What is good hi fi for you

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes there is, and it did not cost you anything, they are called ears, and they are your only true bench mark, or reference to sound, so what makes good hifi? its your ears, it will either sound good to you or it wont, and opinions count for nothing, if you cant hear it yourself, it personal, its a bond between you and the music, which often gets overlooked on here.£500 may not sound as good to you as a £1000, but then it also works the other way around, and when £1000 does sound better than £500, its does not mean it sounds twice as good. Its all an illusion, and the best thing to do, is don’t buy hifi mags, don’t join forums, don’t read reviews, take no notice of opinions and just enjoy the music, if its not broke, don’t fix it, But if you are looking to buy for any reason, then only way to go about things is to actual go to a hifi store, and try before you buy because the only opinion that’s counts is yours, i cant decide what you will like or dislike, its hard enough deciding for myself. I dont believe expensive cables and speaker wire make a difference, does not make me right or wrong, just as the opposite view does not make you wrong or right, its just makes us different and no argument or debate required, its as simple as that, luckylion100, spot on fella ;)

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
ellisdj said:
FAO Electro - this is what I found looking for something else a month or so ago.

Just an idea for you dude you have the space to do ti

I love those diffusers !

If you saw my room in it's present state you would either laugh or cry or maybe think I have totally lost it .

I have built my own modified version of the Viking studios attack wall out of 1.2m tall rolls of loft insulation and I have to say the sound quality results are far better than it looks !

I will be adding some black acoustic fabric to the "attack wall" *smile*
Your single right? lol

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Simon Cunvin said:
Electro said:
ellisdj said:
FAO Electro - this is what I found looking for something else a month or so ago.

I love those diffusers !

If you saw my room in it's present state you would either laugh or cry or maybe think I have totally lost it .

I have built my own modified version of the Viking studios attack wall out of 1.2m tall rolls of loft insulation and I have to say the sound quality results are far better than it looks !

Your single right? lol

I can understand why you might think so *biggrin* , but no I am married with two grown up kids and the wife is still living with me!

She is very understanding of my needs at least when it comes to music and HiFi and I have my own room / man cave to play in.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro mate

Watch this on something with decent sound so you can hear the differences in the diffusion

Puts the books as diffusion myth to bed

But more important for you it shows how polyfusors effect the sound - that is essentially what you have created there - high freq poly fusors - again good to be aware of these things.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro dude - I am glad your vist here had an influence - doesnt look crazy to me its just whatever it takes mate as I have said

Only thing I would say is get measuring the room so you can place those rolls of insulation in the best spots. As they are covered in plastic they wont be absorbing much high mids / top which is fine as doing bass first is best. Monitor the rooms RT60 - you wont want that too low because of how you like a more live sound but because of the room volume and lack of stuff in it it will naturally be very high so bringin that down a bit will be a good thing for resolution.

Doing it by ear and guess work is near impossible mate - however its addictive isnt it - the benefits you get far outweigh the cost.

You are lucky you have the room dimensions and free reign of the room to make your room the best sounding room pretty much anyone will ever hear. You already have good kit so just investing time and money in your room will unleash some serious sound - to your taste. You could work wonders in there.

Diffusion is amazing in the way it works - it appears expensive and it is - however its a life long investment, so while messing around with diy stuff is fine you will find you get better and more predicatble result from the pro made gear so its better just to start investing in it asap because you save money in the long run. Althought your loft will get an extra layer when your done to save on your heating bills lol :)

One issue you will always have is bass - your sitting the middle of the room and a big room at that - that is the zone of the room with the least bass pressure - while that might remove bass problems its also removing your overall bass level. Trying to fix this with traps will require a monstrous amount of them - I could link several videos to explain this. EDIT - even then its still the worst place. You might get better bass results with the rule of 1/3's setup I watched a video on that yesterday. No idea just a suggestion

Just be mindful of that fact and again if you measure you can see - however its a horrific thing to see what you think is great sound actually measuring horrendously - its the biggest kick in the knackers any sound enthusiast can get but you learn so much from it overall.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Simon Cunvin said:
Electro said:
ellisdj said:

I love those diffusers !

Your single right? lol

I can understand why you might think so *biggrin* , but no I am married with two grown up kids and the wife is still living with me!

She is very understanding of my needs at least when it comes to music and HiFi and I have my own room / man cave to play in.

Nice Electro...Nice... Do you find the musical presentation to be warmer and the highs to be more lofty since completing this install? Did you get a government grant for it? *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts