What storage solutions to DAC?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I got a lot of digital format music which I would like to play through my DacMagic.

I tried the laptop via USB method, but that's not too practical for me as I'd rather have my laptop on my lap for Internet surfing, etc. Plus most of my files are on an external HDD. Plus the DM's USB cable is really short (under 1m I'm sure).

Ideally I'd prefer a separate storage solution with digital coaxial/optical out. Can spend up to £200 maybe. (but less is better). And size wise I'd need at least 120GB to start with.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Yes it has. But AE isn't really a "storage" solution per se. Ideally I want a box I can plug into the DAC and just forget about it (with a remote, a small display, and a large or upgradeable HDD inside if possible).

There seems to be a few problems with AE anyway over wifi, doesn't it (like audio drop-outs, setting up, etc.)?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
momo72:
Yes it has. But AE isn't really a "storage" solution per se. Ideally I want a box I can plug into the DAC and just forget about it (with a remote, a small display, and a large or upgradeable HDD inside if possible).

There seems to be a few problems with AE anyway over wifi, doesn't it (like audio drop-outs, setting up, etc.)?

Ah, I see now I misread your post.

A

Anonymous

Messiah:What about Apple TV?

Hmmm maybe. Slightly over-budget atm but will see.
emotion-1.gif

Must check out them Squeezebox thingies too.

A

Anonymous

PS3 is an inexpensive solution with a lot of legs... Get a BD player, internet. And you can put Ubuntu or Yellowdog on it and go to town if you really want.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Although I enjoy hard-disk based music I hardly know anything about NAS solutions. If you're interested in a plug and play solution, though, I will gladly share the merits and pitfalls of owning a mac mini.

John Duncan

Got to agree with all of these options if you really must have the storage built in - Apple TV, PS3, Mac Mini.

But you seem to suggest that you're happy having your laptop on and using it as the controller, which would suggest Airport Express and an ethernet-enabled hard drive attached to the back of your router (which is what I do)?

A

Anonymous

You should look at one of these!

I have it for almost 5 years now and it has never let me down. I don't play my music files through it, but it supports coax out. And I think it doesn't support lossless files.

It is a basic solution, it is not a HiFi thing, but it will satisfy your basic needs. The other option could be Western Digital HD Media Player

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:PS3 is an inexpensive solution with a lot of legs... Get a BD player, internet. And you can put Ubuntu or Yellowdog on it and go to town if you really want.

Ubuntu? Yellowdog?... Sounds WAYYY too complicated for me.
emotion-5.gif

Plus I want something simple that I can set up and pretty much forget about it if necessary.

The PS3 is out of budget too, plus I don't need another console in the house. The Wii is not getting that much use for a start.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Got to agree with all of these options if you really must have the storage built in - Apple TV, PS3, Mac Mini. But you seem to suggest that you're happy having your laptop on and using it as the controller, which would suggest Airport Express and an ethernet-enabled hard drive attached to the back of your router (which is what I do)?

That's the route I'd prefer to go. Use the laptop as my controller (iTunes would be my music library app). And wirelessly control the "box" where all the tracks are stored.

Your solution JD sounds quite a bit cheaper than the Apple TV box for a lot more storage too. Need to check it out seriously. Cheers

John Duncan

momo72:
JohnDuncan:Got to agree with all of these options if you really must have the storage built in - Apple TV, PS3, Mac Mini. But you seem to suggest that you're happy having your laptop on and using it as the controller, which would suggest Airport Express and an ethernet-enabled hard drive attached to the back of your router (which is what I do)?

That's the route I'd prefer to go. Use the laptop as my controller (iTunes would be my music library app). And wirelessly control the "box" where all the tracks are stored.

Your solution JD sounds quite a bit cheaper than the Apple TV box for a lot more storage too. Need to check it out seriously. Cheers

Well you still have 'dumb' storage - it's not acting as the player, your MacBook and airport express are doing that, but at least it expands space available.

A

Anonymous

I must say the Apple TV looks more and more tempting. How uncanny that it was reviewed in this month's issue...

Few Q's about the box:

1. Is the HDD upgradeable at all/easily?

2. If yes, what type of HDD is it (if it's not a standard SATA drive)?

3. So movie/video wise, the only supported format is H.264, what's a good (free?) application to convert from DivX/MPEG/AVI?

John Duncan

There's a set of instructions here, but I'd wait until your warranty's run out....
emotion-2.gif

As for conversion, I forget - usually Handbrake or Toast or suchlike - google "apple tv convert" or suchlike (if Google's working.....
emotion-2.gif
)

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:There's a set of instructions here, but I'd wait until your warranty's run out....
emotion-2.gif
As for conversion, I forget - usually Handbrake or Toast or suchlike - google "apple tv convert" or suchlike (if Google's working.....
emotion-2.gif
)

Thanks for the link John.
emotion-8.gif

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:PS3 is an inexpensive solution with a lot of legs... Get a BD player, internet. And you can put Ubuntu or Yellowdog on it and go to town if you really want.

You're right but it's criminally noisy in operration. A nice quiet NAS would fit in with the audio ethos much better. Think the Apple TV solution is very good but its hard to upgrade hard drive is a real downer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts