What music sounds good LOUD?

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
With everyone out of the house including the neighbours, I've had a rare opportunity to turn up the wick and a chance to listen to something different :rockout:

Been listening to:

Slash - Slash

I found an interesting article about how this album was recorded on ancient analogue gear http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/articles/it_0710.htm

If you know how an electric guitar should sound, you'll know if your system is doing the business with this album. You can really turn it up and, while it's really in-your-face, it's never harsh.

I particularly like trk 9. "Watch this" featuring Dave Grohl on drums.

Emika - Emika

The track "Professional Loving" has some incredible deep bass...it vibrates through your chest and swirls around the floor in front of you. Play this at about 90dB and you'll have to grin. Much better than James Blake, IMO.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxXS6WbO1HY

I even put some Lady Gaga on, I've heard her stuff on the radio and never liked it. But "Bad Romance" really does kick some when you crack it up! :grin:

Topped it off with a bit of Nirvana, "Breed" is a track that sounds great loud as well...

I think in future, anytime I test kit I will bring one or two tracks like this and turn it right up! No point in listening quietly to "audiophile" favourites like Dire Straits, Diana Krall etc that sound pleasant and inoffensive on practically any equipment!

A

Anonymous

Not everyone's cup of tea granted but (amongst a huge variety of music I also listen to) I do love to turn the volume up with these - this kind of music demands a bit more volume:

Synasthesia - Thrillseekers remix

Voices - Dario G

In my memory - DJ Tiesto

Boys of Summer - DJ Sammy

Paper Romance - Groove Armada

Come Together - Primal Scream

Communication Pt 3 - Armin van Buuren

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
images
try this and
images
must be very loud though:rockout:

A

Anonymous

There are many songs on which I can hardly resist the urge to turn them up. More often than not, they are surprisingly mellow in terms of rhythm...

(skipping perennial favourites like Black Velvet, Hedonism, Sweet Home Alabama, China Grove -- gotta keep the list somewhat short ;) )

David Bowie - Sunday

Depeche Mode - Shine

Dream Theater - Prophets of war

Faithless - One step too far

Gare Du Nord - Somethin' in my mouth

Muse - Sing for absolution

Pink Floyd - Sorrow

Santana & Eric Clapton - The calling

Snow Patrol - Set the fire to the third bar

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Richard Strauss' Alpine Symphony takes some beating. Played loud there's nothing quite like it.

All of Mahler's Symphonies. My current favourites at full tilt volume are 1st & 5th.

My Morning Jacket's Anytime followed by Lay Low (tracks 7&8 on their album, Z).

Miserabilism - Pet Shop Boys

Currently listening to Penderecki's Polymorphia really loud and it's shaking the sofa rather disturbingly. And scaring the cat.

It's just ended so I'm keen to give Beefheart's Big-Eyed Beans From Venus a loud, extraordinary rendition.

Charlie Jefferson said:
Richard Strauss' Alpine Symphony takes some beating. Played loud there's nothing quite like it.

All of Mahler's Symphonies. My current favourites at full tilt volume are 1st & 5th.

My Morning Jacket's Anytime followed by Lay Low (tracks 7&8 on their album, Z).

Miserabilism - Pet Shop Boys

Currently listening to Penderecki's Polymorphia really loud and it's shaking the sofa rather disturbingly. And scaring the cat.

It's just ended so I'm keen to give Beefheart's Big-Eyed Beans From Venus a loud, extraordinary rendition.

+1 for Mr. Don Van Vliet and his magic band ....... oops, showing my age now!

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
A good varied selection, I'll check some of those out.

Any particular recommended Mahler recording?

+2 Beefheart, reminded me I've got Trout Mask Replica double vinyl (but no TT!)

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Queen - you take my breath away - amazing vocal harmonies surround you

Blackmore's Night - Benzai-Ten (you can really feel the big bass drum at volume)

Deep Purple - Machine Head Album :rockout:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
paradiziac said:
A good varied selection, I'll check some of those out.

Any particular recommended Mahler recording?

+2 Beefheart, reminded me I've got Trout Mask Replica double vinyl (but no TT!)

The Mahler 5th I'm currently blasting out is conducted by Gustavo Dudamel/Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra on Deutsche Gramophon.

Don't know how it compares to other versions, as I haven't got any. It sounds great to me.

Another "loud is good piece" I'm really into at the moment is Daniel Hope playing Berg and Britten Violin Concertos.

A

Anonymous

If you want to go really loud then electronic music is the only option. Try Aero by Jean Michele Jarre. Its re-recordings of JMJ's classics done by the man himself with modern equipment.

It's souless, cliched, and has way too many stereo effects but it is the clearest "recording" i have ever heard and will go as loud as you can handle!

A

Anonymous

If you want to go really loud then electronic music is the only option. Try Aero by Jean Michele Jarre. Its re-recordings of JMJ's classics done by the man himself with modern equipment.

It's souless, cliched, and has way too many stereo effects but it is the clearest "recording" i have ever heard and will go as loud as you can handle!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Rich O said:

Love the notion of "loud as you can handle". As you say, shame it's JMJ.

Sticking to Beefheart, Berg and R.Strauss.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Rich O said:

I've already I tried that, not my cuppa. I like to test my system sometimes, but subjectively great music comes first.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
The Mahler 5th I'm currently blasting out is conducted by Gustavo Dudamel/Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra on Deutsche Gramophon.

Ah, seem to remember buying that very disc for someone, I'll have to borrow it back!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts