What Hi*Fi Speaker reviews, more info needed?

28marcus

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys, just been reading the review of the Mission SX2. As I'm in the market for some new bookshelf speakers reviews like this are an invaluable source for creating a short list.

However, I feel my short list could be even shorter if a bit more basic info was given such as;-

Speaker positioning - is it ok on a bookshelf close to a wall or do they require freespace?

Is it ported if so where (obviously not front ported on the SX2) or, is it a closed cabinet design?

Dimensions would be good so as to work out will it fi?

Is it bi-wireable?

And before anyone suggest checking out the manufacturers site most of them are short on details, NEAT for example say very little about the design of their speakers and most manuals are generalised.

Is it just me or in the 'information' age are we not getting what we really want/need?

Rant over....

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes some good points. Re sizes go into the tech specs for those.

Judging by the size I would not have thought they were good for bookshelves.

The problem I have with reviews is they are in specially treated rooms, so even if they do say can be near a wall that wall will not be like my or your living room no doubt, so all reviews should be taken lightly. Most bookshelf speakers are better on stands a foot or 2 away from walls, there are a few that can close to walls.

28marcus

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad it's just not me. I agree with your points about taking reviews lightly but we all use them as a starting point. I have more frustration than most as I live in France in the middle of no-where. I create a shortlist, arrange some demos in the UK and fly over to check them out. I hate wasting my time because I can't find the info I want.

Anyone want to open a hifi shop with me in France, they are few and far between over here.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
So you need bookshelf speakers upto £700?

What other gear do you have? What music do you play?

I also notice the SX2s are rather insensitive at 85db at 6ohms.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
The problem I have with reviews is they are in specially treated rooms, so even if they do say can be near a wall that wall will not be like my or your living room no doubt, so all reviews should be taken lightly. Most bookshelf speakers are better on stands a foot or 2 away from walls, there are a few that can close to walls.

My problem is that so many speakers are "designed" to be used in specially treated rooms. Why do so few companies make speakers designed to be used near a wall (or that at least can be used near one without totally destroying the sound)?

Firstly, how many people really have listening rooms big enough to accomodate speakers that are several feet away from the wall?

Secondly, even if they have space, how many persons are ok with how that looks in a room?

People wall mount the TV, so it takes up minimal space in the room, and then have to setup speakers 3 feet away from the walls.

Also, why can't most BOOKSHELF speakers be used on an actual bookshelf? Why sould they be designed to require the use of some ugly stands?

Apologies to the OP for my offtopic rant, but I really wonder why we just seem to accept these things in HiFi...

T

the record spot

I think for most people, frequency response would be a relatively meaningless figure - no disrespect Steve - i think Hi Fi World puts them in though, but I imagine that has a slightly different type of readership to WHFS&V. If they put the impedance figure in that's probably going to be enough for most folk. Add the corresponding relationship to amplifier power then you're probably peaking for the majority of the readership.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
My speaker manual suggests placing them 6-9 feet apart with 3 feet away from side walls. Who has a wall that's 12-15 foot long with no doors or anything in the way, lucky people but not the average listener I wouldn't imagine.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My view is that all magazine reviews are, let's say limited rather than flawed. What I look for is a trend from reading as many pro & user reviews as possible. The word many use on this forum a lot is synergy. This is particularly important regarding speaker reviews. Do reviewers have the time & resources to try enough ancillary gear to get that match made in heaven? I doubt it. Hopefully, they do use their experience of hearing far more equipment than the average forum member does & mentions stuff like positioning, being a difficult load or not but cannot cover every base.

gasolin

Yes a bit more info in a review like if it's a speaker , what is a good recomendation for cables and amplifiers so it will sound best for the money and what to awoid, which kind of amplifiers and cable.

Like i have a Denon mini system (DRA-F109) and now Dali zensor 1 (sounds much different the the system audio i had) They don't had the Qed Performance Optical audio cable so i got another one, but QED original they had, i have read a lot about this cable so i wanted it.

Qed Original might not be the best for the money for the zensor 1 so if in the review they had told us not to get something like the QED Original i may not have bought it OR if in the review they say it sounds just right with the QED Original i would have bought it.

Hope you get my point ;)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
I think for most people, frequency response would be a relatively meaningless figure - no disrespect Steve - i think Hi Fi World puts them in though, but I imagine that has a slightly different type of readership to WHFS&V. If they put the impedance figure in that's probably going to be enough for most folk. Add the corresponding relationship to amplifier power then you're probably peaking for the majority of the readership.

Even if they don't mention the frequency responce in the actual review itself they should at least include it in the 'Tech specs' along with the size, max power handling, sensitivity and Impedance.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned the other day in another thread some of these small speakers are not so small, some of them are down right big. Seeing a speaker that stands 30cm x 22 x 30cm on a 3ft stand in the flesh ...so to speak are bigger and take up more room tham most will imagine. Not familiar with those SX but the MX boxes are fairly big for book shelfs.

good luck with your hunting.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think for any review to be truly useful, it should tell the reader what the partnering equipment was and what test tracks were used.

If it's speakers that are the subject of the review, then perhaps info on the amp is key.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
As mentioned the other day in another thread some of these small speakers are not so small, some of them are down right big. Seeing a speaker that stands 30cm x 22 x 30cm on a 3ft stand in the flesh ...so to speak are bigger and take up more room tham most will imagine. Not familiar with those SX but the MX boxes are fairly big for book shelfs.

good luck with your hunting.

My speakers are about 30x 18 x 26 and I think they are small. If you think 30cm x 22 x 30cm is large then the SX2s will be enormous at 38x23x37.

As the room is a large factor for speakers I think some more info. could be given about placement.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Singslinger said:
I think for any review to be truly useful, it should tell the reader what the partnering equipment was and what test tracks were used. If it's speakers that are the subject of the review, then perhaps info on the amp is key.

Years ago they used to give out this info. esp. music. Other mags still do.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I totally agree with the points made. We'll make sure things like ports, speaker position and some indication of dimensions is made in forthcoming speaker reviews.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
I totally agree with the points made. We'll make sure things like ports, speaker position and some indication of dimensions is made in forthcoming speaker reviews.

Thats great.

Out of interest what size is your auditioning room?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Ketan Bharadia said:

Thats great.

This might answer your question :)

http://www.whathifi.com/how-we-test

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
BigH said:
Ketan Bharadia said:

Thats great.

Thanks thats very useful, does not give the sizes but at least an idea.

One suggestion would be to try the speakers in the small room to check for positioning closer to walls which would be typical in many homes.

BigH said:
Electro said:
BigH said:
Ketan Bharadia said:

Thats great.

Thanks thats very useful, does not give the sizes but at least an idea.

One suggestion would be to try the speakers in the small room to check for positioning closer to walls which would be typical in many homes.

Having visited the 'Towers' a few years ago, the main hi-fi testing room is a little larger than the average suburban living room, although wouldn't like to guess on dimensions. My living room is around 17' x 13' and the width (narrow side) of WHFI's dem room is a few inches wider, but wouldn't put a figure on it.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What i would like to see is more reviews, some brands are not covered at all and some only a few products, for instance Harbeth speakers, Creek amps, Musical Fid. Int amps, only one Arcam Int. amp in last 4 years? It seems that some brands get reviewed all the time like Marantz, Rotel, Cyrus and Unison Research (7).

Yes I realised that you can't review everything but there do seem to be quite a few gaps.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Ajani said:
Also, why can't most BOOKSHELF speakers be used on an actual bookshelf? Why sould they be designed to require the use of some ugly stands?

It's a great question, but an even better one would be, why use a standmount at all, especially a chunkier one that needs a heavy stand? A floorstanding speaker that is the same size as the standmount, but extruded all the way to the floor, will take up exactly as much space and will outperform the standmount every time. So why do people buy standmount+stand despite no advantages? It's got something to do with WAF but like most things related to that, makes no sense at all.

That said, my current main system features standmounted speakers with heavy stands, but just give me a little time...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:

I think it'd also be useful to have a box containing some very basic technical information. The maximum power handling, impedance and the frequency response are important infomation aswell as the speakers dimensions.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
SpursGator said:
Ajani said:

... A floorstanding speaker that is the same size as the standmount, but extruded all the way to the floor, will take up exactly as much space and will outperform the standmount every time. ...That said, my current main system features standmounted speakers with heavy stands, but just give me a little time...

Every time? Not sure if everyone will agree on that point despite currently using slim towers without having to worry about matching to stands. If it wasn't for the extra 2.5kg of sand in each, they would blow over in a breeze! My old SL6s weighed more & their stands even more so. B&W PM1s may not have the last word in bass repro but hell, they are damn fine with vocals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts