. cables are used.

I hate to bore you all with this question, which you probably get tired of hearing, but does anyone have any suggestions for an upgrade and if so, in what order? The equipment I have is working fine, with no faults, but in the far distant past I have owned a Linn Sondek and Exposure amps, but funds don't allow for that type of expenditure now!

I mainly listen to jazz and classical music.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Bob.

A

Anonymous

I would keep the speakers and get rid of the amp and cd player - they are both a mis-match for your system and must sound extremely dull! Your cables are fine too.

What is your budget? What interconnects do you use?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't noticed the system sounding dull, but why do you say the amp and CD player are mis-matched?

I don't have a figure for a budget, but something around the £400 mark for both an amp and CD player, and I would happily settle for second-hand.

If I remember correctly the inter-connects are Chord Cobra 2.

Over to you!

Bob.

A

Anonymous

Arcam sounds too warm for my taste and the Cambridge Audio, is well, just not right in any way (to me at least!) .... this combo to me will not express any emotions of the music. I dare say that it will infact be expressionless.

For way under your budget, you can get much better quality kit (used on E-bay, my favourite place):

1. Roksan Kandy MK1 (amp and cd) - might sound a little bright to some, but very good detail retrieval

2. Nad C521BEE & NAD C320BEE (amp and cd) - this is a very good match

3. Rotel RA02 and Rotel RCD02 (amp and cd) - great amp, but cd may sound a little clinical.

4. Rotel RA02 and Marantz CD6000OSE or KI - very nice sounding combo, nice tonal match.

A

Anonymous

keep the speakers ... they were approx £800-£900 in the 1980's and from what I have read, they are pretty good ....

sell the amp ... not worth much, and you will be lucky to get £40 on ebay....

then with your budget of £400 plus the £40, look at a good secondhand vintage/classic amp (you will be spoilt for choice ...

(on the weekend, a forum poster on this forum bought an old Yamaha CA1000 for £250)

then use your cdp, and save up till you can afford a new (or ex demo) Rega Apollo cd player (for approx £400-£450) ....

but do your research on forums and google to find out which components go well with your speakers (build a system around your existing speakers)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No idea really but was is probable is that whatever you buy will sound more upfront or edgier (revealing?). Whether you like that, only you know. Maybe something like NAD's entry level amp/player would suit. I thought they held their own to a degree next to a much more expensive system and a certain KenKessler liked it too if I remember correctly. There may be enough left over for some Tannoy's Fwhateverthenumber should your Heybrooks not fit in?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts