What is good hi fi for you

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
and noise

If it was not you I had a barney with back then sorry, I thought you we had a previous vendetta.

I would have been much nicer had I known it wasnt you lol ;)

Sorry Gazzip I didnt see your post until just now - blame Shadders he def started it, I was minding my own :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
and noise

If it was not you I had a barney with back then sorry, I thought you we had a previous vendetta.

Sorry Gazzip I didnt see your post until just now - blame Shadders he def started it, I was minding my own :)

No worries mate. FWIW I am going to pull the trigger on a JCat isolator when I get paid at the end of the month. All the best, Gazzip.

shadders

ellisdj said:
and noise

Hi,

You can see all your threads you have posted on, so you can check who it was.

I prefer vanilla vendetta, the mint one is horrible.

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
and noise

Hi,

You can see all your threads you have posted on, so you can check who it was.

I prefer vanilla vendetta, the mint one is horrible.

Regards,

Shadders.

I personally have a foot in both of your camps and enjoy reading (and learning from) both points of view. Just not 148 times... *mail1*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip good man you wont regret it. If you do back it the guys at jplay are really good blokes.

If would honestly get and try the iso usb cable as well and send it back if its no better than a printer cable. Until you see one you cant appreciate the quality i won't tell anyone on here though lol

Keep me posted we need to start a new thread but it will be chaos soon as the wrong word triggers the assault. Also have you seen the feedback for it on the jplay forum?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
iMark said:
ellisdj said:
Keep me posted we need to start a new thread but it will be chaos soon as the wrong word triggers the assault. Also have you seen the feedback for it on the jplay forum?

How about the two of you exchange email addresses?

Your signature says it all to me iMark. Nothing high-end.

iMark

Gazzip said:
iMark said:
ellisdj said:

How about the two of you exchange email addresses?

Your signature says it all to me iMark. Nothing high-end.

I've got High End Ixos RCA cables. Don't mock them!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
i think the first step is changing one's mindset and acknowledging that hi if stands for high fiber rather than high fidelity.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If the top model innous zenith with its advertised tripple linear ultra low noise power supply needs an add on product to help it perform.

Then might as well buy the cheapest innous at about £600 then just add the jcat.

My noisy cheap laptop performs very well.

I blame hifi magazines

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That is a very interesting point to make and would make a very good test to do.

How much effect does it have?

Does the fully optimised pc still sound better? You would think / hope so but I dont know the answer to that one.

Good Test could be cheap innuos + isolator vs innuos zenith without isolator - thats a good one if you ask me, learn a lot from that about the importance of the power to the computer. When I added a Linear to my computer in place of a brick style smps I remember it improved the cohesivenes of the sound - when it starts getting busy the sound stayed more in focus and less like sonic mush - hope you know what I mean by that.

Good thread to come out all this - should start one

Just quickly - another point, the zenith doesnt need it, you dont ever need it, however once you have heard an improvement to your system if your anything like me (probably wouldnt want to admit that on here) its hard to go back to listening to it how it was before. Its the taking out rather than the putting in I find is the more obvious change generally, not always obviously

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
If the top model innous zenith with its advertised tripple linear ultra low noise power supply needs an add on product to help it perform.

Then might as well buy the cheapest innous at about £600 then just add the jcat.

My noisy cheap laptop performs very well.

I blame hifi magazines

I am more disappointed that DAC manufacturers don't fit a USB isolator as standard to their products. That is afterall where it belongs.

iMark

I don't have any of these alledged problems with wireless streaming. Our network is excellent and we stream all our ripped CDs from iTunes to our network receiver. Cables are so last century.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
iMark said:
I don't have any of these alledged problems with wireless streaming. Our network is excellent and we stream all our ripped CDs from iTunes to our network receiver. Cables are so last century.

Networking, be it wired Ethernet or wireless, is as you say probably the best method of data transfer available for getting your digital music files from A to B. This is because the data is transmitted in packets with flow-control and re-try for errors with buffering at the end-point device. However most (I cannot think of any) DAC's of any note do not support a wireless or Ethernet input, so you need to convert the network signal to I2S, AES3, S/Pdif or USB to get the signal in to your DAC. Any networking benefit is therefore lost.

iMark

Gazzip said:
However most (I cannot think of any) DAC's of any note do not support a wireless or Ethernet input, so you need to convert the network signal to I2S, AES3, S/Pdif or USB to get the signal in to your DAC. Any networking benefit is therefore lost.

Our Yamaha R-N602 receives AirPlay directly, uses the internal DAC and then amplifies the analogue signal. Integration is the way forward, it seems. However, I don't know which internal conversion and cabling is used inside the box. But the signal paths are as short as they can be, which has to be a good thing.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
iMark said:
Gazzip said:
However most (I cannot think of any) DAC's of any note do not support a wireless or Ethernet input, so you need to convert the network signal to I2S, AES3, S/Pdif or USB to get the signal in to your DAC. Any networking benefit is therefore lost.

Our Yamaha R-N602 receives AirPlay directly, uses the internal DAC and then amplifies the analogue signal. Integration is the way forward, it seems. However, I don't know which internal conversion and cabling is used inside the box. But the signal paths are as short as they can be, which has to be a good thing.

A short cable/signal path is also to my mind a good thing. However there is a school of thought (not just audiophools) that 1.5m is the optimum length for digital cables...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/minimum-length-75-coax-cable-revisited-17280/

The link above takes you to a nice "I'm right...no I'm right...no I'm right" forum thread. Make your own mind up as to where within the truth lies...

shadders

Gazzip said:
iMark said:
Gazzip said:

A short cable/signal path is also to my mind a good thing. However there is a school of thought (not just audiophools) that 1.5m is the optimum length for digital cables...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/minimum-length-75-coax-cable-revisited-17280/

The link above takes you to a nice "I'm right...no I'm right...no I'm right" forum thread. Make your own mind up as to where within the truth lies...
Hi,

My approach would be that to ensure that the source impedance and sink (receiver) impedance is 75ohm which is the same as the characteristic impedance of the coaxial cable. The equipment designs should have ensured that this is implemented, and if not, then I would be, perhaps, concerned over the design quality of the system. Given this, cable length, ensuring not too long, is not an issue.

With regards to the link statements on reflections, I only read the first few comments, but reflections should not be an issue. If there are reflections, then they will have decayed significantly and very quickly compared to each bit duration, hence not affecting the signal. This assumes that the cable is constructed adequately, and the environment is generally not noisy.

If you wish, I can sell you a cable for £399 per 1metre that has double screened sheathing, gold central connection for the BNC, soldered with silver alloy solder. You will be amazed at the improvement in sound. Absolute bargain, available in many colours, which may or may not give you an enhanced experience, and may save you having to paint the carpet to match the colours.

You can purchase them from :

http://www.peoplewithmoremoneythanf*ckingsense.com

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
iMark said:
Gazzip said:

Hi,

My approach would be that to ensure that the source impedance and sink (receiver) impedance is 75ohm which is the same as the characteristic impedance of the coaxial cable. The equipment designs should have ensured that this is implemented, and if not, then I would be, perhaps, concerned over the design quality of the system. Given this, cable length, ensuring not too long, is not an issue.

With regards to the link statements on reflections, I only read the first few comments, but reflections should not be an issue. If there are reflections, then they will have decayed significantly and very quickly compared to each bit duration, hence not affecting the signal. This assumes that the cable is constructed adequately, and the environment is generally not noisy.

If you wish, I can sell you a cable for £399 per 1metre that has double screened sheathing, gold central connection for the BNC, soldered with silver alloy solder. You will be amazed at the improvement in sound. Absolute bargain, available in many colours, which may or may not give you an enhanced experience, and may save you having to paint the carpet to match the colours.

Regards,

Shadders.

Thanks for the kind offer Shadders, but as I said before I don't really do fancy cables.

What I am aiming to do is to keep an open mind, try new stuff, make up my own mind about certain things. I find that makes my life so much more interesting than it would be if all I did was to parrot other people's views, and in doing so I closed down my own sphere of personal experience.

Try some stuff Shadders and report back your own primary experiences to the forum for a change.

shadders

Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
iMark said:
Gazzip said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Thanks for the kind offer Shadders, but as I said before I don't really do fancy cables.

What I am aiming to do is to keep an open mind, try new stuff, make up my own mind about certain things. I find that makes my life so much more interesting than it would be if all I did was to parrot other people's views, and in doing so I closed down my own sphere of personal experience.

Try some stuff Shadders and report back your own primary experiences to the forum for a change.
Hi,

I have tried cables and there are no differences. I am not repeating parrot fashion I understand electrical and electronic engineering. So do many others on this forum.

People are also aware of expectation bias, with regards to known areas where there is no scientific basis for selling "special" products.

On this thread I have commented that the Isolator may provide benefits.

I do have an open mind, but that does not mean I should absolve myself of common sense to appease others and their point of view.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

ellisdj said:
Did you develop common sense after you tried your cables or did you have some before?
Hi,

We all have common sense, and education, where my education in relation to the detailed understanding of electrical and electronic engineering, was after trying the expensive phono cable, and before trying biwiring. I read hifi reviews and believed what was written.

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
shadders said:
Gazzip said:
iMark said:
Gazzip said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I have tried cables and there are no differences. I am not repeating parrot fashion I understand electrical and electronic engineering. So do many others on this forum.

People are also aware of expectation bias, with regards to known areas where there is no scientific basis for selling "special" products.

On this thread I have commented that the Isolator may provide benefits.

I do have an open mind, but that does not mean I should absolve myself of common sense to appease others and their point of view.

Regards,

Shadders.

Science has no explanation for the make up 96% of the universe, and yet you and your cohort take it upon yourselves to tell people day in and day out that anything with no scientifically proven basis has no basis whatsoever and does not exist. Stepping outside of that "proven" 4% (which is disproved and re-defined every few years by the next bright spark scientist) is absolvement of common sense is it? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts