Storing a CD collection

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

giocap

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I ended up taking my techie friend with me and went to Richer Sounds in Bath where I bought a Cambridge Audio CXNv2 streamer. I've gone down the Spotify route and for a dual subscription for the wife and I, it's costing £13.99 per month. A friend wants to buy all of the CDs from me so that issue has been solved, The Cambridge Audio streamer comes with a 2 year guarantee, which I've extended to six years for an extra £79.95. If I never have to use the guarantee, then Richers refund the £79.95 after the six years are up, you can't get any fairer than that. The streamer is all set up through my Yamaha amp but just one last question please.

Before I bought the streamer, all I had connected through the amp was my turntable and the Yamaha CD player. There are still five available inputs on the amp, tuner, dock, line 1, line 2 and line 3. Is there a preferred input for the streamer please?

Thank you
Sorry to hear you are selling your cds. I think we have frightened you away.
I am repurchasing all my cds. I sold them when i was a penniless student, and lost some more while travelling for work in my 20s.
I dont like streaming. But you do you.

Think about legally downloading in flac the cds you own.

michael hoy

Sorry to hear you are selling your cds. I think we have frightened you away.
I am repurchasing all my cds. I sold them when i was a penniless student, and lost some more while travelling for work in my 20s.
I dont like streaming. But you do you.

Think about legally downloading in flac the cds you own.
Don't forget if you sell the CD's you do not own the files you have ripped.

This is a good read, if anyone's unsure about copyright infringement.
But isn’t the law different in different jurisdictions? E.g. in the UK, it won’t be the same as the USA. And maybe the EU is different again.

podknocker

But isn’t the law different in different jurisdictions? E.g. in the UK, it won’t be the same as the USA. And maybe the EU is different again.
That's correct. A bit of research is required to make sure you know where you stand legally, in your own country. You can email the RIAA from this site, if you're in any doubt. I've read so much contradicting information online, about piracy and copying CDs in the UK. It can be confusing. It is useful to be aware of copyright, before making copies of your music. Some people really aren't aware of the details and many people get into trouble. I can't be bothered ripping my CDs to FLAC, as it would take the thick end of 6 months. I can stream everything I want to listen to. I will keep the CDs I can't find online and sell the rest.

Last edited:

GBDevizes

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately, the CDs had to go, they filled up seven Ikea Benno units in our front room and the pressure from the missus to do something about them was becoming unbearable. She wants to redecorate and recarpet and as we don't have a garage to shift all our stuff into while we're redecorating, it would have been a tough job working around 1500 CDs. I'm not bothered about getting shot of them, I would think that around 100 were played fairly regularly, the rest were gathering dust.

DCarmi

Under UK law, you can make personal copies but only you are allowed to use the copies. This also means family members cannot play them. You can even store them in the cloud providing no-one else has access to them.

If you don't "own" the original source you cannot keep the copy.

You are not allowed to break encryption to make a copy (unlike in the US).

As far as I am aware no individual has ever been prosecuted for "small" infractions, only where the share stuff on a more industrial scale.

Basically if a law is not going to be enforced or is unenforceable, it is a bad law, in my humble opinion!

podknocker

This is true, as far as I'm aware. If I sell a CD, or give it away, my copies have to be deleted and the next owner of that original CD, can then make copies, but again, can't share them. The right to copy follows the owner of the physical CD.

Last edited:

giocap

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Under UK law, you can make personal copies but only you are allowed to use the copies. This also means family members cannot play them. You can even store them in the cloud providing no-one else has access to them.

If you don't "own" the original source you cannot keep the copy.

You are not allowed to break encryption to make a copy (unlike in the US).

As far as I am aware no individual has ever been prosecuted for "small" infractions, only where the share stuff on a more industrial scale.

Basically if a law is not going to be enforced or is unenforceable, it is a bad law, in my humble opinion!
So true. An unenforceable law is a bad law.
Enforcing this would also be tremendously costly and invasive.
Example i have a cd. I can make a flac and copy it on my computer.
But my sister cannot copy it on her computer.
But i can , press play on my computer and make her hear it.
She can borrow my cd and listen to it, but i must not listen to the flac while she listens to the cd.
All these wierdnesses are direct consequences of the law.... something is wrong here!

Reactions: nopiano

DCarmi

But my sister cannot copy it on her computer.
But i can , press play on my computer and make her hear it.
She can borrow my cd and listen to it, but i must not listen to the flac while she listens to the cd.

I agree with the frustration but the difference is that the CD is a physical medium. If you lend the CD then you cannot play it at the same time. If you "lend" a ripped copy then it would be very odd for you to remove your copy whilst on loan. Then there is no guarantee the person will hand back/delete the rip.

The issue with household usage is a little less clear. If I buy a CD then the "Missus" can play it. If I rip the CD and store it on e.g. a NAS then she cannot (legally). The argument for this would be, if it is on e.g. a NAS or cloud then technically I could let Aunt Flo in Timbutu have access to my catalogue.

As I said, the law is only enforceable if the infringement is on large scale. Otherwise, no-one really cares.

As I said, the law is only enforceable if the infringement is on large scale. Otherwise, no-one really cares.
I’m glad nobody cares because it’s a victimless ‘crime’, as far as I’m concerned - and a legacy from when piracy was a thing that Hi-Fi users might have done, by taping LPs.

Nowadays we are lucky if the fuzz would be interested if our Hi-Fi or CD collection was burgled, so I’m sure they’ve no interest in copying.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

giocap

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
I want musicians to make money. I really do.
Especially old musicians that can't tour anymore, but the entire situation is a mess.
I'm off topic, but i WANT to be respectful of the law. And i hate the dependency streaming creates. Fustration is the correct word.
For now, i just have a bookshelf full of cds, lp's, and a hd where i DOWNLOADED the flac of my physical media.
Am i robbing if i downloaded the flac of a record i have in vynil? I don't know.
I did not pay for the digital version.
Am i robbing if my sis takes a CD, and i listen to the flac?
Am i robbing if i listen to the flac in my office, whilst my wife listens to the cd at home?
Who knows.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
I’m glad nobody cares because it’s a victimless ‘crime’, as far as I’m concerned - and a legacy from when piracy was a thing that Hi-Fi users
might have done, by taping LPs.

Nowadays we are lucky if the fuzz would be interested if our Hi-Fi or CD collection was burgled, so I’m sure they’ve no interest in copying.

A few years ago an acquaintance was being investigated for tax fraud and the CID raided his shop, home and car and took his computers and CDs. Luckily they were working off mis-information and my friend was acquitted of any misdemeanors. However, they were going to prosecute him for Piracy and copyright infringement as he had paid for and downloaded music onto his computers quite legitimately but had recorded them onto CDR's so he could listen to them in his car as he travelled. His car only had a CD player and no bluetooth or Aux in etc so this was the only mechanism he could use to listen to the music he bought. After a while they dropped this case against him.

There have been many times I have copied CD's onto CDR's to listen to in the car as I don't want to damage the originals. Cars are not the ideal place to handle CD's if you care about your music. So if my wife borrowed my car and listened to the copy CDRs then techically I would be breaking the law if I listened to the original CD at home while she drove? A bit nuts innit?

Gray

A bit nuts innit?
Copyright related issues certainly are.

My Philips CD recorder allows 1 perfect digital copy of a CD from another player.
It embeds a serial copy protection mark on the CDR as it does it - so you cannot make any subsequent digital copies from the copy.

But you can make as many perfect single CDR copies from the master as you like 😏

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Copyright related issues certainly are.

My Philips CD recorder allows 1 perfect digital copy of a CD from another player.
It embeds a serial copy protection mark on the CDR as it does it - so you cannot make any subsequent digital copies from the copy.

But you can make as many perfect single CDR copies from the master as you like 😏

Back in the 90's I used to specify my work PC's always had 2x CRW drives..... [rubs chin /] :unsure:

Reactions: Gray

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Most of the music I listen to now, is stuff I have never owned on CD, or couldn't find on CD. There are 80 million tunes and podcasts on Spotify. I'd never have the funds to buy all this stuff and would have nowhere to keep it anyway. Competition and demand will ensure the streaming services will always be there and be affordable. I listen to Spotify for 12 or 13 hours a day and I think it's a bargain at £9.99 a month.

We’re similar and just have a streamer now. But use Qobuz and listen to Jazz.

Likewise it is on most of day and can listen to it on the main system and office system.

We also listen to Jazz24 at home and also in the van. If we like a track or artiste that we haven’t heard before, it is very easy to download from Qobuz and check them out.

Since just streaming we are listening to a greater diversity of artists now and are really enjoying it.

DG…

podknocker

We’re similar and just have a streamer now. But use Qobuz and listen to Jazz.

Likewise it is on most of day and can listen to it on the main system and office system.

We also listen to Jazz24 at home and also in the van. If we like a track or artiste that we haven’t heard before, it is very easy to download from Qobuz and check them out.

Since just streaming we are listening to a greater diversity of artists now and are really enjoying it.

DG…
The range of genres and artists I have enjoyed in the last 2 years, really is incredible, thanks to Spotify. I very rarely play any of my 250 CDs now. There are some discs from 1998 to 2003 I can't find online, but my musical tastes have moved on. I'm quite eclectic in my listening, but I do like chillout and downtempo stuff in particular. I have Chilltrax.com playing all day, while working from my living room and if I really like a tune, then I find it on Spotify. I have a 'Chilltrax' playlist and there's some great tunes. The parent company got hacked recently and their radio stations were offline for a week. I really missed the tunes. The sound quality is also good and I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in FM/DAM tuners now, with limited stations and poor reception. They crammed so many stations into the multiplexes and the sound quality took a dive. I listened to DAB at 320kbps in the early days and it dropped to 128kbps at the end. Online radio and music streaming is the future.

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
The range of genres and artists I have enjoyed in the last 2 years, really is incredible, thanks to Spotify. I very rarely play any of my 250 CDs now. There are some discs from 1998 to 2003 I can't find online, but my musical tastes have moved on. I'm quite eclectic in my listening, but I do like chillout and downtempo stuff in particular. I have Chilltrax.com playing all day, while working from my living room and if I really like a tune, then I find it on Spotify. I have a 'Chilltrax' playlist and there's some great tunes. The parent company got hacked recently and their radio stations were offline for a week. I really missed the tunes. The sound quality is also good and I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in FM/DAM tuners now, with limited stations and poor reception. They crammed so many stations into the multiplexes and the sound quality took a dive. I listened to DAB at 320kbps in the early days and it dropped to 128kbps at the end. Online radio and music streaming is the future.

No going back for us.

Not only sold the Linn LP12 record deck and Naim CD5 XS, but also all the Vinyl and CDs. As well as a Naim FlatCap.

Ended up getting a pre-owned Linn Klimax DS3 / Katalyst streamer by part exchanging the LP12.

The other items funded the purchase of two Naim Hi-Caps and five PowerLine Mains cables.

DG….

Reactions: michael hoy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts