What stands?

When I purchased the PMCs they came with a pair of dedicated stands. They feel pretty chunky although I couldn't find a makers name or mark.

Is it worth trying recognised/branded stands or do you think, given they feel fairly heavy, the difference will be negligible?

Views please.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
as the speakers came with a dedicated pair of stands which were most likely developed by PMC to go with them, I wouldn't bother trying any others, like you say I don't think there would be any difference.

*music2*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
These?

pmc.jpg

Hi plastic penguin

Please see if you can try a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 stands. We've had excellent results with these stands with loudspeakers such as Bronze 2's, Aria 906's, curved SCM19's, Raidho Acoustics X-1's, etc. The Concept 20 stands look the part too
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Difficult question to answer, as it can be a matter of trial and error.

- Are your stands part filled? If so, with what?

- Are they heavy and stable?

- Do they hold the speakers at ear height, when seated?

- Are you using Blu-Tak between speaker and stand?

- Are they spiked and what sort of floor do you have eg suspended/carpet/laminate/wooden etc

If you are using best practice, I think you would be better spending the money elsewhere.

CnoEvil said:
Difficult question to answer, as it can be a matter of trial and error.

- Are your stands part filled? If so, with what?

- Are they heavy and stable?

- Do they hold the speakers at ear height, when seated?

- Are you using Blu-Tak between speaker and stand?

- Are they spiked and what sort of floor do you have eg suspended/carpet/laminate/wooden etc

If you are using best practice, I think you would be better spending the money elsewhere.

They are part filled with some indescribable matter, as yet uinidentified.

Certainly stable and pretty heavy.

The bass/midrange unit is at shoulder level.

Blutak and spiked on carpet. When the spikes go into the carpet it looks like it's sitting on the base.

As my experience with standmounts is somewhat limited, had the floorstanders before and an old pair of Wharfedales prior to that on (kneecap height) stands that had castor wheels on.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Blutak and spiked on carpet. When the spikes go into the carpet it looks like it's sitting on the base.

As my experience with standmounts is somewhat limited, had the floorstanders before and an old pair of Wharfedales prior to that on (kneecap height) stands that had castor wheels on.

Is the carpet on concrete, or a suspended wooden floor?

You can experiment with filling eg. Dried Sand/Rice/Atabites etc....keep the existing filling, in case its better....but only if you can be bothered.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Imo if you already have decent stands i would not bother with new ones but if you want my opinion of good stands it would be: partington superdreadnoughts/broadsides and soundstyle z1

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Is the carpet on concrete, or a suspended wooden floor?

You can experiment with filling eg. Dried Sand/Rice/Atabites etc....keep the existing filling, in case its better....but only if you can be bothered.

Ahhh. This is where it gets a little non-conventional: When we first moved in the previous owner had underfloor heating. But it was ****: She had this fitted around 1970 (ish). Since then we've had radiators fitted but the previous heating system is still sitting underneath cork tiles and carpet.

plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
Imo if you already have decent stands i would not bother with new ones but if you want my opinion of good stands it would be: partington superdreadnoughts/broadsides and soundstyle z1

This is what I'm attempting to decipher: Are they really good or just a cheap pair thrown together to help sell the speakers.

If you intend keeping the PMCs then another pair of stands is unlikely to make any difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Ahhh. This is where it gets a little non-conventional: When we first moved in the previous owner had underfloor heating. But it was ****: She had this fitted around 1970 (ish). Since then we've had radiators fitted but the previous heating system is still sitting underneath cork tiles and carpet.

I have no idea what the effect of coupling the stands into cork tiles with spikes, would be....it might be quite good, as cork shouldn't resonate.

The alternative is to get Granite Worktop Savers from the likes of Argos (I have two under each stand, which I bought for 7 GBP each). I then removed the spikes and Blu-Tak'd the bottom of the stand to the Granite. These worktop savers can be returned if necessary, if bought from Argos.

I'll see if I can blag a pair from Infidelity over the next few days and see if that makes any difference. As he's an Arcam and Yamaha dealer I might try and scrounge a quick listen of the A39 and the 2100.

I just find stands are generally fugly too. Companies like Spendor do make stylish stands but most look like they've been knocked up with bits of old scaffolding.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've found very real differences between heavy solid filled stands and light stands with different speakers , if the speaker encloser is solid then try with light stands I think . Also I liked "flag stones" under stands on suspended floors , the spikes can dig in unlike with granite slabs .

James

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi PP, I use Atacama stands, the ones made of glass (forgot the model). They are fillable so ive used some bright blue pebbles sourced from my local garden centre. I haven't experimented in filling half way vs full. The wife doesn't mind them either ...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Hi PP, I use Atacama stands, the ones made of glass (forgot the model). They are fillable so ive used some bright blue pebbles sourced from my local garden centre. I haven't experimented in filling half way vs full. The wife doesn't mind them either ...

What you fill your stands with and how full you fill them, all effect the sound ime.

Kiln Dried Sand, Rice, Cat Litter, Lead Shot, Atabites, Coloured Gravel for Fish Tanks.

Some fillings boost the bass, but can make the sound a bit "plodding"; others make the sound appear "lighter and faster".

The right product, filled at the correct level (for your taste/speakers/room positioning), takes a bit of experimentation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts