What HD recorder is best suited to my tv?

peachy7

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello all.....

Ive done as much research as i can but im getting soooooo lost. Basically i have a Panasonic viera TX-L42FT60B tv and ive jsut cancelled my sky tv subscription. So im now in the market for a freeview HD recorder which has twin tuners so i can record two channels and wifi with lovefilm attached too into the bargain as panasonics smart tv's dont have lovefilm jsut netflix.

Those are the only important things i need. im not bothered about drive space really , i jsut need it to work well with my tv. I was initially looking at samsung and youview players but im at a loss as to what im really doing and looking at.

:oops: Any help greatly received.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If Lovefilm is key then YouView is out I think as I don't believe any of these boxes come with that app. Otherwise I would heartily recommend the Humax YouView box - there's a new one being released soon with a 2 TB drive in it which would provide a lot of space for recorded programmes - if you don't need that much, I suspect this will mean the 1 TB box will drop in price.

One of the big benefits of YouView is the ease of watching up catch-up TV through BBC iPlayer, ITV Player etc. Instead of going into a portal, then searching for the programme you want, you just rewind the guide to when the programme was on (assuming it was within the last 7 days), then select it and click Play - very simple. It also has an iPhone / Andriod app that lets you schedule recordings while you're out and about which I find very useful.

abacus

You View does not have Love Film or Netflix, however it does have Sky Now (Films only for £8.99 a month with no contract) and Sky Store (Pay as you view films).

A retail BT version can be had for about £160 (it just a rebadged Humax DTR1000 which has the same features as the DTR1010 with just a few software variations from BT)

NOTE: You Do NOT need a BT Internet contract to use it.

Hope this helps

Bill

daveh75

peachy7 said:
Hello all.....

Ive done as much research as i can but im getting soooooo lost. Basically i have a Panasonic viera TX-L42FT60B tv and ive jsut cancelled my sky tv subscription. So im now in the market for a freeview HD recorder which has twin tuners so i can record two channels and wifi with lovefilm attached too into the bargain as panasonics smart tv's dont have lovefilm jsut netflix.

Those are the only important things i need. im not bothered about drive space really , i jsut need it to work well with my tv. I was initially looking at samsung and youview players but im at a loss as to what im really doing and looking at.

:oops: Any help greatly received.

You mention Freeview, but do you have an aerial? You maybe better off with Freesat as you already have the dish.

I would recommend the Humax HDR-1000S and Freesat <freetime> also integrates catch up into the EPG like Youview.

Lovefilm (now Amazon instant video) isn't available on any STB as far as I'm aware, they certainly don't list any

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/ontv/devices

TRENDING THREADS