What is the Arcam Movie Solo like playing CDs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I currently have a five-year-old hi-fi system that is serving me very well: Rotel RA-01 Amp, Rotel RCD-02 CD player, and a Pure DAB radio. I also have stereo Quad speakers. Now I am about to buy a television and DVD player for the first time (a long story) and I was thinking the Panasonic TX-32LXD700 and DMR-EX77EB-K. However, I've just seen the Arcam Movie Solo and I fell in love with the idea of having just one box to replace my ever-increasing pile of electronics. Whilst I would lose the hard-disk and DVD recording, I would gain 5.1 sound. My question then is this: will I notice a difference in sound quality with my music CDs between the Solo Movie and my current Rotel seperates? I don't want to take a step backwards in my music listening experience, even for the world of movies that awaits :) Thanks for any help or advice.

A

Anonymous

Hi again,

Perhaps no-one actually owns or has listened to the Arcam Movie Solo, or the question is so subjective it is impossible to answer :) anyway, I'll bump this back to the top and give it one last go.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I'd like to know this too.

Dealer I was in at the weekend said the Naim N-Vi is much much better, though it is £1000 more. Or not, just found this deal, not bad! http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/naimnVinew.htm

Looking at these for the folks and would very much like to hear others thoughts on both machines.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Here's what we said about the Solo Movie when we reviewed it in July:

" When it comes to stereo performance, the Solo Movie is typical of all Arcam AV kit: warm-sounding and far more musical than many home cinema rivals.

However, it can't quite match the punch and pace of its two-channel Solo sibling."

As for the Naim n-Vi, we said it "has stereo performance that at least matches the best efforts of good-quality budget separates".

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We conducted a movies-and-music Group Test of the Naim, Arcam and Meridian (G95) systems while we were Awards judging.

Results, as ever, in the Awards issue, a mere 17 days away....

A

Anonymous

For the price of a NAIM N-Vi you can buy:

An Arcam FMJ DV139 and an Onkyo TX-SR875.

Am I missing something? Why would I do the former when I can do the latter???

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Because you only have the space and/or your partner only has the tolerance for a one-box system.

As we repeatedly say, all-in-ones are inherently a compromise product, but they suit a specific need. See also iPods vs a hi-fi stack; style speaker packages vs traditional boxes etc etc etc

What we can do as a magazine, however, is steer you in the direction of the systems that are the least compromised.

A

Anonymous

Which is a big help, naturally!

It's so easy, when looking at cute, one box solutions, to lose complete track of the value of money. Especially when your playing with someone elses!

Brings me back to ask whether you can review some in-wall speakers. There is just nothing out there review wise and in a new build / renovation, in-wall would be such a great thing to do. But whose to buy?

My local dealer has brands I've never ever heard of. No-one anywhere has Dali's on show, so it's down to you guys and going by the reviews. Would be ever so helpful if you would.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts