How does a streamer connect to an external hard drive?

GBDevizes

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
I have bought an external hard drive on which I'd like to store some of our favourite music as a back up. By using the Spotify NoteBurner app I've transferred several CDs from Spotify to the HDD in FLAC format. I have created a folder for each artist, then sub folders for individual albums. I can connect the HDD to the rear of my streamer via a USB cable but how does the streamer "pick up" the HDD please? It's a brand new Seagate 8TB unit. I hasten to add that this is all new to me so am hoping for a bit of advise please. Thank you

Gray

I have bought an external hard drive on which I'd like to store some of our favourite music as a back up. By using the Spotify NoteBurner app I've transferred several CDs from Spotify to the HDD in FLAC format. I have created a folder for each artist, then sub folders for individual albums. I can connect the HDD to the rear of my streamer via a USB cable but how does the streamer "pick up" the HDD please? It's a brand new Seagate 8TB unit. I hasten to add that this is all new to me so am hoping for a bit of advise please. Thank you
The streamer will, necessarily, use a control app.
If you say which one, someone should be able to tell you exactly what to do.

GBDevizes

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Thanks Gray

The input choices on the CXN menu seem to be as follows in order...

USB Audio
D1
D2
Roon Ready
Spotify
TIDAL Connect
Chromecast built in

It does not pick up the HDD at all, which connects via the USB input on the rear of the streamer.

WayneKerr

Thank you, the streamer is a Cambridge Audio CXN
You don't mention which version, but a quick look at the V1 manual says the USB ports can be used as follows:

Local Media – Use to connect a USB storage device or another portable device that is USB HD/flashdisk compatible containing music files.

I'm thinking it might play a USB stick but not a hard-drive. Do you have a USB stick to test it with?

I had a Marantz Network player/streamer and it would only play files from a stick via the USB port. I had to connect a PC with attached HDD to the USB B port to play files from the HDD.

I could be talking rubbish so don't take my word as gospel :)

Last edited:

GBDevizes

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi WayneKerr

It's a V2, a mate has the same streamer and has a HDD connected to it, maybe it was a new facility on the V2 that the V1 didn't have?

Gray

Hi WayneKerr

It's a V2, a mate has the same streamer and has a HDD connected to it, maybe it was a new facility on the V2 that the V1 didn't have?
Yes, I've liked the look of the CXN since V1 came out in 2015. I would expect HDD to be OK into rear USB (.would otherwise be a deal-breaker for me).

I'm wondering about HDD formatting.
When it matches the CXNs requirements, then it should be 'seen' by it.

Any doubt, ask how your mate's drive has been formatted.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I've liked the look of the CXN since V1 came out in 2015. I would expect HDD to be OK into rear USB (.would otherwise be a deal-breaker for me).

I'm wondering about HDD formatting.
When it matches the CXNs requirements, then it should be 'seen' by it.

Any doubt, ask how your mate's drive has been formatted.
Thanks Gray

The input choices on the CXN menu seem to be as follows in order...

USB Audio
D1
D2
Roon Ready
Spotify
TIDAL Connect
Chromecast built in

It does not pick up the HDD at all, which connects via the USB input on the rear of the streamer.

Check the manual. Maybe the drive has been formatted in a format that the CXN does not recognise. (FAT32 or NTFS)

Or maybe the size of the drive is unsupported (unlikely)

Silly question:
8TB drive. I am presuming that it's a 3.5 inch drive.
It is powered?

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

GBDevizes

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Thank you both. Yes the Seagate HD is powered unit. I've checked what paperwork came with it and there's nothing about the size of the drive. Checked it out on the Curry's website and nothing on there either.

Last edited:

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
30 seconds on Google shows that it may...or may not work.

Much easier to use a NAS drive to do the same.

GBDevizes

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
One last question for anyone who uses the Spotify NoteBurner app, having so far converted about 30 CDs in my Spotify library to FLAC and sent them to the HDD, how do I clear out/delete the converted files on the NoteBurner app please? There are about 300 tunes on there now and I can't find a way to delete them. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts