Wireless, active speakers - alternatives to KEF LSX?

Havelund

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Hey guys.

I'm moving in with my significant other and therefore my B&W 685's have to be replaced sadly.

I need a pair of active speakers with integrated connectivity (bluetooth, WiFi - the more the merrier!) and an optical input. I have many options, right? Here's the kicker; they need to be wallmounted.
I've more or less decided on the LSX - which are definitely at the top of my budget - but they seem to tick all boxes - and the fact that they're wirelessly connected is even better.

They will of course be used with both music and movies.

Are the LSX's my best option or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

Tinman1952

Hey guys.

I'm moving in with my significant other and therefore my B&W 685's have to be replaced sadly.

I need a pair of active speakers with integrated connectivity (bluetooth, WiFi - the more the merrier!) and an optical input. I have many options, right? Here's the kicker; they need to be wallmounted.
I've more or less decided on the LSX - which are definitely at the top of my budget - but they seem to tick all boxes - and the fact that they're wirelessly connected is even better.

Thanks in advance.
Hi there…. Shame about losing the 685s…still a change is nearly always a good thing 🙂
The only speakers that come to mind immediately of similar (or better) quality are the Dynaudio Xeo 10 that I have seen reduced from £1300 to £950. Might be worth a look…..good luck!

Reactions: jjbomber

insider9

Hey guys.

Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome!

The obvious question would be why the need to go active? Is it your idea or your partner's? I don't want to put a downer on what's otherwise a wonderful and exciting time in your life but are you really prepared to compromise so soon? Hey! No judgment. I've done this before. Didn't turn out well for me but wouldn't be doing you any favours if I didn't ask. If you don't feel comfortable to discuss it on a hifi forum that's understandable.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Hi and welcome!

The obvious question would be why the need to go active? Is it your idea or your partner's? I don't want to put a downer on what's otherwise a wonderful and exciting time in your life but are you really prepared to compromise so soon? Hey! No judgment. I've done this before. Didn't turn out well for me but wouldn't be doing you any favours if I didn't ask. If you don't feel comfortable to discuss it on a hifi forum that's understandable.
There are obviously significant ‘non-HiFi’ benefits…..😉

manicm

Hey guys.

Thanks in advance.

I share your pain. The 685’s were just beautiful speakers in all aspects.

manicm

Hi and welcome!

Why go active? Because <box count, especially if it has streaming built in.

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
It might be worth looking at the Kanto range - cheaper than LSX's and their YU4 , YU6 and new TUK models get reasonable reviews given what they are. They don't have WiFi connectivity, but they all have optical, bluetooth and phono. Unlike the LSX's they don't have matching wall brackets, but you'll find good brackets anywhere frankly. Assuming you are in UK, the other downside is that as a Canadian brand there are few local dealers in the UK who stock them. Thats where the usual brands such as KEF can win through.

The LSXs are good though, and particularly if their inbuilt wifi streaming is an attraction. Not sure I like the cloth wrapping though. They are widely reduced at the moment, which suggests they're about to be replaced by LSX2s...

Fair disclosure - I have Kanto's baby YU2 speakers on my desktop and they're absolutely brilliant and have kept me sane all throughout lockdown.

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I'd recommend the LS-50 Wireless 1st Gen, which can be found at reduced prices, or second hand. It's a much better version of the same line of speakers, and it's the best of wired and wireless speakers : it has the best USB input and can be used with any laptop, and it can be driven wirelessly from a phone, and in bit-perfect mode if you use Audirvana. I have not heard a better (digital) sound on active speakers or even bookshelf speakers below €5,000, at 1,500 (current prices ) or less it's a steal.
YMMV, but you will probably not regret your B&W 605s so much if you settle on that model (and it has gorgeous looks that usually please most people).
Hope this helps.

Tinman1952

I'd recommend the LS-50 Wireless 1st Gen, which can be found at reduced prices, or second hand. It's a much better version of the same line of speakers, and it's the best of wired and wireless speakers : it has the best USB input and can be used with any laptop, and it can be driven wirelessly from a phone, and in bit-perfect mode if you use Audirvana. I have not heard a better (digital) sound on active speakers or even bookshelf speakers below €5,000, at 1,500 (current prices ) or less it's a steal.
YMMV, but you will probably not regret your B&W 605s so much if you settle on that model (and it has gorgeous looks that usually please most people).
Hope this helps.
OP says top of his budget is c£850…..

Reactions: EricLeRouge

Havelund

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi there…. Shame about losing the 685s…still a change is nearly always a good thing 🙂
The only speakers that come to mind immediately of similar (or better) quality are the Dynaudio Xeo 10 that I have seen reduced from £1300 to £950. Might be worth a look…..good luck!

I've always fancied Dynaudio, however I have had a difficult time figuring out if they are as "plug and play" as the LSXs, but I am keeping my eye out!

Hi and welcome!

Thanks!

Actually it's my own idea. The coming situation doesn't really allow for big amplifiers or floor standing speakers, but I really want something that does a proper job at music; at least somewhat! There's no doubt that I would've probably found a way if I only had to take my own requirements into consideration, but I also know that upgrading the TV and her Sonos speakers is probably where I have to stay satisfied for now! ;-)

It might be worth looking at the Kanto range - cheaper than LSX's and their YU4 , YU6 and new TUK models get reasonable reviews given what they are. They don't have WiFi connectivity, but they all have optical, bluetooth and phono. Unlike the LSX's they don't have matching wall brackets, but you'll find good brackets anywhere frankly. Assuming you are in UK, the other downside is that as a Canadian brand there are few local dealers in the UK who stock them. Thats where the usual brands such as KEF can win through.

The LSXs are good though, and particularly if their inbuilt wifi streaming is an attraction. Not sure I like the cloth wrapping though. They are widely reduced at the moment, which suggests they're about to be replaced by LSX2s...

Fair disclosure - I have Kanto's baby YU2 speakers on my desktop and they're absolutely brilliant and have kept me sane all throughout lockdown.

I will take a look at Kantos! They do look very neat! Thanks!

Hope this helps.

The LS50 Wireless would without a doubt tick most boxes! I do know, they need an interlinking cable, but that's manageable; I've just gotten into my head they can't be wall mounted? I have found them quite cheap here in Denmark secondhand!

Thank you all for taking your time so far; it really helps!

I’m glad you stated where you are, as I was just about to mention that they’re £150 off some colours here in the UK right now. They sound smaller than the LS50, but that’s not a surprise because they’re pretty tiny.

I have not seen them wall mounted - they have rear ports - but they can stand on a desk, though obviously sound better on ugly stands! There are settings for wall proximity etc.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
To me, the LSX sounds underwhelming without sub. There just isn't enough bass. - Wall/Corner mounting may help a little in that respect.

The speaker I would have recommended are Klipsch'es the Fives but they would have too much bass near walls.

Triangle also do an Active standmount, the LN01A. I have not heard it but it is within the OP's budget.

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I've always fancied Dynaudio, however I have had a difficult time figuring out if they are as "plug and play" as the LSXs, but I am keeping my eye out!

Thanks!

Actually it's my own idea. The coming situation doesn't really allow for big amplifiers or floor standing speakers, but I really want something that does a proper job at music; at least somewhat! There's no doubt that I would've probably found a way if I only had to take my own requirements into consideration, but I also know that upgrading the TV and her Sonos speakers is probably where I have to stay satisfied for now! ;-)

I will take a look at Kantos! They do look very neat! Thanks!

The LS50 Wireless would without a doubt tick most boxes! I do know, they need an interlinking cable, but that's manageable; I've just gotten into my head they can't be wall mounted? I have found them quite cheap here in Denmark secondhand!

Thank you all for taking your time so far; it really helps!

If you can find them second hand at a price that is (almost) within your reasonable budget, then I'd say don't hesitate, you won't regret it — especially if you use the USB input with a lossless, or even better, a bit-perfect source.

Re: wall mounted, you may find a solution (they would require to be at least 20 cm from the wall, probably), but you will probably find that they sound best on stands. I've used them on my desk, in 'desk' mode, and they are truly great for near-field listening.

On this subject, these speakers, when used properly, have amazing definition and finesse even at the lowest possible volume (even when someone else in the room can barely hear the sound) so they are great for living in an apartment or for late night listening. This is something I have never seen mentioned in the reviews and consumer feedback, but it's definitely one of its features. It sounds great at all volumes (including at blasting levels), but is quite amazing at very low volumes (something difficult to find in speakers in general).

Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun and let us know how it goes. Cheers.

Havelund

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
A new idea has come up within the last few weeks; a Bluesound Node 2i for all streaming purposes and a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 3's -> the lady of the house has finally accepted speakerstands!

Are the Xeo 3's still a good pair of speakers? I'm a little worried for the age of them; not the speakers themselves, but mostly all of the technology that goes into building the wireless parts and the active parts. Do they still compare to modern active systems?

ja_kub_sz

May 26, 2021
Visit site
What about the Q Active?

I've always heard good things, but have yet to try.

I do love my LS50 Meta's.

Havelund

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
What about the Q Active?

I've always heard good things, but have yet to try.

I do love my LS50 Meta's.
The Q Active seem a bit over budget; they're around double the price (from new, can't find any second hand near me) of what options I'm currently exploring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts