What do you look for when buying speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you remind me - Have you heard the Rubicon 8s with Yamaha?

I'm sure you have read the Stereophile review of the Rubicons...which highlight just how much the Tweeter arrangement isn't "backward about coming forward".

This has the effect of making lesser recordings much less palatable and comments like, "However, the piano sounded a touch too clangorous through the DALIs, and the sound was overlaid with some high-frequency fricatives: an f-f-f-f modulation noise that seemed to be emphasized by the ribbon supertweeters."

If I found this to be the case, it would be a deal breaker, as it crosses over into the analytical....but some people like this highly detailed presentation.

I don't say this to put you off...but to make sure you give them a good listen, with your Amp/Source, before committing.

I would want to listen to some of my less well recorded stuff and hear if it highlighted any anomalies in my system eg. Silver Coated Cables.

You have a well balanced system ATM....and you certainly don't want to spend 2k unbalancing it.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
To buy something sometimes clouds good judgement.

I think cno has touched on these points but unless you are 100% sure you may be better off waiting until you've heard them or something else.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Can you remind me - Have you heard the Rubicon 8s with Yamaha?

I'm sure you have read the Stereophile review of the Rubicons...which highlight just how much the Tweeter arrangement isn't "backward about coming forward".

This has the effect of making lesser recordings much less palatable and comments like, "However, the piano sounded a touch too clangorous through the DALIs, and the sound was overlaid with some high-frequency fricatives: an f-f-f-f modulation noise that seemed to be emphasized by the ribbon supertweeters."

If I found this to be the case, it would be a deal breaker, as it crosses over into the analytical....but some people like this highly detailed presentation.

I don't say this to put you off...but to make sure you give them a good listen, with your Amp/Source, before committing.

I would want to listen to some of my less well recorded stuff and hear if it highlighted any anomalies in my system eg. Silver Coated Cables.

You have a well balanced system ATM....and you certainly don't want to spend 2k unbalancing it.

+1

Sliced Bread

For me it is midrange first, then trebble and bass, though it does all have to work well together.

Outside of that it’s about how it will fit in my room from size and cosmetics point of view.

Driver technology etc matters little to me. There are good and bad speakers out there using both exotic and vanilla materials

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. If I was considering speakers around the 4k mark, there are 2 benchmarks that I would want it to beat:

1. Kef Ref 1s.....This Standmount sounds more like a Floorstander....with a Frequency Response very similar to my 205/2s. (and Kef tend not to exaggerate).

2. ATC SCM 40s.

I have heard how formidably good the former is; and people I trust rate the latter. They are both fairly Insensitive, but your amp should still be up to the job.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Cno

Q Acoustics Concept 500’s are also worthy of consideration.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Looks like that's 3 speakers the Dali would need to beat....and they're nicely Sensitive as well.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Cno

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Looks like that's 3 speakers the Dali would need to beat....and they're nicely Sensitive as well.
I have just cancelled the order for the rubicon 8s as it just didn’t feel right and I personally like the Dali opticon 8s because of the 8” drivers and they are clear sounding and detailed .

But now I’ve cancelled the rubicon 8s what direction do I go now keep looking for better speakers or do I buy a really good streamer budget £2000 as my opticons are not for trade in now unless you recommend to keep looking for better speakers that go really well with Yamaha .

But it was a hard choice to cancel the order as I felt the rubicon 8s would have been a step up on the opticon 8s even though the opticon 8s Do a really good job and insider would probably agree with me on that they are great sounding speakers for £2000 and I feel would take a very special speaker for me to change them .

if you say buy a really good streamer I will start a new thread so we can look at the options that are available

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think you can either go with the RS deal and spend what you’ve saved already on the basis that you’ve doubled your money and so should get a real improvement, or keep saving accept the depreciation on the Opticon 8s and then go hunting with more options open.

Its not like the Opticons are junk.

James

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
I think you can either go with the RS deal and spend what you’ve saved already on the basis that you’ve doubled your money and so should get a real improvement, or keep saving accept the depreciation on the Opticon 8s and then go hunting with more options open.

Its not like the Opticons are junk.

James
that’s the thing they are really good speakers but I’ve cancelled now so I would just be mucking them around which I have done already as they ordered them in specially for me but I hate mucking people around so feel a bit **** about it .

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You’re not messing anybody about mate they know they don’t make a sale every time. How many times do you think David or Rick see the same guy come through the doors a dozen times and sell only once or not at all?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I think you've made the right decision...it just seemed both blind and rushed (to take advantage of a good offer, rather than because it was the best way forward).

Bear in mind, that as you get better and better speakers, they will shine a stronger light on the Source.

If it was me (and it isn't), I would be looking at Sources...my recommendation is of course the Majik DS, but there are other options.

There is no rush, so do this once and do it right. Your current speakers will take another jump forward with a better Front End and would likely be improved again with some Gaias.

When all that has settled in and finances have recovered....then the speaker hunt can begin....and there are too many good options around 4k to concentrate solely on the Dalis.

Meanwhile, if you get the chance to hear other stuff, either at shop demos or musical evenings...then go along for the ride. Shows are very hit and miss regarding SQ, but are also worth a shot.

gasolin

Has been asked before but not about this speaker, what about the bookshelf,compact speakers epicon 2, about the same size as the dali zensor 3's and they cost the same as the rubicon 8's.

I guess you had the zensor 3's in the same room with the marantz PM6005 and with up to 200watt in 4ohm you have enough watt to play loud.

Personally i do want a bit bass but what i want more is that it sounds good rather than having to much bass

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
that’s the thing they are really good speakers but I’ve cancelled now so I would just be mucking them around which I have done already as they ordered them in specially for me but I hate mucking people around so feel a bit **** about it .
Dealers take the rough with the smooth, have done decent business with you and will have realised that you are doing your best to make the right decision. It looks like they have enough time to stop the order. Ideally, they should have this model in stock to try.

You can't really be expected to buy blind....and how you feel now, isn't as bad as you would feel if you spent 2k and regretted it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Dealers take the rough with the smooth, have done decent business with you and will have realised that you are doing your best to make the right decision. It looks like they have enough time to stop the order. Ideally, they should have this model in stock to try.

You can't really be expected to buy blind....and how you feel now, isn't as bad as you would feel if you spent 2k and regretted it.
when I phoned up to cancel the rubicon 8s had just come in so obviously Dali got a move on sending them

D

Deleted member 108165

gasolin said:
Just a thought, what do cables do you use?

Please don't turn this into another ruddy cable thread *diablo*

Personally I think BS has done the right thing by cancelling his order.... and relax *smile*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Buying new Kef or Dali speakers for £4k to £8k makes no sense whatsoever.

For the same money or less buy modern used slimline speakers with Accuton drivers.

Coincident, Vaughn, Kharma, plus a few others have used them.

Talking of Coincident, for £4000 you could fly to Chicago with the Mrs, hire an SUV, pick these up for under a thousand bucks (£720), go for a leisurely tour of the north east United States, and sail home with them on the Queen Mary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COINCIDENT-VICTORY-SPEAKER-Tested-Work-Great-Good-Shape-Black/273138557025?hash=item3f9853a061:g:gi0AAOSwKNhaYV6V

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Cno

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
I have just cancelled the order for the rubicon 8s as it just didn’t feel right and I personally like the Dali opticon 8s because of the 8” drivers and they are clear sounding and detailed .

But now I’ve cancelled the rubicon 8s what direction do I go now keep looking for better speakers or do I buy a really good streamer budget £2000 as my opticons are not for trade in now unless you recommend to keep looking for better speakers that go really well with Yamaha .

But it was a hard choice to cancel the order as I felt the rubicon 8s would have been a step up on the opticon 8s even though the opticon 8s Do a really good job and insider would probably agree with me on that they are great sounding speakers for £2000 and I feel would take a very special speaker for me to change them .

if you say buy a really good streamer I will start a new thread so we can look at the options that are available

You don't have to upgrade just because you can

Spent on new music,not something you already have

Just a thought, what cables do you use?

Read from here Pro-Ject Debut III turntable, NAD PP2 phono preamp, NAD C 720BEE integrated amplifier, Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 floorstanders—around her existing furniture and stuff. (Hmm. I could relate.) He figured he'd gotten the system sounding as good as possible, but felt he was long overdue for a cable upgrade. For the last several years, he'd been using the simple, cheap interconnects included with his NAD gear.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
DougK said:
gasolin said:
Just a thought, what do cables do you use?

Please don't turn this into another ruddy cable thread *diablo*

Personally I think BS has done the right thing by cancelling his order.... and relax *smile*

I just want to know what he has, since he never talk about what cable he uses
cables audioquest rocket 33 solid core speaker cables in 3 meter lengths and 3 sets of RCAs but only one set is being used at the moment made by chord cost about £100 a set .

XLR cables used to connect amplifier and CD player unbranded as they where made up using mic cables

And co- axial cable again chord company connected to my Yamaha wxc50 to my Yamaha CD player because it’s using the onboard Dac on my CD player

I am afraid I do not really spend a great deal on cables as long as they are well made and screened that’s all I care about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts