What should sound better?

OK

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Kindly I need to know which AV receiver and Speakers setup is better? in terms of movies sounds details and musically??

Option 1:

B&W 685 Theater Speakers package:

Front: B&W 685

Rear: B&W 686

Center: B&W HTM62

Subwoofer: B&W ASW610

WITH Onkyo TX-NR809

or

Option 2:

KEF Q500 series Speakers package

WITH Onkyo TX-NR 1008

???

Kindly I need your HELP???

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Difficult to say - as an owner of a similar B&W system (M1 rears instead of 686s), I can say they do provide an excellent setup. I use with an older Onkyo 905 amp. However, I've not heard the newer Onkyos or the KEF speakers.

Have you tried to contact a dealer who stocks both B&W and KEF so you can do a comparison?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you give a little more detail on how you like your music to sound (ie. Brighter/More Forward/Detailed or Smoother and Warmer), it would help a little. Also some room details like size and how furnished (lots of soft furnishings, curtains or sparse and modern with tiled floors)

At the end of the day, the Prof is right (he usually is)..... the only opinion that matters is yours, and we can't tell you that. A demo is the only way.

OK

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your replies,

Unfortunately I cannot get a demo session to decide....

The Room is 6.5m*4.5m...

There are few number of furniture pieces in the room

The room has a big L shaped couch, 3 bean bags, a medium size bar counter with some stools and a rug.....

Concerning the sound.... i listen to different kind of music from oldies to trance tech (Armin Van Buuren)....

What I'm concerned about is the movie sounds details???

If I chose one option am I going to get a less sound details set up or more???

Thank you,

Omar Kakish

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the other posts, this is a rather impossible question to answer and if you cannot demo it then you are going to have to go by reviews on what hifi.

The Q500 and 1008 Onkyo would sound great, now its clear you decided on the receiver brand already so no point recommending others there.

I heard the B&W setup before buying my setup and they are incredible too. But again totally different sounds and they will sound totally different with other receivers too.

You really so need to travel to demo if its not available near you. I traveled 130 miles just to demo an Arcam 500!

OK

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I live in Amman Jordan...

I'm going to buy the setup from Dubai....since the setup is not available in Jordan...

I worked in AV for 3 years building home cinema and music systems...

I used to work with Monitor Audio, Yamaha speakers

and Arcam, Yamaha AV reviever

KEF, B&W and Onkyo products cannot be found in Jordan....

I alwasy dreamt of building my own homecinema setup... It's always been something i wanted to have and a passion

since I love movies and music

I lived in UK for 2 years that gave me a chance to buy a Sony VPL-HW10 projector

I have to work arround to get me a great setup :)

That's why I need your kind help, please :)))

OK

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I live in Amman Jordan...

I'm going to buy the setup from Dubai....since the setup is not available in Jordan...

I worked in AV for 3 years building home cinema and music systems...

I used to work with Monitor Audio, Yamaha speakers

And Arcam, Yamaha AV receiver

KEF, B&W and Onkyo products cannot be found in Jordan....

I always dreamt of building my own home cinema setup... It's always been something i wanted to have and a passion

Since I love movies and music

I lived in UK for 2 years that gave me a chance to buy a Sony VPL-HW10 projector

I have to work around to get me a great setup

That's why I need your kind help, please))

OK

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Thank you duaplex,

I have the prices offer for option 2 waiting the prices offer on option 1.....

I hope to make the right decision :) i have only one shot at this :p

:cheers:

OK

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Thank you duaplex,

I have the prices offer for option 2 waiting the prices offer on option 1.....

I hope to make the right decision :) i have only one shot at this :p

:cheers:

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi have exactly Option 1 with my Onkyo 905 receiver and its fantastic and immersive with films and the B&W 685s are excellent with all types of music Prodigy, Stevie Wonder to Led Zeppelin. You will not be disapointed by the way I gave my KEF floorstanders to my son and he loves the B&Ws!

Try and audition your short list before buying.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS