What is this ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
So, let me get this straight, the affect of the equivalent of 6 bags of loft insulation in my listening room is practically unmeasurable, but two door handles on top of my loudspeakers will make a difference? You are having a laugh.

Scattered secondary reflections from the speaker baffle edge are made more uniformly directional.

Alternatively you can stack felt to minimize them. This keeps manufacturing costs down.

A Gentleman's Guide For Improving Loudspeakers

I get that the science is there, and PMC do something similar with the rounding off of housing for the midrange driver from the SE range onwards. However, sticking a random piece of metal in a random position on top of your loudspeakers is not going to produce an infinite baffle effect. I’m sorry it just isn’t.

Like I said, better off buying a nice wood diffuser for the wall.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
So, let me get this straight, the affect of the equivalent of 6 bags of loft insulation in my listening room is practically unmeasurable, but two door handles on top of my loudspeakers will make a difference? You are having a laugh.

Scattered secondary reflections from the speaker baffle edge are made more uniformly directional.

Alternatively you can stack felt to minimize them. This keeps manufacturing costs down.

A Gentleman's Guide For Improving Loudspeakers

I get that the science is there, and PMC do something similar with the rounding off of housing for the midrange driver from the SE range onwards. However, sticking a random piece of metal in a random position on top of your loudspeakers is not going to produce an infinite baffle effect. I’m sorry it just isn’t.

Like I said, better off buying a nice wood diffuser for the wall.

Indeed, although diffusers do need room to work, and in a small room, or if positioned too close to the listening position, can do more harm than good...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had two fish bowls on top of speakers to experiment with.

3UHSdBYP9yxAcSm4pxg10GAZEEkyZAwlCjdF93tCSam8lMFL9j_AoJ_IM74snNl03p8T=w300

I'll try a glass of water or a pepper shaker.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I wish I had two fish bowls on top of speakers to experiment with.

I'll try a glass of water or a pepper shaker.

The fish bowls will not work. Whenever the fish swim about the overall resonant requency will change.

Good condiment plan but use a grinder set to fine milling. Do not a shaker as this will result in an over processed sound. If using the glass of water don’t forget to put a coaster down first to prevent ringing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts