What is your benchmark to beat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
For me, this type of thread is interesting in expanding my knowledge of both what is available and what people say works well together. Often I will read a post and then search for an item either because I have never heard of it, or I want to know its specs or price. I now have a much better appreciation of the wide range of possibilities in this hobby than I did a few years ago.

Apart from the Bristol show, I don't attend anything else or have a group of local friends that have a similar interest. I'm not comfortable popping into my local dealer every few weeks to have a listen to whatever takes my fancy that week. And I'm not into buying & selling 2nd hand on the bay and the like.

Personally, it never crossed my mind that this thread could be considered elitist.

newlash09 said:
You got me spot on :)

Was actually wondering how everyone will respond if I started a thread requesting people's detailed setups.

The subject could start with the room size. So someone looking for a system, can see the room size straight away at the top, and find it easier to see if it suits their listening room.

The message below could mention the speakers, their positioning from rear and side walls, listening distance.

Then music genres and paired kit. Would be like a holy Bible of sorts :)

And will take away a lot of guess work from the buying process. Just match the room size, read if that particular placement is possible in ones room, and start with the auditions. Thanks.
I think room size might be helpful with speakers, and I recall IPL refer to room dimensions as a guide. But thereafter, differing construction, position in the room, locations of windows and doors etc., all make significant differences.

You might be curious to see Linn's room setup software which attempts to cater for many of these variables. However, part of the fun is making your own adjustments, if that's what you enjoy! (I'd never take anyone else's word for it!!)

https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/space-optimisation

jjbomber

nopiano said:
The new WHF arrived today and features 'best systems' so maybe is getting at the same thing?! I'll read it later!

I recommend page 38. The bit where they finally admit that Cr-Apple update 10.3.1 won't work properly with USB DACs and they have to use a Samsung. I may even cut it out, frame it and hang it on the wall.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Followed your link and quickly got lost in the linn website. Their room optimisation sounds awesome . And my close to finalised speakers are also listed as supported. So that's one nail down. I will be looking for a quality streamer as my next upgrade. May be after a year or two. Is there something is their line up, that combines a combination of room optimisation and streaming too. And what if I wanted their exakt technology too. Their product range looked very confusing to me, and their price list giddying :)

newlash09 said:
Followed your link and quickly got lost in the linn website. Their room optimisation sounds awesome . And my close to finalised speakers are also listed as supported. So that's one nail down. I will be looking for a quality streamer as my next upgrade. May be after a year or two. Is there something is their line up, that combines a combination of room optimisation and streaming too. And what if I wanted their exakt technology too. Their product range looked very confusing to me, and their price list giddying :)
I'm not intimate with all their permutations but the Majik DS offers streaming and room optimisation. Brand new it's almost two grand, but used and ex-dem ones are often on eBay.

There is a great thread on this forum about the DS players.

insider9

newlash09 said:
It would be a two box solution but should you do this the results will be spectacular

Linn Exakt Design is the whole reason I went with diy actives. I can't afford Linn so using a cheaper Minidsp but when I've heard Linn+PMC system at Scalford this year withing half a song I knew I was going to do it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
As much as I would love to go the active route too. The most I could get to will be a Linn majik DS. And even that will be pushing the budget heavily. Their exakt box and then added amplification is way too expensive for me. Will probably never get there .

But the minidsp is something I could try. But will again be plenty of cables and added amplification.

So after reading reviews of the Linn majik DS, Iam fondly hoping that their space optimisation is all I ever need.

I had actually mentioned their exakt system in the above thread without reading their website completely. And after having gone back, and checking the prices, have banished all thoughts of it completely. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts