What is your benchmark to beat

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a 5.1 setup with the marantz sr6011 and qacoustics q7000i. And also a stereo setup with the qacoustics concept 40 speakers. The q7000i might be small speakers, but blow the concept 40's out of the water in musicality. So this is my benchmark to beat. And IAM fervently in the process of changing a my hifi setup. Would love to hear other people's benchmarks :)

insider9

My benchmark is rather non equipment specific. It's the sound I'm hoping to achieve. Which again isn't a specific kind of sound.

I'm hoping for my system go evolve so much that whatever mood I'm in once I start to listen I don't want to stop. Right now, like many I guess, I can be absolutely smitten one day and the next there's something not quite right (that's why people keep upgrading their gear, I guess). I know it sounds the same and having a measurement mic helps. I can always take a quick measurement if I want to to check that all is well and it's simply my mood that's ruining everything.

Not once have I had this reaction to live music. Just the sound of live instruments, even with genres I wasn't particularly interested at a time, would always draw me in and make me stay and listen. Granted of the music wasn't ultimately either fun or good enough I'd keep walking eventually. But the first reaction was always positive. I want that from my system every time as I'm I'm control of what's playing and it would made me listen for as long as I want.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a Studer playing master tapes or master tape copies or live recordings through an NVA P50SA, Korneff clone 45, EV Patricians.

For vinyl it's an EMT 950.

For CD it's a Marantz CD48.

For the last few years I've only bought stereo equipment to replace stuff that's gone BER (Beyond Economical Repair).

I'm very much open to any suggestions on what I could try to beat my references...

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
At this years Scalford I heard a couple of crackers.

One had a high quality CD source through a Vitus amp to Graham Audio LS5/9 speakers - very very involving musically - (my favourite overall - but very expensive 10 grand amp and 3.5 grand speakers)

Another was Linn Sondek SME arm (i think) to a valve amp to modified Royd Sintra speakers. Very open sound - very easy to listen to (unfortunately I've lost my Scalford programme which was more specific)

tonky

rainsoothe

newlash09 said:
I have a 5.1 setup with the marantz sr6011 and qacoustics q7000i. And also a stereo setup with the qacoustics concept 40 speakers. The q7000i might be small speakers, but blow the concept 40's out of the water in musicality. So this is my benchmark to beat. And IAM fervently in the process of changing a my hifi setup. Would love to hear other people's benchmarks :)

When I was helping my friend purchase a 5.1 setup, we auditioned Marantz SR5010 (i think), and we auditioned, among others, the Q7000i and a 3000 series setup. For my ears, the Q7000i was way better (with that amp, in that room etc). If I would ever think it worth to get a 5.1 setup, those small, sexy speakers would be on the top of my list :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I tried to beat those small q7000i's with the concept 40's paired with the same marantz amp. Couldn't even come close. Makes me really wonder that IAM only using the front LR and a sub on the q7000i, all of which probably retail for 600 pounds, and concept 40's go for 1000 pounds a pair. I think QA has achieved a mile stone here. And even when watching movies, they sound spectacular. I also have a 5.0 setup with the audiopro avanto's. Which are large floorstanders with built in 8 inch woofers. But even these don't come close to the QA 7000i's. I have almost become the brand ambassador for QA in the home theatre section, suggesting them to all who'd care to listen . :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I guess you wanted to go the active crossover route with the minidsp and external amplification for each driver. Would love to hear your progress. IAM really keen on the Dirac thing. And considering that my next speakers come with 3 sets of binding posts , I may follow your route and go tri-amping with an external active crossover.

insider9

newlash09 said:
I guess you wanted to go the active crossover route with the minidsp and external amplification for each driver. Would love to hear your progress. IAM really keen on the Dirac thing. And considering that my next speakers come with 3 sets of binding posts , I may follow your route and go tri-amping with an external active crossover.
Yes, that's right. I've done it. I've converted a pair of Dali 104 a while back as a test. The results were excellent. Since then I got another pair of speakers (vintage Jamo) I was going to turn active but they sound so good I've not done it yet. I'm actually having an issue with minidsp at present. Looks like it will be sent back for repairs.

I can definitely recommend that route. In fact I prefer it to Dirac Live. Linn Exakt would be my ideal solution for this with my own diy speakers I'm yet to design and build.

The most I've ever been impressed with any system was Linn + PMC setup at Scalford.

Edit
Just remember going that route you need to multiply your amplification but it's definitely worth it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Really glad to know that your experiment worked out really well. Iam all new to this Dirac thing. But Iam certainly going with the mini DSP. Not really certain that I would go the tri-amping route as good 6 channels of amplification is going to be very expensive. I have just changed by entire setup. Want to hear it like this for atleast a year. And when I get bored, I will either change my source or will go down the tri-amping route. What would you suggest. Change my source to some high quality kit like the Sony HAP Z1 ES or spend that money on tri-amping. Since you have heard the sonic gains of going the active route, you are in a better position to suggest I guess.

insider9

Look at Linn Exaktbox. They do digital crossover with built in multiway dac and amplification. Different solutions for different people. Much more than I'm prepared to spend at the minute. They're head and shoulders above anything else at present.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
But the big question is...how much does it cost :)

I was thinking of going with a cheap set of Behringer pro amps. All rated at 400w per channel. And for 2000 pounds, same as the Sony hap z1es, I could add 6 of them to my setup for tri-amping.

insider9

Yes, but it's not just amplification. The whole idea of Linn is great. If I get a buyer for one of my kidneys I'll be getting it ;)

Behringers will do just fine and the price is right. I'm also using Yamaha WXC-50 and would then go out via coax to MiniDSP OpenDRC-DA8. It's a really low cost solution and it's great for active crossover + room correction. It's nowhere near as easy to setup as Dirac so you'll need to learn quite lot though if you go that way.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Even I have to put my liver on sale to get that Linn. It's too expensive. I would gladly forego the sonic benefits at that price.

Thanks on the heads-up on the mini DSP. Will surely be going for it. But just hope those Behringer are good enough

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Even I have to put my liver on sale to get that Linn. It's too expensive. I would gladly forego the sonic benefits at that price.

Thanks on the heads-up on the mini DSP. Will surely be going for it. But just hope those Behringer are good enough

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
that we could have this thread with all successful combinations folks have. Would be very easy for someone just starting out to see how different kit combines to give that musicality we all seek. IAM still a seeker here.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
well, I'm generally happy with my set up, as listed below.... sure, I'd like a touch more sparkle on the top end playing vinyl, and a little (just a little) less bass from cds, but they're small gripes in comparison to the many hours of inane grinning I've had!

like others have said, it does all boil down to personal taste...

D

Deleted member 108165

chris_bates1974 said:
sure, I'd like a touch more sparkle on the top end playing vinyl

Turntables are so tweakable, a simple cartridge change could give you exactly what you are looking for.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
After many years of box swapping I found a superb combo of Harbeth and Accuphase, I would be reluctant to change to other brands, so if funds ever permit, I would like to have an Accuphase pre/power combo for amplification and I will be receiving the 40th anniversary SHL5+ in a few days so that will be it for me with regards speakers.

In terms of source, the EMC1UP will be with me until it dies in service and as for the DAC, I must admit EllisDJ as peaked my interest in the Cord TT, but I'm more than happy with the Audiolab MDAC+. for a while yet.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Surely everyones benchmark should be real live music played on acoustic instruments (amplified instruments don't count as you're really just listening to the quality of whatever PA speakers are being used).

The closer a hifi comes to reproducing the sound of real live acoustic music the better it is.

insider9

steve_1979 said:
Surely everyones benchmark should be real live music played on acoustic instruments (amplified instruments don't count as you're really just listening to the quality of whatever PA speakers are being used).

The closer a hifi comes to reproducing the sound of real live acoustic music the better it is.
+1

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
stereoman said:
When the music does not show the disadvantages of the hi fi system and shines simpy through it so that you can focus on its sheer musicality. Yet I have personally never experienced this and I think due to audio technology being still flawed - it is almost impossible to achieve nowadays.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
When the music does not show the disadvantages of the hi fi system and shines simpy through it so that you can focus on its sheer musicality. Yet I have personally never experienced this and I think due to audio technology being still flawed - it is almost impossible to achieve nowadays.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
stereoman said:

This is my personal benchmark. I listen to a massive range of music from classical to elctronic to rock as well as using my hifi for movies and computer games. The most important thing for me is that it always sounds right in every possible way without the hifi ever drawing attention to itself.

As much as I enjoy reading about the technology side of hifi when I listen to music or other media I just want to just enjoy the experience without being distracted by the speakers. IME a hifi system that can reproduce a wide range of proper acoustic music well in a way that actually sounds real will also sound good with all other types of music and media too.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
stereoman said:

This is my personal benchmark. I listen to a massive range of music from classical to elctronic to rock as well as using my hifi for movies and computer games. The most important thing for me is that it always sounds right in every possible way without the hifi ever drawing attention to itself.

As much as I enjoy reading about the technology side of hifi when I listen to music or other media I just want to just enjoy the experience without being distracted by the speakers. IME a hifi system that can reproduce a wide range of proper acoustic music well in a way that actually sounds real will also sound good with all other types of music and media too.

+1 lots of common sense spoken - agree with all of it. - I love the sound of simply recorded classical guitar - it has to be reproduced accurately for me and the rest of my musical tastes then fit in too.

cheers tonky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts