What is your benchmark to beat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I am totally happy with my system ( in signature ) and have been for quite some time so it is my benchmark.

I have never heard anything better and I have listened to many different systems at prices from budget to stratospheric over the last 43 years ( I'm 59 ).

All I want is to keep what I have which is the closest thing possible to quality live music I have ever heard in my room.

If you want a second opinion ask Mac ( Macspur ) .*smile*

I have never enjoyed listening music on my system more than I do now, it is pure joy and amazement every time I listen, and it does not dissapoint after coming home from a live music event which has been my aim from day one .

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Surely everyones benchmark should be real live music played on acoustic instruments (amplified instruments don't count as you're really just listening to the quality of whatever PA speakers are being used).

The closer a hifi comes to reproducing the sound of real live acoustic music the better it is.

I disagree slightly, in a live amplified performance the PA system becomes part of the music and it should be reproduced as accurately as possible, many musicians choose their PA systems because they sound a certain way.

Completely unamplified music performance is very rare unless you have musicians in the family and reproducing small scale music accurately is a lot easier that large complex and dynamic recordings. *smile*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I've never thought of it in terms of benchmarks in other systems I've heard, in comparison to mine, as I think hi fi is just really about listening pleasure. That is, if you get a certain amount of pleasure from the quality of the sound at a certain quality/price level you are at, it matters not what the reference or benchmark level is.

If money was no object I'd maybe try some Wilson benesch speakers which I heard at the Bristol show and were fantastic. I think they were about £16k, can't remember which ones, but it could have been they were displaying in a decent room and not in a shoe box hotel room. So acoustics could have played a part.

But having said that, I've reached a point with a speaker change to new twenty5 series pmc's in January, and in keeping all Cyrus stuff and moving up the range, last year I changed my pre amp and dac and the year before changed power amps, which has taken my hi fi up to a level (for me at least) that makes it hard to beat for the money spent. Or if so it will probably just be a different type of sound. The only thing my hi fi doesn't do, is go hugely loud with scale, because speakers relatively modest, but for speed of attack, dynamics, clarity, realism, bass response, I'm very pleased.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Electro said:
steve_1979 said:
Surely everyones benchmark should be real live music played on acoustic instruments (amplified instruments don't count as you're really just listening to the quality of whatever PA speakers are being used).

The closer a hifi comes to reproducing the sound of real live acoustic music the better it is.

I disagree slightly, in a live amplified performance the PA system becomes part of the music and it should be reproduced as accurately as possible, many musicians choose their PA systems because they sound a certain way.

Completely unamplified music performance is very rare unless you have musicians in the family and reproducing small scale music accurately is a lot easier that large complex and dynamic recordings. *smile*

Unamplifed music performances are very rare? Classical music...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A few months back I wandered into a local, irish, pub, one that I usually avoid. There was a duo playing, just a guitar and voice, completely unamplified.

Rootsy (if I can use that term) Irish folk songs are not normally my thing but this was remarkably engaging, so much so that we stayed for a second pint.

In a previous life I would often, when setting up, wander between the control room and the studio floor, live instruments all around, piano, guitars, etc, etc. Very educational.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
A few months back I wandered into a local, irish, pub, one that I usually avoid. There was a duo playing, just a guitar and voice, completely unamplified.

Rootsy (if I can use that term) Irish folk songs are not normally my thing but this was remarkably engaging, so much so that we stayed for a second pint.

In a previous life I would often, when setting up, wander between the control room and the studio floor, live instruments all around, piano, guitars, etc, etc. Very educational.

Too much Diddley-Dee music can send you nuts. *crazy* *biggrin*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

None of the usual irish style, mostly voice with restrained guitar, very spartan. More remeniscent of the hard core english folk of times past, lyrically very irish though.

davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

None of the usual irish style, mostly voice with restrained guitar, very spartan. More remeniscent of the hard core english folk of times past, lyrically very irish though.

If they sing with a finger in their ear just imagine how we hear it..... :)

If it's any consolation I rolled into a pub once in Eire and unknowingly they had a live acoustic band on..... turned out to be a young U2, not long afterwards visited Mother Blues Club in Dallas, on a course, and they had a live act on ...Thin Lizzy.

funny old world....

Although that might have been the other way around historically, hazy days...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
We used to supply live sound systems to U2 when they visited london to play colleges or the Marquee.

Very young and very eager, during their first visit they were refining their early songs, most of which ended up on Boy. Fine album.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I was at school with Adam Clayton....just sayin'.

As I was saying.

Quite fond of early U2, really lost interest after the Joshua Tree album.

I would love to hear 'Under a blood red sky' again, big fan of live albums though 'Rattle and hum' was execrable.

Edit. Just found it on Spotify, not listed as an album if you look up U2 but a specific search found it as a compilation. Saved for later.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yep happy with my hifi

it's taken some time to get to this stage and years of box swapping and changing speakers but very happy with my setup it does what I want it to do very nicely .

i am getting the most out of my speakers in quality as the A-S2100 and A-CD player both are a perfect match for my speakers sonically which is important to get the matching right with your speakers I get a nice clean natural detailed sound with good bass management .

so hopefully as long as I have no issues with the Yamaha stuff or the speakers I should have my setup still when I am so old I can't hear anymore to listen to music .

but if I won the lottery I would like the flagship Dali floor standing speakers *smile* I can wish if your listening Dali I think you make some excellent speakers *pleasantry*

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So after purchasing my Exposure 3010 pre/power amps last November, I've always said I would upgrade my speakers at some point too. I really enjoy my current setup and I have no niggling issues, so actually my benchmark to beat is my current set up. Listening to Rhiannon Giddens on Spotify last night - I felt immersed in the music and then suddenly I thought wow! - this is really really great! It was just that feeling of being there in the moment.

Anyway, the exciting thing for me is potentially how much better it can get and after 3 Bristol Shows, the speakers that stick in my mind are the Spendor D7's. I just kept going back into the room for another listen. And I've been told that Spendor works well with Exposure elecronics. I've no idea whether the D7's would be overkill but they have given me something to set my sights on.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My benchmark has been the Avantgarde Zero 1 ever since I auditioned it (early 2014 IIRC).

6049_Avantgarde-Acoustic-Zero-1_2649.jpg

EDIT: then again, the Devialet + Quad ESL-2912 combo was not too shabby either...

imgres

@Cno & Dave

I quite like diddley-diddley music. In S. London there were quite a few Irish pubs, and most Friday and Saturday nights you could hear the music. Most of it was engauging. That said, IMHO, any folk music needs to be heard live. Don't think I could hack buying CDs or vinyl.

Back on topic: The benchmark can only be your current set-up. I only purchased the Tucana on the strength of the Pulse.

Sorry guy's but I didn't think hi-fi listening was a competition....more of a means to a end.....the op's theme seems to be a system to beat a system......it's all subjective at the end of the day....one man's budget system is another's audio nirvana.....and then one man's audio nirvana is some really rich persons budget system if you know what I mean......we all have different budgets,different types of living spaces and needs...and to me...this thread seems a little bit elitist.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Sorry guy's but I didn't think hi-fi listening was a competition....more of a means to a end.....the op's theme seems to be a system to beat a system......it's all subjective at the end of the day....one man's budget system is another's audio nirvana.....and then one man's audio nirvana is some really rich persons budget system if you know what I mean......we all have different budgets,different types of living spaces and needs...and to me...this thread seems a little bit elitist.

Sadly, thats pretty much what hi-fi has become. There is a lot of snobbishness about at the moment along with plenty of the reverse, 'I got my current system from a skip', nonsense.

I have largely given up 'hi-fi' lately, I stream all my music from Spotify through a minimalist system that is fairly unobtrusive and easy to use. Spotify is a less than optimum source and my in room setup is less than ideal yet I get a taut, rhythmic presentation, completely lacking in boom or other 'speaker issues' that is easy to listen to.

Currently the only downside is that it clearly shows up the differences in recording quality which can be a little dissapointing at times. Go back to something that is reasonably well recorded, I'm not talking about audiophile recordings here, and the sound is fine.

Down the line I might consider a better streaming option but only if and when Spotify offers an uncompressed service, so for now I'm fine.

Right now my reference for music in the home is my current setup playing some well recorded acoustic material, probably 60s jazz.

To be fair to the OP, I think their interest was in what combinations and systems worked particularly well, not in who has got 'the best'.

The new WHF arrived today and features 'best systems' so maybe is getting at the same thing?! I'll read it later!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Guess you got me wrong there :)

May be the title ended up sounding Elitist, but was never intended to be. I wanted this to be a thread where folks post the successful pairings that they have. Understand that music is a very personal thing. But having folks mentioning what kit works for them in their room, sounded like a good idea. So someone with either of the components, considering to upgrade or change their system, can see the successful pairings around. That was the whole idea, though it could have got diluted down the line :)

Fair enough newlash...it's pretty much OK if you live in a big city and are close to big retailers and getting to great venues for hi-fi shows..even friends if that's what there into ..this way you really can set a reference system to compare your own kit with but I myself and I'm sure many others are unable to get to such places...the first decent shop for me is around 40 miles away in Glasgow and I can't just turn up and ask to hear a top end system with no chance of purchase.lol.All the shows are in England and none of my friends would or could spend more than a few hundred quid on such items.So for me hearing a benchmark system is very difficult and in no way would I put my own system in such high regard....it sounds good within my room constraints and I know for a fact I'd get so much more with floorstanding speakers but I live in a upper flat so no Deal there then..I'm sure others are in such a predicament.....I'd love to hear systems such as Macspurs,Electro's and Gazip's to mention only a few on the forum....they are I'm sure a system for reference.

So at the end of the day...not everyone has nor needs a "benchmark" or reference system to compare to.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam in a very similar boat. And with not many dealers around where I live, I have bought everything blind so far. Some have worked and most haven't.

Taking people's opinions here, has proved better than depending on online reviews alone in the past. And as someone who has just started out in this hobby, without much prior listening experience to begin with, has resulted in some heartburn.

Hence the idea of a thread with pairings of kit that has worked for folks here. Would be easier for someone like me in the future. Price was never a consideration of course, as I mentioned in my opening post that my cheaper speakers , sound better than the expensive ones. So priceier is not always better.

But the title does sound a little Elitist now, after you mentioned it :)

Thanks

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You got me spot on :)

Was actually wondering how everyone will respond if I started a thread requesting people's detailed setups.

The subject could start with the room size. So someone looking for a system, can see the room size straight away at the top, and find it easier to see if it suits their listening room.

The message below could mention the speakers, their positioning from rear and side walls, listening distance.

Then music genres and paired kit. Would be like a holy Bible of sorts :)

And will take away a lot of guess work from the buying process. Just match the room size, read if that particular placement is possible in ones room, and start with the auditions. Thanks.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You got me spot on :)

Was actually wondering how everyone will respond if I started a thread requesting people's detailed setups.

The subject could start with the room size. So someone looking for a system, can see the room size straight away at the top, and find it easier to see if it suits their listening room.

The message below could mention the speakers, their positioning from rear and side walls, listening distance.

Then music genres and paired kit. Would be like a holy Bible of sorts :)

And will take away a lot of guess work from the buying process. Just match the room size, read if that particular placement is possible in ones room, and start with the auditions. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS