What is this ?

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi. Excuse me...but what do they sometimes place these things on top of loudspeakers for (metal cones) ? Often one can this notice on Kudos speakers...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208266408852669&set=g.732719500167549&type=1&theater&ifg=1

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
stereoman said:
Hi. Excuse me...but what do they sometimes place these things on top of loudspeakers for (metal cones) ? Often one can this notice on Kudos speakers...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208266408852669&set=g.732719500167549&type=1&theater&ifg=1

I understand from what I have read around the subject that what you are seeing here is some kind of complete ********.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
stereoman said:

I understand from what I have read around the subject that what you are seeing here is some kind of complete ********.

Thank you...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Iam still laughing. The ******** really runs deep in our hobby.

If you think these Totem beaks are a strange and odd thing...please enjoy (if you haven't seen it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

...but to be honest this is what I thought about when we listen audio at night. It seems really to sound better, initially we discussed that it could be impurity of the mains during the day. Actually I could agree with this Japanase man.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd probably hear a difference with boxy speakers that have not taken reflections into consideration. I doubt they would matter with KEF LS50 or Blades.

In a way they are more elegant solution compared to stacking felt arround the drivers, but far from similar in effect.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'd probably hear a difference with boxy speakers that have not taken reflections into consideration. I doubt they would matter with KEF LS50 or Blades.

In a way they are more elegant solution compared to stacking felt arround the drivers, but far from similar in effect.

So they work...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
stereoman said:
Vladimir said:

So they work...

Meh... it's still a gimmick. A proper diffusor on the wall would do lots better job, especially for 900 quid.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
stereoman said:
Vladimir said:

So they work...

Meh... it's still a gimmick. A proper diffusor on the wall would do lots better job, especially for 900 quid.

Sorry, but are we talking about those little metal bullets on top of the loudspeaker? If no then phew. If yes then you are a very naughty boy Vladimir, ‘cos there is no way on earth that they are diffusing anything.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
stereoman said:
Vladimir said:

So they work...

Sorry, but are we talking about those little metal bullets on top of the loudspeaker? If no then phew. If yes then you are a very naughty boy Vladimir,

Vadimir has been a really naughty boy since he was already a kid. At 10, he mischievously inverted his parents' speaker polarity* ....

*joke.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Vladimir said:
stereoman said:
Vladimir said:

So they work...

Sorry, but are we talking about those little metal bullets on top of the loudspeaker? If no then phew. If yes then you are a very naughty boy Vladimir, ‘cos there is no way on earth that they are diffusing anything.

They are difusing secondary reflections from the speaker baffle.

82a6d0770aeaafbae8f26bf40a822b9b79a5c412.png

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
stereoman said:
newlash09 said:
Iam still laughing. The ******** really runs deep in our hobby.

If you think these Totem beaks are a strange and odd thing...please enjoy (if you haven't seen it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

...but to be honest this is what I thought about when we listen audio at night. It seems really to sound better, initially we discussed that it could be impurity of the mains during the day. Actually I could agree with this Japanase man.

Good skins. Total opposite to the Beta-mancaver. Probably tossed the wife out a long time ago when she told him the couch can't go in the sweet spot !

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
a totem beak tries to stop resonance not reflection the link to the original pick is not working on my phone for some reason so dont know whats in it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
a totem beak tries to stop resonance not reflection the link to the original pick is not working on my phone for some reason so dont know whats in it.

Resonance: "the reinforcement or prolongation of sound by reflection from a surface or by the synchronous vibration of a neighbouring object."

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So, let me get this straight, the affect of the equivalent of 6 bags of loft insulation in my listening room is practically unmeasurable, but two door handles on top of my loudspeakers will make a difference? You are having a laugh.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
So, let me get this straight, the affect of the equivalent of 6 bags of loft insulation in my listening room is practically unmeasurable, but two door handles on top of my loudspeakers will make a difference? You are having a laugh.

Scattered secondary reflections from the speaker baffle edge are made more uniformly directional.

DiffractReflect.jpg

161206_400X400.jpg

Alternatively you can stack felt to minimize them. This keeps manufacturing costs down.

image.jpg

A Gentleman's Guide For Improving Loudspeakers

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:

Scattered secondary reflections from the speaker baffle edge are made more uniformly directional.

Alternatively you can stack felt to minimize them. This keeps manufacturing costs down.

A Gentleman's Guide For Improving Loudspeakers

I get that the science is there, and PMC do something similar with the rounding off of housing for the midrange driver from the SE range onwards. However, sticking a random piece of metal in a random position on top of your loudspeakers is not going to produce an infinite baffle effect. I’m sorry it just isn’t.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Can't see any point in these.

However, put a solid 1kg round doorstopper on top of each speaker and you likely will notice a difference. Yours for around 3quid, courtesy of a local Aldi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts