The simple reality of good music . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Rummaging through Spotify last night, came across this album, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson performing together live: Search Spotify: Johnny Cash - VH-1 Storytellers

. . . for me a fascinating recording, the singing and guitar playing is fairly basic, tracks are 5-6 minutes long, with up to a third taken by the chat between them at the end, great banter and an in-site into their inspiration and song writing. The beauty of the recording for me is its simplicity, honesty, reality and clarity, not so impressed by some of the track cuts but the pleasure we got from it overcame that.

Yep, another Horlicks hour excursion into simple, uncomplicated, relaxing music . . . CJSF

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Will have a listen later on! :grin:

I have 3 cd's from Allan Taylor ( from stockfish records) heavenly mastered, and "Colour Of the Moon" with Derrol Adams and Alex Campbell, is exactly as you describe a display of simple acoustic music played by great artists and with some talk about the music history between track with no cuts.

i've looked in spotify but no luck...:(

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
CJSF said:
The beauty of the recording for me is its...honesty, reality

I'm not sure what you mean by this - are you talking about the music itself or the quality of the recording?

. . . I like the way the music presents, its in the room, a performance for me, the naturalness of the recording, my system is particularly good at natural human voice. So instead of beauty . . . try, 'natural, honest, real' . . . the hifi system does not exist . . . ?

18.51 added PS . . . have a listen, judge for yourself?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Think the quality of the recording, sometimes, pales into insignificance. Listened this evening to some Kinks on CD. Not as good as the vinyl version, but still very enjoyable.

Agree with that PP, spent a lot of the afternoon yesterday listening to 50's and early 60's 'Rock and Roll', sound quality did not matter although a lot of it was excellent.

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CJSF,

Have you heard Highwaymen - Cash, Nelson, Jennings & kristoffesen, my old man is a big country fan and i gew up on it - I love Highwaymen such good music

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the music is always the most important thing and I also think that sometimes in our quest to get the best system, we can overlook this.

However a good system does enhance the listening experience of music. Two years ago I spent what was for me a lot of money on upgrading my hifi, and after a nonth or so with it at home, I started to listen to genres of music that I had only previously dabbled with.

My system sounds great with vocals and acoustics and I tehrefore started to buy more of this type of music.

I still love my rock music, and Oasis have always been my favourire band for sheer sing your heart out pleasure, yes there recordings do appear to be particulalry bad, but it takes me back to my younger years which is great escapism.

But like I said I now listen to the likes of First Aid Kit, Waxahatchee and I have bought a lot of Elvis and Dusty Springfiled. I now listen to a lot more music with vocals and I think this is down to my hifi..........or is it my age?? :) :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
CJSF,

Have you heard Highwaymen - Cash, Nelson, Jennings & kristoffesen, my old man is a big country fan and i gew up on it - I love Highwaymen such good music

The odd

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
CJSF,

I have heard a bit of the Highwaymen on Spotify, but mostly as individual and duos as the recording I refer to, it is just electric to me, intimate, enthralling.

CJSF.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yep, another Horlicks hour excursion into simple, uncomplicated, relaxing music . . . CJSF

that is what its all about, surely?

The beauty of good hifi, it has a relaxing way, all without effort, which one can relax, unwind to. Choose a bit of music that has some drive to it and a good system will rise to the occasion, properly assembled, a good system can deliver any kind of music IMHO.

Especialy when the music is open and uncomplicated, you hear the good and bad in recording and in the hifi. I love close field listening when setting up or tweaking as system, you can hear 'warts and all', bad recording, performers style, peculiarities and mistakes which makes them human . . . as well as problems with your hifi . . . I dare you . . . ;)

CJSF

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You might like this CJSF :)

The recording is simple and very good , there are no overdubs, edits , fixes , pro tools trickery , tuning or any other manipulation and it was recorded in one take in fact he just sat down in Chris Raspante's living room in front of a mike and played and recorded it !

On a good HiFi it puts the real thing in front of you , truly amazing !

I have a copy of this Cd and it sends shivers up and down my spine every time I play it :)

Jace Everett – Old New Borrowed Blues

If you only want to listen to one track make it the one below .

Jace Everett – Greatest Story Never Told

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts