What speakers?

VCalegon

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I was wanting to spend £800 on a pair of floorstanders, but then I reorganised all my furniture and realised I don't have enough floorspace, so it's going to have to be bookshelf speakers (literally, they have to go on the bookshelves) and a bass bin. How do I apportion £800 between the two, and what kit do you recommend?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Spend just over £300 on a BK XLS200 and the rest on speakers. BK make probably the best value subs available and to be honest there is no point going with a poor quality sub as it will be to detriment of the speakers overall performance. I'd rather have limited bass than poor quality bass, that said with the XLS200 you don't have to compromise.

Are you looking for new of used speakers?

Options around that price point include:

ATC SCM7

B&W CM1

PMC DB1 (used)

EB Acoustics

Q Acoustics Concept 20 (due to be released soon)

VCalegon

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The room is about 4m x 5m, and I'll be buying new not second-hand. It's the desk, plan chest, easel, guitars and freezer that limit the floorspace, lol!

(nothing sinister about the freezer - it's just that my kitchen is about 2m square!)

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The new Q-Acoustics look pretty good at £350. That would leave plenty for a sub and cables.

You might even get some change form the £800

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
:dance: i think sending all that money on some speakers and then putting them on a shelf is a bit mad.just get the wharfedale 121.bass comes from the bottom so you can put them on a shelf and near a wall and they sound amazing

VCalegon

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Joshuamessenger said:
Pending on the amp. I would Go for MA rx1 and with a rel t zero, nice setup for speed and depth

At the moment I have an Arcam Solo, but it's starting to play up, and I expect to buy a Cyrus CD player to plug into the back of it, and then the amp upgrade will come last.

seemorebtts said:
:dance: i think sending all that money on some speakers and then putting them on a shelf is a bit mad.just get the wharfedale 121.bass comes from the bottom so you can put them on a shelf and near a wall and they sound amazing

Well, I'm hoping it will be a temporary situation. I'm even thinking of buying the bass bin and just using some old Yamaha bookshelf speakers from a mini system in my gf's loft until a better option becomes available. That doesn't make a lot of sense. If I was going to do that, I wouldn't need to know how to apportion £800.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Forget floorstands, the KEF LS 50s sound better than any floorstander I've heard and they offer deep bass down to the 40hz region. Imaging, detail, and separation are all first rate and you can always get a sub to get deeper bass. For me, the LS 50s bass is good enough.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
VCalegon said:
Joshuamessenger said:
Pending on the amp. I would Go for MA rx1 and with a rel t zero, nice setup for speed and depth

At the moment I have an Arcam Solo, but it's starting to play up, and I expect to buy a Cyrus CD player to plug into the back of it, and then the amp upgrade will come last.

seemorebtts said:

Well, I'm hoping it will be a temporary situation. I'm even thinking of buying the bass bin and just using some old Yamaha bookshelf speakers from a mini system in my gf's loft until a better option becomes available. That doesn't make a lot of sense. If I was going to do that, I wouldn't need to know how to apportion £800.
yea just make shore that you get it right the 1st time and dont wast your money,iv done this before and sold everything coz i got it wrong.:doh:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
csq2 said:
Forget floorstands, the KEF LS 50s sound better than any floorstander I've heard and they offer deep bass down to the 40hz region. Imaging, detail, and separation are all first rate and you can always get a sub to get deeper bass. For me, the LS 50s bass is good enough.

I thought LS50s went down to 50hzs?

Anyway they are good but I would not put them on a shelf or next to a wall.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
You have a nice amp with plenty of power for your needs if you what a good speaker with lil space neat iota is my top choice. But if you go for sub combo I think rx1 with Tzero

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts