What stands?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Hi Cno what combination would make the sound appear lighter and faster i.e. half full with lead shots?

You could expriment with rice, which is cheap.....if you like the effect, then you would probably need some coloured stuff in your see-through stands.

I think LS50s like solid, heavy stands, so kiln-dried sand is cheap...I dried it out further in the oven: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/adventures-eccentric-irish-hi-fi-enthusiast

As you've said, try different levels (1/4; 1/2; 3/4)....but with your stands, they may look odd if not fully filled, which is where the rice comes in.

If you prefer the sound with heavier filling, try fish tank gravel, as it will fill the area better than pebbles.

The filling does two things: 1) Add weight; 2) Helps deaden the stand. Sometimes you want one without the other and sometimes you want both. Sand is good for both.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Today I picked up a pair of Atacama Moseco from the dealers. This is first chance I've had to actually listen to them. I'll probably give a view or two tomorrow.

Do they change the way your speakers sound? A Yes or No answer will do at this juncture.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Today I picked up a pair of Atacama Moseco from the dealers. This is first chance I've had to actually listen to them. I'll probably give a view or two tomorrow.

Do they change the way your speakers sound? A Yes or No answer will do at this juncture.

Not sure if my hearing is iffy or not... there is a subtle difference or it could be our back door has been open most the day.

The top plate is a little deficient but placed centrally it doesn't seem to have any initial stabilisation issues.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Not sure if my hearing is iffy or not... there is a subtle difference or it could be our back door has been open most the day.

The top plate is a little deficient but placed centrally it doesn't seem to have any initial stabilisation issues.

I'd be surprised if there was a big difference (subtle at best), as the 2 sets of stands look to be of a similar quality and sturdyness; and both are made of metal tubing. The most likely difference will be down to the filling (I take it that the Atacamas are unfilled).

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I'd be surprised if there was a big difference (subtle at best), as the 2 sets of stands look to be of a similar quality and sturdyness; and both are made of metal tubing. The most likely difference will be down to the filling (I take it that the Atacamas are unfilled).

The dealer uses them as a dem pair. It has something in it. I shone the torch down and they look to around a third full. It's dark coloured.

Update:

After a couple of days of positioning and re-positioning, started to notice a slight difference: It sounded a tad more cohesive. Or perhaps my ears were playing tricks but a subtle improvement could be heard.

I've sent them back for the timebeing and once we come back off holiday (Friday week), I'll re-address the situation with a clear musical palate.

Hay Pp.I also use the moseco stands half filled with attabites.The top plate is quite small as you say but fit just fine with the 20 21's,but a larger size plate is available......at a price of course...I think it would be more thoughtful of atacama had they given the option of plate size upon purchase other than a 30 quid add on after you've already spent £150 on them...but they do go lovely with my matching eris 5.0 rack all in dark bamboo.As for sound I reckon my b&w fs 700's are better,but just don't fit in since I turned to the dark side.lol

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I kind of regret buying my Atacama SL600i stands now.

They are excellent and were pretty good value at £150 (I got a bit of discount).

They are an uncannily good 'fit' for my loudspeakers. The top/support plates are 225mm square and the bottom of my 'speakers (not counting grilles) are 230mm square :)

They are extremely well made and very stable.

However, they are ugly and look like the legs of North Sea oil platforms ...

atacamasl6000funky__13743.jpg

I am thinking of making/fitting some little shelves for my speakers. (They were designed with corner and near-wall placement in mind.)

(Or maybe going to IKEA!)

chebby said:
I kind of regret buying my Atacama SL600i stands now.

They are excellent and were pretty good value at £150 (I got a bit of discount).

They are an uncannily good 'fit' for my loudspeakers. The top/support plates are 225mm square and the bottom of my 'speakers (not counting grilles) are 230mm square :)

They are extremely well made and very stable.

However, they are ugly and look like the legs of North Sea oil platforms ...

I am thinking of making/fitting some little shelves for my speakers. (They were designed with corner and near-wall placement in mind.)

(Or maybe going to IKEA!)

Yeah, they are fugly. I quite like the sound of either stand so I'm not going bust a gut over instantly changing them.

Actually I've been thinking about going back to floorstanders: PMC GB1is look good candidates as do Totem Arros.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts