What do you look for when buying speakers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Surely now the speakers are in you can go and have a listen to them and see if you like them?
Yeah, but he'd still have no idea how they sound compared to... say a £720 pair of Coincident Victory speakers.

jjbomber

ellisdj said:
Surely now the speakers are in you can go and have a listen to them and see if you like them?

He cancelled the REL subwoofer without listening to it either. I'm sure Richer Sounds love him by now!!! It's a bit like John lewis with GEL.

Apart from that, we will all looking in the open box section of Richer Sounds for some cheap Dali speakers. I hope they were the wood finish.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
there demo room is so small as I did listen to the Dali rubicon 5s in there demo room and they sounded bass heavy and then I went to a different place and had a demo with the rubicon 6s which sounded better in a bigger room .

So it would be pointless even trying the Dali rubicon 8s in a smaller demo room

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
ellisdj said:

He cancelled the REL subwoofer without listening to it either. I'm sure Richer Sounds love him by now!!! It's a bit like John lewis with GEL.

Apart from that, we will all looking in the open box section of Richer Sounds for some cheap Dali speakers. I hope they were the wood finish.
yes but I had a perfectly good reason I brought a SVS subwoofer which is a lot better sub

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
What about ATC SCM 40 There some on eBay for £2225 

They are imo over priced at that price as they are mk1

You will need to visit a lot of hifi shops to test lots of brands over next few months

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
What about ATC SCM 40 There some on eBay for £2225 

You will need to visit a lot of hifi shops to test lots of brands over next few months
ok brand new they are £3500 or a little bit more but under £4000 are ATCs any good ? Andrew 

Yes they are the best imo
But should mean nothing to you and you may hate them.
I'd take a guess as to they are nothing like you have ATM in presentation.

I'd be looking at ATC SCM 50 or ATC SCM 100 as a starting point

But the hifi version with the wood finish are very expensive.

A cheaper alternative is the pro models in studio form and an unattractive black finish around 7500 to 9000
But then again these are active speakers and you have stated you prefer passive.

So I personally don't think they are for you.

For me I could be as rich as anything but I'd still buy active ATC with benchmark pre/dac.

There are not many speakers about manufactured in the 90s that can still be serviced/repaired now and still gets a very good price 2nd hand. I'm sure Lindsay would have something to say about that also.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
What about ATC SCM 40 There some on eBay for £2225

ok brand new they are £3500 or a little bit more but under £4000 are ATCs any good ? Andrew

Yes they are the best imo But should mean nothing to you and you may hate them. I'd take a guess as to they are nothing like you have ATM in presentation.

I'd be looking at ATC SCM 50 or ATC SCM 100 as a starting point

But the hifi version with the wood finish are very expensive.

A cheaper alternative is the pro models in studio form and an unattractive black finish around 7500 to 9000 But then again these are active speakers and you have stated you prefer passive.

So I personally don't think they are for you.

For me I could be as rich as anything but I'd still buy active ATC with benchmark pre/dac.

There are not many speakers about manufactured in the 90s that can still be serviced/repaired now and still gets a very good price 2nd hand. I'm sure Lindsay would have something to say about that also.

I hated the ATC SCM40's I had, couldn't live with them after six months, but that was the MKI model so the newer model may well be much improved.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
ellisdj said:
there demo room is so small as I did listen to the Dali rubicon 5s in there demo room and they sounded bass heavy and then I went to a different place and had a demo with the rubicon 6s which sounded better in a bigger room .

So it would be pointless even trying the Dali rubicon 8s in a smaller demo room

No, it won't if they also have the rubicons 8

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For me outside of how something sounds I read about the technology being used in the drivers etc. In addition to this a massive part of it has to be design and finish and the quality of this. Lastly is the specification I know which speakers my amplifier will drive and what it will not.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
i like the look of the KLIPSCH HERESY III  anyone know if they are any good ? but they would need stands and they have a 15'' driver  they are big speakers but never heard horns before 

They are good I'm lead to believe but may be bass light
According to some.

Ask Lindsay he's the only one here id value the opinion regarding these.
Or Vlad but he's not hear sadly.

I could pop in the audioaffair and have a listen over next few months for you.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
i like the look of the KLIPSCH HERESY III anyone know if they are any good ? but they would need stands and they have a 15'' driver they are big speakers but never heard horns before

They are good I'm lead to believe but may be bass light According to some.

Ask Lindsay he's the only one here id value the opinion regarding these. Or Vlad but he's not hear sadly.

I could pop in the audioaffair and have a listen over next few months for you.
I was just wondering about them but looking around the internet at reviews they are very easy to drive and 3 watts the police would be around but they would need stands to bring them up higher to ear level .

I like that old look but hard to demo that’s the trouble

gasolin

Yamaha NS-F901
Yamaha_Soavo_NSF901_A.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
No I haven’t it’s just the thought of having everything Yamaha and everybody will be calling me Mr Yamaha *smile*

At the moment your are Mr 75% Yamaha, (amp, cdp and streamer), why not make it 100% *biggrin* Better than being called Mr Linn or Mr Naim; I am known as Mr Marantz *smile* Do I care... nah.

In all seriousness don't write the Yam's of until you've heard them mate.

gasolin

The ns 10, ns1000 m and there affordable HS5/50 HS7 and HS8/80 are one of the biggest classics in the studio monitor industry, yamaha knows how to make speakers. I wouldn't be worried about being called mr yamaha as long as it sounds good and if yamaha have a good synergy ;-)

Mabye one of these could be more interesting than the floorstand speaker, much cheaper and you get something special and old classic speaker. Made in the 1970's where they knew how to play rock music black sabbath,led zeppelin,Queen (my favorite), pink floyd (also my favorite), deep purple. https://audionostalgia.co.uk/yamaha-ns-1000-m-review/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bInk9LKg7h4&index=2&list=RDzkgba9QXmWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7yFX2N7ZXM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.XYamaha+NS-1000m.TRS0&_nkw=Yamaha+NS-1000m&_sacat=0

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
No I haven’t it’s just the thought of having everything Yamaha and everybody will be calling me Mr Yamaha *smile*

At the moment your are Mr 75% Yamaha, (amp, cdp and streamer), why not make it 100% *biggrin* Better than being called Mr Linn or Mr Naim; I am known as Mr Marantz *smile* Do I care... nah.

In all seriousness don't write the Yam's of until you've heard them mate.
not sure if Yamaha are still making them but I did read that the models before the flagship model came out wasn’t that good but the reviews for the F907 speaker are pretty good available in white gloss or black gloss and built very well going by the reviews .

Ive seen prices from £1800 to £2999

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
The ns 10, ns1000 m and there affordable HS5/50 HS7 and HS8/80 are one of the biggest classics in the studio monitor industry, yamaha knows how to make speakers. I wouldn't be worried about being called mr yamaha as long as it sounds good and if yamaha have a good synergy ;-)

Mabye one of these could be more interesting than the floorstand speaker, much cheaper and you get something special and old classic speaker. Made in the 1970's where they knew how to play rock music black sabbath,led zeppelin,Queen (my favorite), pink floyd (also my favorite), deep purple. https://audionostalgia.co.uk/yamaha-ns-1000-m-review/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bInk9LKg7h4&index=2&list=RDzkgba9QXmWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7yFX2N7ZXM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.XYamaha+NS-1000m.TRS0&_nkw=Yamaha+NS-1000m&_sacat=0
actually that’s a really good speaker and probably my favourite I actually like the old Ns1000 and prices for that speaker still go for £1500 upwards depending on condition and they made 2 versions one in black studio style and one in brown Verne for jo public to blind in with there brown furniture and that model is actually made a little better .

but the modern NS 1000 is out of my reach as it sells for £££££

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts